Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensitive Issue - How do I?
KDC 06:57 AM 06-18-2012
So, I have a DCF going through a difficult time. My DCM is losing her father to a battle of cancer and hospice is there and it's not good. She's asked me to open an hour early (from 7 to 6) and possible keep him until 7 at night. Here's the thing, I can probably do it. (She's managing keeping him with the cousins where her Dad is, but it would probably be easier to hand him off here so he could play and have some consistency as far as routine goes). DCB is 3.5 years old.

So... How do I approach the $$ aspect. He's been out a week and a half, and I've offered to do it earlier, but never offered to stay until 7. They're paying right now even though he's not here as per my contract. (my hours are 7-5:30 at a flat fee of $45/day). Of course my heart aches for her losing her father. Do I charge? Or, is that just rude?

She just sent me a text saying DCB wouldn't be here today or tomorrow and she'd let me know about the rest of the week later. Then she mentioned DCB couldn't come because her DH needed to catch the train earlier than I open. So -- I know she wants to ASK but just throws the passive aggressive - you aren't helping clause in there.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-18-2012
I would offer her the opportunity to stay longer and come earlier IF it is something that truly fits into your schedule and ability to do it. I would tell her thought that offering the extra time is your side of the compromise but she will still need to pay for it.

Maybe raise her daily rate of $45 per day (for your regular time) and add $5-10 to the rate for the earlier and later times. I know it is a sad situation but you are also a business and should be compensated for your services regardless of the situation.

I am not cold hearted and can absolutely see offering extra hours for free one or two times but anything after that is not compromising IMHO. That is more or less just using you. (that sounds harsher than I mean it, but you get the point....)

Anyways I also agree about the child staying with you meaning more consistency in his life, which he probably REALLY needs right now.

I guess if it were me, I would write up a note saying that you will be more than willing to take the DCB earlier and keep him later for a discounted rate of $5 instead of $10.00 (just an example to show the discount) that you would normally charge for those hours. Know what I mean? If you word it like that she will see that you are giving her a deal and that you are extending your services but not without expecting some sort of compensation.

When my BIL died years ago, my DD child care offered to take her on for extended hours at a discounted rate. I never once thought badly of them for asking for extra pay since they ahd to pay extra staff. I actually thought they were super nice for offering up extra hours in the first place.

It is hard when families you have in care have situations like this but you still need to feed your family and pay your bills.
KDC 07:48 AM 06-18-2012
Thanks Black Cat for your opinion... I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I like your idea. They're a good family, and hopefully I can help them during this trying time without resenting them for using me. It's a good compromise
daycare 08:40 AM 06-18-2012
I just went through this same thing with one of my families.

I am not sure where the father is in his fight, meaning will this be something that is going on for a very long time or short term. Will the need for extended care be only a week or two or again longer?

This is what I did. I had the girl here 12-13 hours on some days and then not at all on other days. My contract states that you must not exceed 47.5 hours of care in a week or 9.5 hours per day. So I told the family that I would allow for them to bring the girl whenever needed and instead of charging them over time fees each day when the over time occurred, I would not charge any extra until they exceeded the 47.5 hours, which they never did. Just like your DCK she was in and out all week off one day, back the next and etc. So I felt that was only fair to do it that way.
DaisyMamma 08:42 AM 06-18-2012
I agree with blackcat as well. You could do it free a couple of times, but it sounds like an ongoing short term change. Giving a break on the price is probably best. I charge $10/hr for scheduled overtime, so I'd probably offer to do it for $5.
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 06-18-2012
I wouldn't do it for free. I wouldn't want her to think that you would be ok with it for a long period of time for free KWIM? Plus you don't know how long the situation will stay this way, it could be 1 week or several months.

When I did this before for a client that wanted me to temporarily stay open 1 hour later than usual each days mon-fri I didn't want to do it for free but I also didn't want to gouge them either. Technically she should have paid $5 for each hour that extended past her contracted hours which would have been an extra $25 per week but I just figured out her hourly rate and charged her that instead. I stayed open an extra hour for her for 2 weeks m-f so instead of her regular weekly rate of $160, she paid $176 a week for those 2 weeks. She was fine with that.

Since you don't know how long things will stay like this maybe you can have her sign an addendum saying that as of [date] her new weekly rate will temporarily be [$$] for the hours of [new schedule] until she gives you written notice when at that point you'll go back to the original contract. Of course you'll want to discuss this with her first.
Reply Up