Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>quick! swollen eye question
finsup 04:24 AM 02-19-2015
OK so DCM just called to let me know DCB woke up with a swollen eye (dad drops off in a little while). She said its not bothering him and its just swollen but they don't know why. I'm supposed to just "watch" it and they'll come get him if it gets worse but I don't know. If its something like pink eye he needs to stay home. Im not sure how to tell if its just from scratching (he's a baby) or the start of pink eye. My contract says eye infections, crusty or oozing eyes stay home but nothing about just a red or swollen one. What would you do?
Kabob 04:53 AM 02-19-2015
How old is he?

Even if he did scratch it, if it is swollen, they might want to get him seen today to make sure it isn't infected or getting infected.

Tough to say what it is without seeing it and if he truly woke up that way it is hard to say whether or not it is an infection or something else.

I'd err on the side of caution and tell them to stay home and give it an hour or two at home and if it goes away great, they only missed a couple hours of work...if it stays, they need to make an appt...
daycarediva 04:54 AM 02-19-2015
If it's clear and not crusty, I would take him. It's possible he bumped it or got something in it and rubbed it too hard. I hate that grey area!
Kabob 05:00 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
If it's clear and not crusty, I would take him. It's possible he bumped it or got something in it and rubbed it too hard. I hate that grey area!
And the age is a factor too because even crusty eyes aren't always a cause for alarm depending on the situation. My dd got goopy crusty eyes that would look horrible in the mornings until she was about 8 weeks old. Dr said she had goofy tear ducts that were still developing.

Thus my age question. But still...tough to say since we don't know the full details and such.
blueskiesbutterflies 05:02 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I agree, this is what I would do.
finsup 05:20 AM 02-19-2015
He's 10 months. He's here now, it is def swollen. I really encouraged mom to call the Dr but she doesn't want to do that? Next time I think I will have parents stay home for a few hours and go from there. It looks a little red but he also has a baby meltdown anytime I leave the room. Ugh I do not like the gray area at all!
DaveA 05:25 AM 02-19-2015
I would tell DCP that I will monitor it and if I have any more concerns it might be an infection or injury (even minor) they would have to pickup and I would need a Dr note to bring him back.
Kabob 05:33 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
He's 10 months. He's here now, it is def swollen. I really encouraged mom to call the Dr but she doesn't want to do that? Next time I think I will have parents stay home for a few hours and go from there. It looks a little red but he also has a baby meltdown anytime I leave the room. Ugh I do not like the gray area at all!
This is why I don't take puffy red eyes anymore...I hate having that gray area. I like black and white. Easier.

Even if it is just a scratch, I've scratched my eye before...it is super painful and it got infected.

If it doesn't get better or gets worse, tell them they need to see a dr before he returns. They'll need a diagnosis and treatment plan...
Second Home 05:36 AM 02-19-2015
I always worry when a parent leaves a child who is injured ( mildly as I would not take a severely inured child ) that they will somehow say that the injury happened while at daycare. So I always type something up stating the injury ( black eye, etc...) and have the parent sign saying it did not happen here .
finsup 05:54 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I always worry when a parent leaves a child who is injured ( mildly as I would not take a severely inured child ) that they will somehow say that the injury happened while at daycare. So I always type something up stating the injury ( black eye, etc...) and have the parent sign saying it did not happen here .
I will do that! Good idea! I've had some difficulties with this family...nothing exactly term worthy over but I don't trust them very much either.
finsup 08:28 AM 02-19-2015
And he's off to the Dr...mom finally called when it wasn't getting better and the Dr wanted to see him right away :/
daycare 08:37 AM 02-19-2015
No way.... I would not take the risk...

Yes, I am really jaded today dealing with something similar.

This is exactly why I adopted the 48 hour rule.

I would have said thanks for the phone call dcm, but please remember that if you keep him home he will be excluded for only today, of course if he's not contagious or receives any form of medication, BUT if I have to send him home from daycare he will be excluded for a full 48 hours.
finsup 09:03 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
No way.... I would not take the risk...

Yes, I am really jaded today dealing with something similar.

This is exactly why I adopted the 48 hour rule.

I would have said thanks for the phone call dcm, but please remember that if you keep him home he will be excluded for only today, of course if he's not contagious or receives any form of medication, BUT if I have to send him home from daycare he will be excluded for a full 48 hours.
Yup, after this episode I'm implementing the 48 hour rule too. This is strike 3 of just "watch" him. Each time it has been a gray area, each time has ended up in a Dr appointment and staying home the next day. I'm done. They need to handle things BEFORE he gets here!
nanglgrl 09:42 AM 02-19-2015
Hi had a toddler with a swollen eye eye last week, mom called before care to let me know and ask my opinion and I told her that even without goop it could be pink eye so he couldn't come until seen by a doctor. It was pink eye.
finsup 10:42 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Hi had a toddler with a swollen eye eye last week, mom called before care to let me know and ask my opinion and I told her that even without goop it could be pink eye so he couldn't come until seen by a doctor. It was pink eye.
Something I will remember for next time! Yo know I've worked with kids for the past 14 years and have practically zero experience with pink eye. I'm not sure how that has happened with how common it is! Lol. Waiting on an update from DCM...
daycare 10:47 AM 02-19-2015
my fear would not only be that it could be something contagious, but when the child is dropped off with something like a swollen eye, it becomes a he said she said. Unless you are willing to write something up and immediately have the parent sign off on it that it occurred at home.

With my husband working in the ER (medical field) I hear way to many stories that end tragically.

I can't get too far into detail, but the moms BF beat up the child and dropped it off at daycare. DCK later dies at DC..............

I know that these are all risks that we take when we open the door each day to them, but when it is something that is that visible, you can count me out. NO way.

Of course, it would again have to be a case by case basis that I would say no.

I had a dck run into the door knob at home and the parent told me how it happened and when. I marked it on their daily report at check in and on our way we went.

But if a parent said oh they have a huge bump the size of a softball on their head dont know when and where it happened, sorry, you are not staying with me until it gets checked out.
Reply Up