Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shouldn't a 17 Month Old Be Able to......
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:43 AM 04-27-2012
At least hold his own bottle? Should he even be drinking from a baby bottle anymore?

He just cant do this and it's driving me insane. I dont have the time to sit with him and try to get him to drink from these dang bottles.
They must have a low flow nipple cause it takes hours for him to drink from this bottle.

Am I wrong?

I have tried giving him a sippy cup but he wont even touch it. He just doesnt know how.

Im pretty sure mom just plunks him down on her lap and happily feeds him from a bottle for hours.
Breezy 08:50 AM 04-27-2012
My 14 month old drinks from a sippy and bottle on his own. We are trying to phase out the bottle now. I think its ridiculous you have to sit there with him. How many does he have? What does he eat during the day???
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:57 AM 04-27-2012
He eats our food, not baby food so that's not a problem.

DCM sends him with 2 bottles, one milk and one friut juice.

He just wont drink out of them unless I am holding it for him.
godiva83 08:58 AM 04-27-2012
I would think so!!

Is it he just doesn't get the opportunity to use a cup or sippy cup, or is there something physical like a cleft lip or his tongue isn't functioning?
Some kids, and parents are also lazy and want to hold onto that 'baby' time KWIM

I would practice daily with cups and sippys. IMO bottles should be transitioned out by 12 months they really aren't the best for the developing teeth.
godiva83 08:59 AM 04-27-2012
Wow also Juice again IMO should never be given in a bottle!!!!
godiva83 09:00 AM 04-27-2012
Lol sorry me again,

Perhaps a new rule should be made, only water will be given in a bottle... If you want juice or milk you need to use a cup maybe it will push him to use a cup if he isn't getting the 'good stuff'
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:01 AM 04-27-2012
Oh and the only way he can hold them is if i lay him down and prop the bottle with some thing so he can kinda hold it.

But I know thats bad.

I have 6 kids daily and I just cant sit and do this all day. I have hands to wash, kids to chase after, ect, ect.
MN Mom 09:03 AM 04-27-2012
The 2.5 yo dcb I watch was like this when I started him 6 months ago. He still drinks from a bottle at home , and does it with no help from his parents NOW. He often walks up to my door with one in his mouth in the mornings. It drives me NUTS. Thankfully he now knows to hand me the bottle after mom/dad leave. I dump it. It's usually still 1/2 full.

When he first started I tried phasing out the bottle here. He wouldn't even hold it on his own, and I was NOT going to be feeding a 2yo a bottle of Strawberry/Chocolate Milk. However, he wouldn't do a sippy and would go 10 hours with NOTHING to drink. I started giving him a regular cup with water at meals, and he did just fine. Maybe try a cup instead of the sippy? Maybe one with handles on both sides for easy gripping.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:04 AM 04-27-2012
Nope there is nothing wrong with his mouth, I agree with you, I think mom just wants him to be a baby for as long as possible.

We have given him sippy cups, but he just wont hold them. Or a bottle.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:06 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
The 2.5 yo dcb I watch was like this when I started him 6 months ago. He still drinks from a bottle at home , and does it with no help from his parents NOW. He often walks up to my door with one in his mouth in the mornings. It drives me NUTS. Thankfully he now knows to hand me the bottle after mom/dad leave. I dump it. It's usually still 1/2 full.

When he first started I tried phasing out the bottle here. He wouldn't even hold it on his own, and I was NOT going to be feeding a 2yo a bottle of Strawberry/Chocolate Milk. However, he wouldn't do a sippy and would go 10 hours with NOTHING to drink. I started giving him a regular cup with water at meals, and he did just fine. Maybe try a cup instead of the sippy? Maybe one with handles on both sides for easy gripping.
I have tried every kind of cup. No go!
Heidi 09:12 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Nope there is nothing wrong with his mouth, I agree with you, I think mom just wants him to be a baby for as long as possible.

We have given him sippy cups, but he just wont hold them. Or a bottle.
I recommend startng with small cups of milk...an OPEN cup. Put just a tiny bit in uncase he spills.

I would not even give him a bottle...ever!
DaycareMama 09:36 AM 04-27-2012
Im just curious how does he eat meals? Do you need to feed him or does he self feed?
MN Mom 09:39 AM 04-27-2012
I have tried every kind of cup. No go!
Eeep! Sorry. Maybe it will grow on him. Did you try an open cup with a straw? I did that with mine and taught him how to blow bubbles....naughty I know, but it worked!!

I've watched a neighbor boy a couple of times who is 2 and on a bottle/sippy. His parents always fill them with juicy juice. Well he was thirsty so I put water in his cup and he threw it at me!!! Drank nothing either time he was here because I refuse to do juice as well (I only buy orange juice, Simply Best brand as a special treat or when we are battling colds/flu). I don't know why parents always do bottles so late, especially with the sweet milk and juices in them. Their dentist bills later in life will be CRAZY. The father of the cup thrower is missing all of his front teeth due to rot and mountain dew..../sigh.
littlemissmuffet 09:52 AM 04-27-2012
I have three issues with this...

First, yes, this child should be more than capable of handling his own bottle.

Second, this child shouldn't be using a bottle at this age. I transition all my kids to a cup by 12 months.

Thirdly, I wish people would stop giving kids juice. They don't need it - give kids fruits and veggie! It has way too much sugar - and yes, even 100% pure fruit juice is packed with natural sugars. Milk also contains a fair bit of sugar. And I'm not much of a milk fan either. Most nurtients a child needs can come from FOOD sources... I'd rather a child eat an apple than drink apple juice.
Jenniferdawn 09:56 AM 04-27-2012
My 9 month old dcg holds her own bottles. He definitely should unless there is something wrong with him. If you decide to keep giving him the bottles, i'd spend the money to go get fast flow nipples for you to keep at your house to help speed up the process. Thats what I did for my dck. Also, my 2 year old dcb came to me not ever feeding himself. His mom would always hand feed him. Within a week here he was feeding himself cause he knew I wouldn't feed him. What happens if you don't give him the bottle? Have you seem how long he will go with out drinking? Maybe his thirst will finally get the best of him?
Jenniferdawn 09:56 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Second, this child shouldn't be using a bottle at this age. I transition all my kids to a cup by 12 months.

Thirdly, I wish people would stop giving kids juice. They don't need it - give kids fruits and veggie! It has way too much sugar - and yes, even 100% pure fruit juice is packed with natural sugars. Milk also contains a fair bit of sugar. And I'm not much of a milk fan either. Most nurtients a child needs can come from FOOD sources... I'd rather a child eat an apple than drink apple juice.
I TOTALLY agree with you on everything!
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:05 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
Im just curious how does he eat meals? Do you need to feed him or does he self feed?
He can feed himself perfectly fine.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:08 AM 04-27-2012
I gave him a cup just to see what he would do, and he cant even open his hands by himself to grasp the darn thing, I had to uncurl his fingers and wrap his hands around it.

Not sure what is going on? He seems fine otherwise.
Angelwings36 10:18 AM 04-27-2012
At least hold his own bottle? Should he even be drinking from a baby bottle anymore?

He just cant do this and it's driving me insane. I dont have the time to sit with him and try to get him to drink from these dang bottles.
They must have a low flow nipple cause it takes hours for him to drink from this bottle.

Am I wrong?

I have tried giving him a sippy cup but he wont even touch it. He just doesnt know how.

Im pretty sure mom just plunks him down on her lap and happily feeds him from a bottle for hours.
NO a 17 month old child should not be on a bottle anymore. I do not allow bottles in my daycare past 12 months of age. Honestly, I would fill a sippy cup and sit it within arms reach of him, when he gets thirsty enough he will drink it.
renodeb 10:25 AM 04-27-2012
Yes, a 17 m/o should be off the bottle totally and holding his own cup. He is probably just used to mom holding it for him. He has probably gotten a bit "soft" from not holding his own cup. Tough situation. Have you talked to mom about the issue?
Deb
Live and Learn 10:27 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

EXACTLY!

Since he is already drinking juice daily I would put water only in the bottle and the juice and milk in a sippy cup. Once he starts regularly using the sippy with juice I would start watering down the juice until its just straight water. Be prepared for him to be pretty mad for the first few days. Take the bottle away completely after a couple of days.
saved4always 10:28 AM 04-27-2012
He should definitely be able to hold a bottle or cup and drink from them himself. Most children I have watched, including my own 3 kids, stopped getting a bottle when they turned a year old. They had been using sippy cups at meals to "practice" a few months before that.
itlw8 12:00 PM 04-27-2012
I had a child with special needs that refused a sippy cup it was a sensory issue. We found one with a soft top and one day I laid him on my lap and made it drip into his mouth. after that he would drink from it so then we just kept changing moving up to a regular cup.

First thing I would do is make the hole bigger or get a new nipple. then move forward.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:09 PM 04-27-2012
DCM came to pick him up and he wanted her to to hold his bottle.

She told him NO Im not holding it, you do it. And he did.

But I still agree that he should not be drinking out of a bottle anymore.

I do have a question about the milk and juice though...... do I just dump it?
Heidi 12:58 PM 04-27-2012
DCM came to pick him up and he wanted her to to hold his bottle.

She told him NO Im not holding it, you do it. And he did.

But I still agree that he should not be drinking out of a bottle anymore.

I do have a question about the milk and juice though...... do I just dump it?
You mean if he comes in the door with it?

If it's fresh, you could sit him at the table with some of it in a cup, and dump the rest.

If there is any doubt, I'd dump it.
queenbee 01:10 PM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I had a child with special needs that refused a sippy cup it was a sensory issue. We found one with a soft top and one day I laid him on my lap and made it drip into his mouth. after that he would drink from it so then we just kept changing moving up to a regular cup.

First thing I would do is make the hole bigger or get a new nipple. then move forward.
I currently have a child with sensory and other medical issues. She is 3 years old next week and she is on a toddler formula in a bottle. She takes a bottle twice a day, once in the morning at 9am and another at 12pm.

I have gotten some crazy looks from parents when they see her drinking from a bottle.

"Isn't she a little too old for a bottle?" is my favorite

I smile and rush them out the door. It is absolutely none of their business.
littlemissmuffet 02:47 PM 04-27-2012
Why does this child come with filled bottles anyways?

I don't allow food, drinks or drink holders from outside the daycare, at all. This pretty much ends any discussion about bottle vs sippy cups (I only have sippy cups here) AND eliminates kids coming in with juice or other drinks.
littlemommy 03:22 PM 04-27-2012
I once had an 18 month old that came with a bottle of warmed milk with rice cereal. I talked to my food program rep about it because he wouldn't eat anything here. She said to make it easy on myself and blame them for not allowing it. She said part of the food program is to teach proper eating techniques, and that drinking from a cup is part of that. I told this to the mom one day and she got upset, but followed direction and didn't bring it. The next day the father thanked me and said he'd been trying to get rid of the bottle for a while.
countrymom 05:58 AM 04-28-2012
ha, I have a mom who can't figure out why her ds won't drink out of a sippy (milk) but then she told me that she puts ice tea (he's 15 months old and I think he is a behind) well, duh lady why do you he would want to drink milk when you put ice tea in the sippy cup.
Reply Up