Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Forced to Expand
originalkat 06:44 AM 07-30-2010
Well, I am going to have to expand for two reasons. My hubby is going back to school and I will soon be the ONLY income for our household. Also, I just found out my state is going to be eliminating the "Registered" option and all providers have to get "Licensed". SOOOO, I guess it works out. Although I can't say I am overly excited about all this. I am trying to have a positive attitude. I am just thankful that once I expand my business can cover all of our expenses.

I will have 3 extra paying kids making 7 total plus my two kids (One Kindergarten age and 1 three year old) Is this crazy? Or do you all have quite a few kids enrolled? I am thinking I will need to reorganize how I do things and my layout to make more room for the kids. This shoud be interesting! Thanks for letting me share.
Crystal 06:59 AM 07-30-2010
I think you will be pleased once you expand. I have found that it is much easier for me to have 14 children here than it is to have 6-8. I know that sounds wierd, but the children have more peer interaction, as well as the opportunities to be part of small, self-selected grouping since they have more peers to "choose" from. They also get to "work with" more personalities/temperaments and learn how to handle many diverse situations.

I will say, once you do expand and enroll more children, you may want to hire a part-time assistant. Even if for only a few hours a day, during your busiest times, so that you reduce your chances of burnout and can provide more one-on-one with the children.

Good luck! I hope the transition and licensing process go smoothly and that it all works out for you
originalkat 07:16 AM 07-30-2010
That is really encouraging to hear. Since we are going down to one income and will have a drastic change in lifestyle due to a lower income until he finishes school, I don't think I can hire anyone part time. But my husband who will be home more (besides his classes) and he will be helping me. For instance, I am going to put some things down in writing that I need him to do on a weekly/monthly basis. For example, He will be in charge of the fire/tornado drills each month and recording them. I ALWAYS slack on this and get behind. I am going to think of some other things that will relieve some stress.

Our licensing process is pretty painless from what I have heard. I have already gone through and made a few notes on what I need to do before they come out to inspect. Most of the items are the same for registered homes (what I am now) it is just that they never came and inspected it.

I know this whole process will force me to be more organized.
jen 09:05 AM 07-30-2010
We did that too...and it was great! Hubby helped after school and he gained an appreciation of what I do. He's done with school and back to work, I've cut back a little...not as much as I'd like because he doesn't actually have a job in his field yet...but all in all it's been a good experience!

Good luck!
melskids 09:40 AM 07-30-2010
i'm being "forced" to expand too....by my families. they all seem to be getting preggo at once. i dont have the heart to turn away the new babies or seperate families, or lose them all together, for that matter, so i guess i'm gonna have to just expand. i'm kinda excited, even though i dont really want to do it.
originalkat 10:28 AM 07-30-2010
Thanks Guys for all your support! You are so awesome and are really helping me to come to grips with this and realize this all might turn out better than I think. I have off next week so we have a lot of licensing stuff to get ready (mostly in the yard).
Tags:expanding
Reply Up