Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nearly 3 Still in Crib
Pestle 03:54 PM 12-28-2018
I have a little guy who's been with me since three months old. He plays loudly and rambunctiously in the crib before falling asleep, often for up to 45 minutes. He's the same way at home. We have a regular sleep schedule, a cool-down time before nap, books, darkened room, music, etc.

When he was going on 2 years old, we had a few good days on the napping mat like the other kids, but then he started jumping up and running around, throwing toys, trampling the other kids, etc. The parents still have him in a crib, because he's so. danged. active before he passes out.

Sometimes my presence right next to him seems to help him settle down and other times he's wired because he has me as an audience. He YELLS LOUDLY AT ME and plays with FULL-VOLUME NARRATION. HEY FIREFIGHTER YOU GOT FIRE? YOU GOT DOG? OH, I SEE A BOOK! Keeps the other kids awake. Once he's noticed they're falling asleep, he sometimes yells "HEY! YOU SLEEPING? PESTLE, HIM SLEEPING?"

OMG help me make it stop. I don't have a bedroom I can shut him up in by himself, and the infant naps in the living room. The other kids eventually fall asleep, even with the yelling, and I assume the yelling will go away as he gets more familiar with his verbal abilities, but he will not stay on his mat, and I am literally folding a play yard gate around the mat so he'll stay put. (Turns out six panels of the Regalo gate will exactly encapsulate the Angeles mat.) He's capable of climbing or opening or shoving the gate around, and he doesn't; it's a psychological barrier, I guess. I need that psychological barrier in place even without the gate!
Josiegirl 04:11 PM 12-28-2018
Pestle, I have a little girl JUST like this!! I still have her in a mini crib; she turned 2 in Sept. I have her in a separate room and have tried 3 different times to transition her to a cot but it's been crazy time for her every time I tried. I just cannot seem to tone her down. I've tried ignoring her, bribing her, giving her books, a stuffie, a baby, but it seems she just wants my attention. And keeps some of the other kiddos awake. So although I offer no help I can empathize with what you're going through. Quiet time isn't quiet anymore.
jenboo 12:29 AM 12-29-2018
Ive use PVC pipe to create "walls" around a pack n play before. Obviously it doesn't help with the sounds but helped with no audiences. It's super obnoxious but I was at my wits end.
knoxmomof2 02:10 PM 12-30-2018
I second the idea of a visual barrier of some kind--preferably something sturdy and permanent like furniture. You'll have to sit nearby and tell him to keep his head on the pillow, etc so that he's not peeking around it but it should get better with time. Just keep returning him to the right spot or reminding him of what he needs to be doing. A sound machine might be a good idea to cover the noise as you work on "shhhhhh" with him.
Ariana 03:06 PM 12-30-2018
I have a 3 yr old in a pack and play and have no intention of switching her over to a mat. If I did I would have to sit beside her to make sure she didn’t get up and get into things. She loves her little crib so she is happy to be in it and fits perfectly!
Jupadia 03:47 PM 12-30-2018
I just tried a pack n play with a 3 year old myself the week before Christmas. He has trouble staying quite and keeps himself awake though needs the nap. With the pack n play I could move him to the other room.
I tried it and he managed to somehow rip the seam where the solid meets the net and start crawling out. He did ths very quietly I could see him but mostly just shadows so I did not realize what he was doing till to late.
Killed the pack n play. But I let granny (who picks up) know and she brought me an extra she had and was horrified he did it. Now he is a cot at my feet area.
Tags:crib, regalo, sleeps too much
Reply Up