Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Spots?
EAP 05:29 PM 11-05-2012
I have an opening 12/3 and an interested client but they don't need the spot until 1/2. I only have 4 spots total (one of my spots is for my own child) so to not fill the spot for a month is a hardship. I'm just curious what other providers do when asked to hold a spot for a month.
Michael 05:31 PM 11-05-2012
Some other threads on Holding Spots: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=holding+spot
littlemissmuffet 07:02 PM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by EAP:
I have an opening 12/3 and an interested client but they don't need the spot until 1/2. I only have 4 spots total (one of my spots is for my own child) so to not fill the spot for a month is a hardship. I'm just curious what other providers do when asked to hold a spot for a month.
I would charge for December. I don't hold spots without charging for them... it's not right I should have to lose out on income for no reason!
daycare 07:10 PM 11-05-2012
I would do as PP said or I would keep interviewing. If you don't have anyone lined up by them end of this month, I would then take a 1/2 months fees for a deposit. Once the family starts and completes their paid two week trail period (should you have one) if you want, you can apply some of their deposit towards their fees.
littlemissmuffet 07:16 PM 11-05-2012
I don't ever recommend applying deposits to future childcare fees! That's basically the same as not bringing in an income during the time you have the spot available... which, I'm sure, if you tried hard enough you could fill on 12/3 with a different family. I only recommend non-refundable deposits.
kitykids3 04:48 AM 11-06-2012
Usually I don't charge (but then again I'm allowed 8 so it's not as much as a hardship) if it is only a couple weeks, but beyond that, I usually charge half of what their rate would be.
Mom&Provider 05:13 AM 11-06-2012
I guess I would consider how I felt about this family first. Are they a good fit, do you like the child etc? If they are, I would hold the spot, with deposit for the month. If not I would continue to look for someone who wanted care sooner and let the family know what I was doing - yes I have a spot, BUT if I can fill it for December, I will and will let you know once/if this happens.

Perhaps by saying to them, I don't generally hold spots, so I will put your child down for the spot, BUT I will be interviewing other families who need the spot sooner...see what they say...maybe they will offer to pay!?
EAP 10:51 AM 11-06-2012
Thanks for the feedback, I think it would be a good fit, but still need at least half the tuition for December to hold the spot (thank you for that idea). I reached out with that requirement and I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm very actively looking in case they don't take that option.
littlemissmuffet 11:04 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by EAP:
Thanks for the feedback, I think it would be a good fit, but still need at least half the tuition for December to hold the spot (thank you for that idea). I reached out with that requirement and I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm very actively looking in case they don't take that option.
Good luck!!

A good rule of thumb in childcare is to never take someone word unless they are hadning over some cash with it Too often I read about parents who fill out paper work, are ready to start and you're sure all will work out and you never see them again. Money talks.
Tags:holding spot
Reply Up