Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Culture of Daycare
jojosmommy 11:25 AM 08-31-2012
"Those who tell the stories define the culture."

Heard this quote at a training this week. Made me immediately think of enrollment and how cautious I have been lately to choose the "right" types of families due to some recent bad experiences that have changed the culture of my daycare for the worse. I am taking back my daycare Monday .

Do you find this quote to be true and if so what do you do everyday to make the culture of your daycare exactly what you want it to be? And by culture I mean dynamics, social norms, accepted/expected behaviors, etc, not the socio-econ type of culture some may think of.
Sugar Magnolia 12:03 PM 08-31-2012
My degree is in Cultural Anthropology, the study of human culture. I agree with the quote. As it relates to child care, we providers "tell the story", and our families and kids become part of our "culture". As for me, the culture of my center is created by the roles and responsibilities we give each child. We emphasize respect and helping others in our "culture". Everyone has a "job". The oldest child here is the Flag Leader, he puts out and takes in the flag every day. I heard him telling his mom how the flag can't touch the ground, be out in the rain, and "I have to bring it inside at the end of the day, because it should be lit if its out at night." The concept of respect-learned. The youngest child is Shoe Captain. She hands everyone their shoes after nap. Concept of helping others-learned. Those are just some examples. As a multi age approach center, we build on each child's intetests and abilities. As far as parents go, we treat them with the respect we expect from them. As humans, we simply cannot function in life without each other. No child is perfect, no family is perfect, no provider is perfect, but if we function as a group, then everyones needs are met.
Hmmm....did that make any sense?
nanglgrl 12:10 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My degree is in Cultural Anthropology, the study if human culture. I agree with the quote. As it relates to child care, we providers "tell the story", and our families and kids become part of our "culture". As for me, the culture of my center is created by the roles and responsibilities we give each child. We emphasize respect and helping others in our "culture". Everyone has a "job". The oldest child here is the Flag Leader, he puts out and takes in the flag every day. I hard him telling his mom how the flag can't touch the ground, be out in the rain, and "I have to bring it inside at the end of the day, because it should be lit if its out at night." The concept of respect-learned. The youngest child is Shoe Captain. She hands everyone their shoes after nap. Concept of helping others-learned. Those are just some examples. As a multi age approach center, we build on each child's intetests and abilities. As far as parents go, we treat them with the respect we expect from them. As humans, we simply cannot function in life without each other. No child is perfect, no family is perfect, no provider is perfect, but if we function as a group, then everyones needs are met.
That was awesome Sugar Magnolia!
spud912 01:42 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My degree is in Cultural Anthropology, the study if human culture. I agree with the quote. As it relates to child care, we providers "tell the story", and our families and kids become part of our "culture". As for me, the culture of my center is created by the roles and responsibilities we give each child. We emphasize respect and helping others in our "culture". Everyone has a "job". The oldest child here is the Flag Leader, he puts out and takes in the flag every day. I hard him telling his mom how the flag can't touch the ground, be out in the rain, and "I have to bring it inside at the end of the day, because it should be lit if its out at night." The concept of respect-learned. The youngest child is Shoe Captain. She hands everyone their shoes after nap. Concept of helping others-learned. Those are just some examples. As a multi age approach center, we build on each child's intetests and abilities. As far as parents go, we treat them with the respect we expect from them. As humans, we simply cannot function in life without each other. No child is perfect, no family is perfect, no provider is perfect, but if we function as a group, then everyones needs are met.
I love your philosophy!
Sugar Magnolia 03:33 PM 08-31-2012
Thanks Nan and Spuds!
Tags:daycare - experience
Reply Up