Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>bottle or no bottle?
sddaycare 11:41 AM 07-23-2014
I have a 2 year old boy I have been keeping for almost 3 months. The first couple of weeks mom brought him with a bottle and a sippy cup. She wanted me to offer the bottle first and if he didnt take it I could give the cup. I always offered the bottle first, he would say no and reach for his cup. I thought this was great, right, weaning off the bottle should always be this easy! She eventually stopped sending the bottle because he never used it here. About 2 weeks ago, two bottles came and mom was explaining she really wants him to drink out of the bottle, and how I need to encourage the bottle use and praise him for using it. I've been sending them both home, telling her that he doesnt want them and wont drink them for me. She doesnt think I'm trying hard enough. Have any of you ever had a parent that wants their child back on the bottle? Her only reason is that when he doesnt take them here he doesnt think he should have to take them at home. I really dont see the problem, ditch the bottles already! Any thoughts?
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 07-23-2014
If he is given the choice between the two, he is always going to prefer the bottle.

My rules say I cannot put ANYTHING in a bottle beyond 12 months.

ALL liquids must be served in a cup (lidded or not) after the child's first birthday.
melilley 11:46 AM 07-23-2014
A two year old that still has a bottle?
Here, bottles are gone within a couple of months after they turn 1, if not sooner.
Do you know why she wants him to have a bottle? Seems strange unless there is a developmental issue, even then?.
sddaycare 11:47 AM 07-23-2014
But he doesnt prefer the bottle, he asks for his cup every time when he's here. If I try to give the bottle he pushes it away and reaches for his cup. Only mom wants me to force the bottle.
preschoolteacher 11:48 AM 07-23-2014
No, no bottle. That is very weird. What is he drinking from his bottle?
sddaycare 11:49 AM 07-23-2014
Absolutely no reason for the bottle other than mom wants him to have it. He is a very smart 2 year old, no medical reasons, or developmental reasons.
melilley 11:51 AM 07-23-2014
Weird, maybe she thinks he's getting more fluids out of a bottle than out of a cup.?
NeedaVaca 11:59 AM 07-23-2014
There are tons of articles regarding when to stop giving bottles, AAP says 1 year, no later than 18 mths. Give her some print outs...
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by sddaycare:
Absolutely no reason for the bottle other than mom wants him to have it. He is a very smart 2 year old, no medical reasons, or developmental reasons.
Have you straight up asked mom why she is pushing the bottle?

Sounds like mom wants him to remain a baby for whatever reason.

I've heard some pretty weird/odd stories start out that way.

I would simply tell mom no. NO bottles at daycare and her inability to allow him to grow and develop some independence is concerning.
spinnymarie 12:04 PM 07-23-2014
2 year old boy
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I cannot put ANYTHING in a bottle beyond 12 months.
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
There are tons of articles regarding when to stop giving bottles, AAP says 1 year, no later than 18 mths. Give her some print outs...

I'd give her the licensing too plus the articles, and NO bottles at daycare, ever.
sddaycare 12:18 PM 07-23-2014
That's exactly what it is, Blackcat. She carries him in, tries to handoff to me but I immediately set him on the floor. As soon as she gets here to pick up, she lifts and carries him around. He struggles and tries to push away from her but she insists on carrying him. I'm sure she just wants him to be her baby a while longer. I've been doing daycare for fifteen years and all of my kiddos have been bottle free shortly after their first birthday, so I've never had to put anything in my handbook regarding this! Guess I will definitely be adding! Thanks!
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 07-23-2014
That's exactly what it is, Blackcat. She carries him in, tries to handoff to me but I immediately set him on the floor. As soon as she gets here to pick up, she lifts and carries him around. He struggles and tries to push away from her but she insists on carrying him. I'm sure she just wants him to be her baby a while longer. I've been doing daycare for fifteen years and all of my kiddos have been bottle free shortly after their first birthday, so I've never had to put anything in my handbook regarding this! Guess I will definitely be adding! Thanks!
Wow, that is kind of sad. For both the child and for mom.

Maybe do a little research about this type of situation and prepare yourself to have a chat with mom about independence and developmental milestones.

I TOTALLY understand wanting to hold onto your babies forever but not at THEIR expense.

I have a mom that is similar. She just can't accept that her child is no longer a baby. She struggles but thankfully he is old enough to tell her to stop certain behaviors that "suffocate" or stifle his need to be a big boy.
hope 12:25 PM 07-23-2014
This is a weird story. You should confront dcm. Good for dcb!!!! Seems to be raising himself. Haha.
SignMeUp 12:48 PM 07-23-2014
1. I will take the bottle. Depending on what's in it

2. I have one who doesn't want her "baby" to grow up. She warms his milk in his bottle. Wants him to have "toddler formula". And along with that, she expects absolutely nothing of him, other than that he snuggle his head into her when she is leaving. Preferably till he cries.

I don't give him bottles. I certainly do not warm his milk. I told her if she wants him to have toddler formula (is this a formula company invention, or what?) he will have to have it after his milk that I am required to give him. And she has to supply it because I am not buying it.
And we're "talking" about the behavioral problems she is causing. She knows what to do - this is not her first child. She just wants him to stay a baby. He "can't" push his foot into a sock or shoe, or raise an arm for a shirt. He can't come when called, or take toys out of his mouth. Funniest part is that he looks a year older than he is, so it looks plain ridiculous
Cat Herder 12:56 PM 07-23-2014
Have you asked why she "needs" him to take a bottle at home?
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow, that is kind of sad. For both the child and for mom.

Maybe do a little research about this type of situation and prepare yourself to have a chat with mom about independence and developmental milestones.

I TOTALLY understand wanting to hold onto your babies forever but not at THEIR expense.

I have a mom that is similar. She just can't accept that her child is no longer a baby. She struggles but thankfully he is old enough to tell her to stop certain behaviors that "suffocate" or stifle his need to be a big boy.
I would also find ways to sneak validation into conversation - things like "Kids never outgrow their mamas" "Grandma/Dad/Child care provider/whoever is great, but moms are always best" "No matter how old we are, we still need our moms" etc.
Tags:narcissistic mother
Reply Up