Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

Unhappy Wanting to Change Hours

I am currently open Monday - Friday from 530am to 530 pm. I literally have kids this whole time! One DCB comes at 530am Monday - Friday... That is if his mom doesn't get called off work. This can happen quite frequently for 3 months then she won't get called off again for another 6. Any way all the other kids (3 of them) come at 8am and honestly I'm getting burnt out form the 12hr days! I would like to change my hours to 8-530 Monday - Friday. I have had this early morn DCB from the first day I opened. His hours originally were 7am-330pm. That worked great!! How can I go about doing this? I will probably lose him altogether but need his spot filled. Do I fill his spot before he leaves? Oh and by the way the DCM is a friend/co-worker from my old job!! HELP!!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

I can't imagine starting so early! I had my very first dcg start at 6:30am...it just ended up being too tiring for me, and left me with little energy for my own family at the end of the day. I just told her the truth....and that I was sorry and what my new hours were.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Daycare.com

First of all...do you have a contract? What kind of notice is DCM required to give you if they leave?

Secondly, draw up a letter to pass out to each family indicating the change in hours and the effective date. Clearly this change will affect 1 of your clients. Starting that late in the morning may affect your ability to obtain another child to fill the spot as well. I would suggest starting at 7am or 730am but not 8am.

If you are confident that you will lose this family, start advertising now. Get a few people in the door, meet them and determine if they would be a good fit for your program. If they are, invite them back for another interview/tour if the original family decides to leave.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

When I make any changes like rates, times. I give the families a months notice. I used to be open 7am-6pm m-Fr and it was just to much so I just scaled back to 7-530 and what a diffrence. Thats a very long day. I agree with others. It may limit replacing that family if you scale down to much on time.7am-530pm is about average for my area. Maybe even 730 would work for you? If you are feeling burned out then you need to make that change. I hope you replace that early morning family pretty easily. Change is hard for some people but its still your business, your home, your rules! Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Family Childcare Home

I would just talk to her about how the time is not working for you and ask if there is any way to change it. If not let her know that you'll be looking for someone to take the spot ... or not, whatever. It's your choice. Once you have a replacement child you can have them start in 2 weeks, that way you can give the other DCM a 2 week notice so that she has time to find another DC. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I too have decided to shorten my hours, of course I'm on a 5 year plan. Lol. I will just gradually fill openings with earlier pickups.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
I too have decided to shorten my hours, of course I'm on a 5 year plan. Lol. I will just gradually fill openings with earlier pickups.
what are you shortening them too?

Tags
hours - changing