Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Seem To Have A Wild, Destructive Bunch
sahm2three 11:53 AM 12-07-2011
They have been nutso lately. Hitting eachother, taking toys, throwing toys, breaking toys, etc. Stuff that nightmares are made of! So, today we decided to turn the music way up and dance our crazies out. Well, that turned into them running and body slamming into eachother. We cannot do anything without them acting out. What the heck. Island of the misfits in my house!
wdmmom 11:58 AM 12-07-2011
Make Time out a game.

Plan an activity and tell them that the first one to behave will be allowed to do the activity. Let them out one by one. If they break the rules, back to the chair they go. Rinse and repeat!

We use NICE HANDS here. Pats on the back, high fives and hugs. I don't do hitting, pushing, shoving, taking toys, and body bumping.

And, if it's a toy that is being chucked or a particular toy that is being stolen from children, the toy goes to the Time Out Box. They get it back next week.
kidkair 12:04 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
They have been nutso lately. Hitting eachother, taking toys, throwing toys, breaking toys, etc. Stuff that nightmares are made of! So, today we decided to turn the music way up and dance our crazies out. Well, that turned into them running and body slamming into eachother. We cannot do anything without them acting out. What the heck. Island of the misfits in my house!
How old are they? How much outdoor time can you get?
morgan24 12:07 PM 12-07-2011
For mine it's the wind up before the holidays. They are all doing things they usually don't do. When the first one starts something we all start doing some simple exercises and stretching. We reach up to the ceiling, then to the side, lay on the floor and bring our legs up. It burns some energy. I take toys that are being thrown and they go away for the day.
sahm2three 12:11 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
How old are they? How much outdoor time can you get?
The trouble makers are 2 and 3 year olds. Outdoor time has been scarce lately because it has been COLD here. Closest thing to it lately has been an open window in the playroom (although not for long because it is so cold! Just to get some fresh air)
DCMom 12:22 PM 12-07-2011
Same here, but it happens every year it seems!

It's the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Cold weather has set in, we aren't getting outside as much and routines are out of whack with holiday stuff going on at home.

We have been changing up our routine; circle time after nap, dance time after breakfast, etc. I personally hate The Wiggles but those videos sure get 'the wiggles' out! Games like musical chairs and duck duck goose, parachute play, big boxes, anything to keep them moving and entertained.

It's exhausting...for me! lol
kidkair 12:24 PM 12-07-2011
Same thing here. We got out today and I was so happy! I have found that pillows have been absolutely wonderful. I have some big pillows made out of blankets that are too big for them to fully lift but they can kinda move them around a bit. Yesterday they made a hill that they could climb and roll/fall/run back down. They are also big on jumping right now so I'll lay out blankets as jumping areas and let them jump only on the blankets. I also spent a week on manners and polite actions with them which really helped. That week we talked about manners all the time and I reinforced when I saw good manners and redirected the bad into good. We did a lot of ball rolling, turn taking, practicing saying please and thank you with those. I also held toys that were wanted (just cause I had it) and stressed how to ask nicely and not just take. It was hard work stressing the manners but focusing on the good really really helped. I also had a sheet of paper and they got a sticker on it when they remembered to thank me for their food when I gave it to them at meal times. That helped me feel a bit better regardless of their previous behaviors.
kidkair 12:52 PM 12-07-2011
Also bundling them up (dry snow pants and boots even) for indoor play with the open windows helps guard against the cold a bit longer My kids love it and the littlest ones learn how to move in their suits a bit better.
DCMom 12:56 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Same thing here. We got out today and I was so happy! I have found that pillows have been absolutely wonderful. I have some big pillows made out of blankets that are too big for them to fully lift but they can kinda move them around a bit. Yesterday they made a hill that they could climb and roll/fall/run back down. They are also big on jumping right now so I'll lay out blankets as jumping areas and let them jump only on the blankets.
I like this! They are always taking the pillows out of the reading area playing with them...blankets and pillows are like boxes, they can ALWAYS find something to do with them
Hunni Bee 04:21 PM 12-07-2011
We're having some strange weather too...its about 70-75 degrees here (yes, 2 weeks before Christmas), but its raining. It has been for days. Perfect ingredients for sinus infections from hell.

Right now, there's hurricane-force rain and winds going on outside

So, we have cabin fever too...and we're in a VERY small space, so there's no room for any type of gross motor play indoors, except for simple dancing at circle time. They've been good about it.
Tags:destructive behavior
Reply Up