Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Home Daycare into a Center?

Has anyone turned their home daycare into a child care center? Either by way of converting your house or buying a building. I tried looking for it in the forum, but wasn’t able to find anything. I know that’s not a goal for a lot of people, but it’s something I would love to end up doing in the future and would love to hear first hand from others how it went for them and talk with them about it if they are willing. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:04 PM

I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:04 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I am licensed as a large group family child care in MN
I operate out of a house we purchased strictly for operating a child care. I live several miles away.

Every state has different rules though and not all states allow the provider to live off site.

Being a center in my state had way too many requirements and restrictions so I opted to remain family care instead.
I live in Florida and I haven’t looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldn’t be a reality for years, but from what I’ve seen they don’t seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once who’s center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molouu View Post
I live in Florida and I haven’t looking too heavily into the center requirements since it wouldn’t be a reality for years, but from what I’ve seen they don’t seem too terrible. There is a woman I met once who’s center looks like it was once a house so I always thought maybe she converted her house into a small center which is what I would like to do one day. Are there any differences between a family daycare and large family day care besides amount of children?
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
It's different in every state. Here in California, the difference is mainly that you can add 6 more kids and you have to have an assistant there for that. Additional parts are the physical space has a few more safety regs. But that's all for going from "small family childcare" to "large family childcare". A center is a whole different set of regulations. Also we can't have a residential house become a center because you can't just have a childcare center on a residential zoned property. So, that would never happen. But there are old houses in areas that have become zoned for business, and those houses can be used as a center just as they can be used as dentist offices etc.
I completely understand zoning not being right for most people’s homes. Many houses around me are zoned residential and some type of commercial (not sure the differences between the commercial types, haven’t looked too much into it), but I wasn’t even thinking that wouldn’t be the case for most people. Finding a home zoned for it wouldn’t be too difficult. And not that I would ever try to understand re-zoning because it’s a lot, but I imagine someone out there has done it for their small business.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
If you want you could google: You are my sunshine Allouz daycare. The owner Keegan started out in a tiny home center and is now a beautiful center. worth a look.
Thank you! I love the fact that kids can have more same-aged peers while still getting that home feel.

Tags
home to center, home vs center