Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Trouble!
Little Star75 11:22 AM 03-19-2013
Last week I closed as an emergency for 2 days because I had step-throat... Do you all remember that? Well the next day I took my daughter to get checked because she had the same symptoms. Doctor did a check up and noticed irritation but refused giving her meds for it that not until she knew exact what she had, this was last Thursday. I remained closed the rest of the week waiting for the results, this week i open as normal then today i get a call from the doctor saying my dd was positive for it. So now the question is, what do I do? Close again for 2 days while she starts the antibiotics? Or do I keep her in her room all day?
MNMum 11:25 AM 03-19-2013
How old is she? Could your husband stay home and take care of her? She only needs to be separated for 24 hours after starting the antibiotics. I would avoid closing again, or you may lose clients!
Mom&Provider 11:29 AM 03-19-2013
If your daughter has already been around everyone since her swab test, I wouldn't bother to close again since she's already exposed them anyway. I believe the rule is 24 hrs. on antibiotics, so start them now and she'll only be exposing anyone (again) for another day. Having said that, I'd give her some things to do on her own for a day, to help avoid any further exposure, but really, she's already done all that!
Little Star75 12:11 PM 03-19-2013
Sorry should of been more specific. Shes 13 yrs old, home schooled, and my helper lol. So far I already called one parent and she said no problem. I have to inform them now but I came to pick up her prescription and a note that I can show parents.
wdmmom 12:14 PM 03-19-2013
From personal experience, my families wouldn't be able to accommodate that many closings and I'd probably be faced with some very unhappy families and possibly termination notices.

I would tell the families that dd has strep now and leave the ball in their court on whether they want their child to attend.

Perhaps you can print off something from mayo clinic or something that shows symptoms and things to look out for and just remind then that strep is highly contagious and if for some reason their child contracts it, they are required to be out of daycare for however long your policies state.
MonkeyingAround 12:21 PM 03-19-2013
Well if she's already been around the kids I'd say it is already too late to avoid spreading it. I would let the families know that she has strep and make her stay away from DC's for 24 hours.
Springdaze 12:24 PM 03-19-2013
I would just keep her away from the already exposed kids.
Crystal 12:28 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Sorry should of been more specific. Shes 13 yrs old, home schooled, and my helper lol. So far I already called one parent and she said no problem. I have to inform them now but I came to pick up her prescription and a note that I can show parents.
How is she your helper?
Crystal 12:38 PM 03-19-2013
I should clarify - do you use her to keep your ratios even? How many children do you have and could you care for them without her help? I would have her stay in her room and not close if possible.
JLH 02:51 PM 03-19-2013
When my kids are sick I keep them in their bedrooms and away from the daycare. We never close. Good luck!
Little Star75 07:44 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I should clarify - do you use her to keep your ratios even? How many children do you have and could you care for them without her help? I would have her stay in her room and not close if possible.
She helps around like serving drinks, activities such as arts and crafts but to actually watch them..... NO.
Crystal 08:26 AM 03-20-2013
She helps around like serving drinks, activities such as arts and crafts but to actually watch them..... NO.
I would just have her hang out in her room then. What did you end up deciding to do?
Little Star75 09:47 AM 03-20-2013
I would just have her hang out in her room then. What did you end up deciding to do?
I remained open and my daughter is still helping me. Parents were ok with too, she's barely starting her meds today because doctor didn't call it in on time
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:54 AM 03-20-2013
We homeschool too. Dd is now away at college. 16 yr old ds still at home and he is the best jungle gym around! He loves chasing the little ones for me.
When my own kids or dh is sick they stay upstairs and away from child care! I use whoever is well to run them up things.
Unregistered 10:03 AM 03-20-2013
I remained open and my daughter is still helping me. Parents were ok with too, she's barely starting her meds today because doctor didn't call it in on time
sorry....but why is your daughter still helping you if she has strep???!!!
Little Star75 10:07 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
sorry....but why is your daughter still helping you if she has strep???!!!
If I need to use the potty...... She will supervise for no more than 5 min
I have nobody to help me. The kids been exposed already
Unregistered 10:30 AM 03-20-2013
If I need to use the potty...... She will supervise for no more than 5 min
I have nobody to help me. The kids been exposed already
I think I am going to just bite my tongue.....
Crystal 10:33 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think I am going to just bite my tongue.....
Good idea....but I think I agree with you
Crystal 10:37 AM 03-20-2013
Okay. I can't bite my toungue. I have to be honest here, even if it "hurts".

Your daughter should not be around the other children. Period. In California, you could get in trouble for that. But, regardless of that.....would you allow DCK's to attend with strep throat just because others "might" have been exposed? If the answer is no, then your daughter should be treated as a DCK and not be allowed to "attend" until she has been on antibiotics for 24-48 hours.

Your decision to allow her to work with the children is irresponsible, at best. You are knowingly, intentionally exposing other children to a potentially EXTREMELY dangerous illness. NOT COOL
Crystal 10:38 AM 03-20-2013
One other thing. In California your daughter cannot be left alone to supervise the children for 1 minute, much less five. Under the age of 18 can NEVER be left alone with children.
momofsix 10:53 AM 03-20-2013
One other thing. In California your daughter cannot be left alone to supervise the children for 1 minute, much less five. Under the age of 18 can NEVER be left alone with children.
?? So if a provider in CA has one of their older children in the room with the dc children-be it a 12 yo or a 17yo-that child would need to leave the room whenever provider walked out? Whether to use the bathroom, get a drink, make a bottle??? I'm assuming provider is still w/in hearing distance of the kids.
Not trying to start a debate here, but I'm curious what the proper action is.
fwiw, I have a sick 16yo here at home-she's stuck in her room all day even though she was around all the kids right before she got sick
Jewels 11:05 AM 03-20-2013
I wouldn't close, but I would have kept her away, laying down and resting somewhere. I'm confused on the statement "I have no other helper" do you really need one You can't do it by yourself, thats what it sounded like from your statement... She's sick,she shouldn't be exposingj( even though she already has) anymore, she should be resting and away.
Crystal 11:13 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
?? So if a provider in CA has one of their older children in the room with the dc children-be it a 12 yo or a 17yo-that child would need to leave the room whenever provider walked out? Whether to use the bathroom, get a drink, make a bottle??? I'm assuming provider is still w/in hearing distance of the kids.
Not trying to start a debate here, but I'm curious what the proper action is.
fwiw, I have a sick 16yo here at home-she's stuck in her room all day even though she was around all the kids right before she got sick
I have had three of my own children work with DCK over the years and I would never leave them alone with DCK for one second, as a personal preference, because I would never want any accusations made against my children. Even if I did want to allow it, in California your own children do not count in ratios after the age of ten but they are never to be left alone to care for children. For a brief second, I am sure that is okay. But the OP is saying that her daughter supervises the children ALONE for "no more than five minutes" Aside from that, in California she would have to be 14 to be counted as an "assistant" and even then she could never be left alone with the children.

I don't make the regs....I just follow them
Crystal 11:14 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I wouldn't close, but I would have kept her away, laying down and resting somewhere. I'm confused on the statement "I have no other helper" do you really need one You can't do it by yourself, thats what it sounded like from your statement... She's sick,she shouldn't be exposingj( even though she already has) anymore, she should be resting and away.

I am curious to know how many children the provider has in care that she would require the need for assistance instead of allowing her sick daughter to rest in bed away from other children. And, if homeschooling, then her focus should be on school, not working in her mother's daycare.

Call me judgemental, but something just doesn't seem right about it.
lovemykidstoo 11:26 AM 03-20-2013
I am curious to know how many children the provider has in care that she would require the need for assistance instead of allowing her sick daughter to rest in bed away from other children. And, if homeschooling, then her focus should be on school, not working in her mother's daycare.

I was wondering the same. Not judging, just curious.
Crystal 11:36 AM 03-20-2013
From license regs on illness:

102417 OPERATION OF A FAMILY CHILD CARE HOME (Continued) 102417
(e) When a child shows signs of illness he/she shall be separated from other children and the nature of the illness determined. If it is a communicable disease he/she shall be separated from other children until the infectious stage is over.
momofsix 11:54 AM 03-20-2013

I don't remember reading anywhere that she desperately needs an assistant ("requires") just that her dd is there and she uses her. DD has already had strep for about a week if I'm reading things correctly and may already be "feeling" much better. Strep will get better on its own without antibiotics. I would doubt that she would make her daughter be with the kids if she were really feeling sick. I myself would have her separated, but I don't see the huge problems you are seeing,
As for the homeschooling part, that I can answer from experience. The time it takes a dedicated 13 yo to do schoolwork (if she's a dedicated worker and self motivated) isn't long. My oldest dd graduated homeschooled (with a great ACT score, just so you know we weren't slackers ) but did school usually in the evenings because that's when she enjoyed doing it and her brain worked best. A child that age can get her school finished and have tons of time leftover to help with the daycare if she chooses.
Unregistered 12:09 PM 03-20-2013
I don't remember reading anywhere that she desperately needs an assistant .
Little Star 75 said herself "I have nobody to help me." I know there is alot of us out here who do this on our own and don't have any help during the day and we do it just fine. If she is having to rely on her daughter every day to help her out (and she can not take a day off because she is sick) then maybe Little Star75 has to many kids in her care since she is not able to manage them on her own or this isn't the right thing for her ..... sorry...just my honest opinion....I don't want to hurt any feelings or stir up a bunch of controversy.
Kaddidle Care 12:21 PM 03-20-2013
Last week I closed as an emergency for 2 days because I had step-throat... Do you all remember that? Well the next day I took my daughter to get checked because she had the same symptoms. Doctor did a check up and noticed irritation but refused giving her meds for it that not until she knew exact what she had, this was last Thursday. I remained closed the rest of the week waiting for the results, this week i open as normal then today i get a call from the doctor saying my dd was positive for it. So now the question is, what do I do? Close again for 2 days while she starts the antibiotics? Or do I keep her in her room all day?
She has to stay away from the children until she is on the antibiotics at least 24 hours.

The overnight Strep Test is just that - overnight. They should have let you know on Friday. Always call to verify after 24 hours. It's clear that the Dr.'s office cannot be counted on to let you know. Be proactive, not reactive.
Crystal 12:36 PM 03-20-2013
I don't remember reading anywhere that she desperately needs an assistant ("requires") just that her dd is there and she uses her. DD has already had strep for about a week if I'm reading things correctly and may already be "feeling" much better. Strep will get better on its own without antibiotics. I would doubt that she would make her daughter be with the kids if she were really feeling sick. I myself would have her separated, but I don't see the huge problems you are seeing,
As for the homeschooling part, that I can answer from experience. The time it takes a dedicated 13 yo to do schoolwork (if she's a dedicated worker and self motivated) isn't long. My oldest dd graduated homeschooled (with a great ACT score, just so you know we weren't slackers ) but did school usually in the evenings because that's when she enjoyed doing it and her brain worked best. A child that age can get her school finished and have tons of time leftover to help with the daycare if she chooses.
Well, unregistered answered the need for an assitant part.....yes OP did say she needed her daughter's assistance.

Re. Homeschooling. I get that a 13 year old probably finishes on her own more quickly than a younger child. I homeschooled my son last year when he was 14 and yes, he did finish early, BUT I had him do other school-related things. Reading, researching, studying, sending on field trips, etc.....things that are a neccessary part of school, not part of my job. Sure, he'd take regular breaks, just like he would at school and "drop-in" and say hi to the kids, but he wasn't responsible for helping in any way.

I suppose whatever works for the OP is fine, and it is really none of my business....but I consider home-schooling to require MORE time from the child, rather than less and I think it is unfair to have a child help me with my job just because they aren't "at school". I am not saying this provider homeschools for the purpose of having help, but from my own experience with neices and nephews whose parents DID do that....well they ended up not finishing high school and GREATLY resent their parents now.

Regardless, her daughter should not be around the other children, as per licensing regs, until she is no longer contagious. Regardless of if the other children had previously been exposed (who knows, maybe they didn't get it from last week but might this week....perhaps the daughter forgets to cover her mouth or wash her hands and NOW a child catches it) she should be separated from the other children.

Yes, strep CAN be relatively minor, but for some people, like my husband, it can cause EXTREME issues. I wouldn't take a chance with it.

I will NEVER understand how providers expect and demand one thing from a parent but do the EXACT opposite when it comes to their own children.
lovemykidstoo 12:44 PM 03-20-2013
I definately see your point about expecting one thing from our families and doing the same thing ourself. I will say though that I was just wondering how many kids that the op had in her care. Not because I wanted to slam her, I was just curious. I think her daughter helping normally is not a big deal. Both of my kids have helped me in the past, not becuause I "needed" them to, but because it was convenient. You also don't know what time of the day it is. Maybe it's during the daughters lunch or when she's done with her work. My son is home at 3:00 from school. I still have 2 1/2 hrs of work at that time of day. Maybe it was during that time of day. It doesn't sound like the daughter is neglecting her schoolwork. I think to get back to the original question of the daughter being around the dck's (that was the original question wasn't it? I forgot LOL). Probably should be on the sidelines until the medicine kicks in. When my kids have been home not feeling well, they stay in bed until they're better. They are not mingling with the dck's. I also tell the parents and let them decide after they are assured that their kids won't even see my sick child.
Crystal 12:49 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I definately see your point about expecting one thing from our families and doing the same thing ourself. I will say though that I was just wondering how many kids that the op had in her care. Not because I wanted to slam her, I was just curious. I think her daughter helping normally is not a big deal. Both of my kids have helped me in the past, not becuause I "needed" them to, but because it was convenient. You also don't know what time of the day it is. Maybe it's during the daughters lunch or when she's done with her work. My son is home at 3:00 from school. I still have 2 1/2 hrs of work at that time of day. Maybe it was during that time of day. It doesn't sound like the daughter is neglecting her schoolwork. I think to get back to the original question of the daughter being around the dck's (that was the original question wasn't it? I forgot LOL). Probably should be on the sidelines until the medicine kicks in. When my kids have been home not feeling well, they stay in bed until they're better. They are not mingling with the dck's. I also tell the parents and let them decide after they are assured that their kids won't even see my sick child.
I agree that her daughter normally helping her is not a big deal.....I shouldn't even have commented on it further, like I said it really is none of my business I just got a little over the top irritated that a child with strep throat is "supervising" other children. If she is well enough for that, then she should be "at school". Oh, btw, I do know what time it is where OP is because I am in California too

I digress and will leave the homeschool bit alone, like I said it is none of my business.

I do, however, stand by that she should not be around the other children until on antibiotics for 24 hours and she should NEVER be left alone with the children.
Country Kids 01:26 PM 03-20-2013
Chrystal,

In reading this thread and the Strep Throat thread, she went to the doctor 7 days ago and the doctor just now told her yes, it was strep. Also, the doctor hasn't even given her an antibotic to take.

So would you seclude your child for the last week away from the childcare when your not even sure what they have? The doctor didn't even confirm strep till yesterday and did the test on Thursday. So really the childcare was more then likely exposed to it ALL of last week and then the first of this week.

Then her doctor hasn't even called the perscription in for the child and BlackCat even confirmed that Drs. in her area aren't in a haste to call in prescriptions for this.

So if this was your child, how long would you keep them secluded when the doctor won't do anything about the antibiotic?

This is the information I have read between this thread and the strep throat thread.
Little Star75 01:28 PM 03-20-2013
Okay. I can't bite my toungue. I have to be honest here, even if it "hurts".

Your daughter should not be around the other children. Period. In California, you could get in trouble for that. But, regardless of that.....would you allow DCK's to attend with strep throat just because others "might" have been exposed? If the answer is no, then your daughter should be treated as a DCK and not be allowed to "attend" until she has been on antibiotics for 24-48 hours.

Your decision to allow her to work with the children is irresponsible, at best. You are knowingly, intentionally exposing other children to a potentially EXTREMELY dangerous illness. NOT COOL
Did I say work? No! She supervises from her room for Gods sake! She's not near the children I think I know better than that. Is this clear now?!
Little Star75 01:31 PM 03-20-2013
Okay I have a question for you... If you have 5 children under your care and you don't have NOBODY to help, what do you do with the children when you need to use the restroom? Leave them unattended?
Little Star75 01:34 PM 03-20-2013
I think I know my license regulations as far as having an assistant they can help around if they are 14 or above. At least this is what I was told at my orientation. 18 and above need a to test and fingerprints.

And no, I never have a child in the room with any of my own. They do not have access to any of the rooms
Little Star75 01:36 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I guess I'm not being specific and honest,y I don't like people's judgements either, if they want to know more... Please ask before they start judging

Thank you
Country Kids 01:36 PM 03-20-2013
Okay I have a question for you... If you have 5 children under your care and you don't have NOBODY to help, what do you do with the children when you need to use the restroom? Leave them unattended?
Its just me here and I have 6-10 and I just run in and use the restroom while their playing. I tell them they need to sit for a minute and just go. Really, I'm actually out of eye sight for about 30 sec..

I don't know about CA. but my state is sight/or sound for the kids.
Little Star75 01:43 PM 03-20-2013
:Sunny

Yes you are definitely judge mental without knowing the facts. Please ask before speaking please. My daughter never watches the kids, her room is across from the playroom and supervises from her room while I use the restroom. FYI I'm licensed for up to 8 children and currently have 5 children under my care toddlers and 2 infants. My 18-yr old son whom is TB, fingerprinted, and is CPR certified helps occasionally but is hardly home since he goes to college and has 2 P/T jobs.
Now does this explain my situation better????
Little Star75 01:44 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
She has to stay away from the children until she is on the antibiotics at least 24 hours.

The overnight Strep Test is just that - overnight. They should have let you know on Friday. Always call to verify after 24 hours. It's clear that the Dr.'s office cannot be counted on to let you know. Be proactive, not reactive.
I did my part and had no results then called back on Monday and still no results.
Crystal 01:45 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Chrystal,

In reading this thread and the Strep Throat thread, she went to the doctor 7 days ago and the doctor just now told her yes, it was strep. Also, the doctor hasn't even given her an antibotic to take.

So would you seclude your child for the last week away from the childcare when your not even sure what they have? The doctor didn't even confirm strep till yesterday and did the test on Thursday. So really the childcare was more then likely exposed to it ALL of last week and then the first of this week.

Then her doctor hasn't even called the perscription in for the child and BlackCat even confirmed that Drs. in her area aren't in a haste to call in prescriptions for this.

So if this was your child, how long would you keep them secluded when the doctor won't do anything about the antibiotic?

This is the information I have read between this thread and the strep throat thread.
If my child had symptoms of it, ESPECIALLY after having been diagnosed with it myself, YES, I would keep my child away from the other children.....for however many days that took. As the Mom, I'd be BLOWING UP THAT DOCTOR'S PHONE demanding that the prescription is called in IMMEDIATELY. I would then report the doctor for failure to act.
Crystal 01:48 PM 03-20-2013
:Sunny

Yes you are definitely judge mental without knowing the facts. Please ask before speaking please. My daughter never watches the kids, her room is across from the playroom and supervises from her room while I use the restroom. FYI I'm licensed for up to 8 children and currently have 5 children under my care toddlers and 2 infants. My 18-yr old son whom is TB, fingerprinted, and is CPR certified helps occasionally but is hardly home since he goes to college and has 2 P/T jobs.
Now does this explain my situation better????
Yes, this does. You initially said she "supervises"....who woulda thunk you meant from her bedroom? So, please, if you don't want me to "question" you, be more specific when you post. Or not, it's up to you
Little Star75 01:49 PM 03-20-2013
Thank you Yes you are right, she's never with the kids left alone. She comes along once in a while to join us in free play, she helps with set ups for activities and food.
As far as homeschooling she also does her work in the evenings and gets her work done the same way. I'm also a mother of 4 ages 20, 18, 15, 14, and 8. My step dd is 14. I do most of the corrections at night and I also work weekends trying to get her homework together for the week.
Little Star75 01:50 PM 03-20-2013
Yes, this does. You initially said she "supervises"....who woulda thunk you meant from her bedroom? So, please, if you don't want me to "question" you, be more specific when you post. Or not, it's up to you
Yes I will be more specific but please ask direct questions before judging.

Thank you
Little Star75 01:52 PM 03-20-2013
Btw... What would you call someone watching/observing the dck from her/his room? Isn't that supervising? I call that supervising that's why I used that term. Sorry if you understood differently
Crystal 01:53 PM 03-20-2013
Yes I will be more specific but please ask direct questions before judging.

Thank you
No problem.

How is your daughter feeling? Hope she is doing well.
Little Star75 01:55 PM 03-20-2013
If my child had symptoms of it, ESPECIALLY after having been diagnosed with it myself, YES, I would keep my child away from the other children.....for however many days that took. As the Mom, I'd be BLOWING UP THAT DOCTOR'S PHONE demanding that the prescription is called in IMMEDIATELY. I would then report the doctor for failure to act.
I agree on that part but where do I report this doctor. I feel that she didn't do her job. After I told her I run a daycare and that I needed the results a.s.a.p. she just said I will try my best. I called Friday and then Monday and still nothing then I get a call in the yesterday saying she was positive, then refuses to call in the prescription like are you serious
Little Star75 01:57 PM 03-20-2013
No problem.

How is your daughter feeling? Hope she is doing well.
She's doing good, in her room being bored lol, has a little discomfort but that's it.
CedarCreek 02:00 PM 03-20-2013
I do understand what the "supervising" means now. But you had to know that the way you worded it sounded like she was in the room.

So please, add the important details into your story before everyone (including yourself) gets all worked up.

Sorry to sound harsh,I couldn't think of a better way to word that.
CedarCreek 02:01 PM 03-20-2013
Group hug!

Crystal 02:06 PM 03-20-2013
I agree on that part but where do I report this doctor. I feel that she didn't do her job. After I told her I run a daycare and that I needed the results a.s.a.p. she just said I will try my best. I called Friday and then Monday and still nothing then I get a call in the yesterday saying she was positive, then refuses to call in the prescription like are you serious
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/consumer/compl...s_process.html

I would TOTALLY report this. If she is part of an HMO, like Kaiser, you can report it to them....otherwise the link above is where I'd start.
Crystal 02:07 PM 03-20-2013
She's doing good, in her room being bored lol, has a little discomfort but that's it.
Good to hear. Hugs to you daughter
Little Star75 02:10 PM 03-20-2013
Thank you all! I think I will have to report her and definitely switching doctors.
Heidi 02:37 PM 03-20-2013
I don't get the problem with the teen, except the sick part. I agree that if she was showing signs of being sick, she should have been seperated.

As far as her being a helper, I don't know what your regs are. In WI, I can use my kids as helpers at any age. However, they count in my numbers until they are 7, and they don't count as a helper for ratio purposes until 18.

Children must be in sight OR sound. So, if I leave the room, and I ask my 15 yo to "step in" and keep an eye on things (in the summer or days off of school), as long as I am in sight or sound, there is no issue. She is just another set of eyes while I leave the room. I did have her get CPR, SIDS, and Shaken Baby training, because I think they are good life-skills for anyone. I can do the same with my 12 year old.

I cannot leave them alone with the children..alone as in I leave the house for a doctor's appointment and leave them in charge. That would be illegal and ridiculous. But, having a 15 year old sit nearby while I go potty is in no way wrong. Again, I am still within regs with sight OR sound.

Is CA sight AND sound? If so, how does a provider who works alone ever do anything, potty being the most obvious.
Blackcat31 02:40 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I don't get the problem with the teen, except the sick part. I agree that if she was showing signs of being sick, she should have been seperated.

As far as her being a helper, I don't know what your regs are. In WI, I can use my kids as helpers at any age. However, they count in my numbers until they are 7, and they don't count as a helper for ratio purposes until 18.

Children must be in sight OR sound. So, if I leave the room, and I ask my 15 yo to "step in" and keep an eye on things (in the summer or days off of school), as long as I am in sight or sound, there is no issue. She is just another set of eyes while I leave the room. I did have her get CPR, SIDS, and Shaken Baby training, because I think they are good life-skills for anyone. I can do the same with my 12 year old.

I cannot leave them alone with the children..alone as in I leave the house for a doctor's appointment and leave them in charge. That would be illegal and ridiculous. But, having a 15 year old sit nearby while I go potty is in no way wrong. Again, I am still within regs with sight OR sound.

Is CA sight AND sound? If so, how does a provider who works alone ever do anything, potty being the most obvious.
That's how MN is too.

Helper at 13 yrs old (Provider ON the property)
Substitute at 18 yrs (Provider can leave the property)

Children must be within sight OR sound of provider at all times.
Crystal 02:49 PM 03-20-2013
Sight or sound here too. My initial impression from the Op's description was that her 13 y.o. was being left alone to supervise for 5 minutes.....that has since been clarified and resolved.
mom2many 03:14 PM 03-20-2013

I'm in CA & have always been on my own with 6-8 kids. My house is small and it's an open floor plan, so I'm always within earshot if not actual sight of the kids...but there a times when I have to rely on my listening skills alone!

It has helped now that my hubby is retired and home more and I have had my own kids help to be an extra set of eyes, when they were in high school and still living here at home. I was never required to have an assistant, but as in OP's case, it made my life easier having an extra set of hands/eyes.

I see nothing wrong with OP's daughter helping, but always banned my own kids to their rooms if they were sick.
Little Star75 05:41 PM 03-20-2013

Thank you, that's my point too
Little Star75 05:44 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I'm in CA & have always been on my own with 6-8 kids. My house is small and it's an open floor plan, so I'm always within earshot if not actual sight of the kids...but there a times when I have to rely on my listening skills alone!

It has helped now that my hubby is retired and home more and I have had my own kids help to be an extra set of eyes, when they were in high school and still living here at home. I was never required to have an assistant, but as in OP's case, it made my life easier having an extra set of hands/eyes.

I see nothing wrong with OP's daughter helping, but always banned my own kids to their rooms if they were sick.
Exactly! Yes she's been in her since yesterday and only comes out when needs to use the potty or eat. Her room is across the play area so she can see and hear them.
Jewels 06:53 PM 03-20-2013
I guess I'm not being specific and honest,y I don't like people's judgements either, if they want to know more... Please ask before they start judging

Thank you
I want being judgemental, you said "you had no other helper" that was just confusing, I wasnt sure why you needed a helper, it made it seem like you needed her to help you, that had been clarified, it was just worded wrong, I think in all states your aloud to use the bathroom without watching kids, we are aloud 5 minutes personal time here, if something happens while I'm pooping.... WellI guess I'm just glad I'm not my husband and it doesnt take me 40 minutes
Glad everyone is feeling better, sorry you felt judged, not my intention, but I think we all get judged a little at some point on here, nothing comes through as its meant in writing. And I never meant anything about having a helper, I have had my teenage sister help me and I love having a helper!
ksmith 02:07 AM 03-21-2013
I would give parents the option. Let them know that she will be separated from the kids if they choose to bring them, but sadly she has already been around them and exposed them. That way they feel they have some say in the matter. Maybe some of them can stay home or choose to have a relative or friend keep them for the day. I just wouldn't charge those parents for that day given the circumstances, unless you normally still charge for your closures.
Kaddidle Care 04:39 AM 03-21-2013
I did my part and had no results then called back on Monday and still no results.
Everything I have read says the culture should be ready to read in no more than 2 days, not 5. Find another Doctor because their office failed the test IMHO.

Just read this.. so your daughter has a positive result for strep and Dr. refused to give her antibiotics? Strep is serious stuff.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260
"If untreated, strep throat can sometimes cause complications such as kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a rash and even damage to heart valves. "
Heidi 08:09 AM 03-21-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Everything I have read says the culture should be ready to read in no more than 2 days, not 5. Find another Doctor because their office failed the test IMHO.

Just read this.. so your daughter has a positive result for strep and Dr. refused to give her antibiotics? Strep is serious stuff.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260
"If untreated, strep throat can sometimes cause complications such as kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a rash and even damage to heart valves. "
My mother got rhuematic fever as a child (age 12), and was bedridden for 3 months!
Little Star75 08:52 AM 03-21-2013
My mother got rhuematic fever as a child (age 12), and was bedridden for 3 months!
Omg so sorry that happen...

Last week I had step throat (Tuesday) got on antibiotics, my daughter started having same symptoms so I called doctor same day and was told to go the next day in the morning 10:30am. We go in doctor Checks her and says "oh yes she has signs" so she did the swam culture to send it away. I asked if she can give her something in case she did have it. I explained to her that I ran a daycare and didn't want her to expose the children. (Btw I closed dc as soon as I found out I had it) she said "no" we walked out of there furious. So Thursday passed Friday came I called and no results, the weekend passed then Monday came and I opened. I called first thing in the morning and nothing no results, so my daughter was around here and there, at that point I figured she didn't have it. So Tuesday came and called and still nothing, hours later I get a phone call from doctor saying it came back positive, I was like are you serious?! She's been near these children. All she said was to that the prescription will be ready for me to pick up. So I told her "ok I m on my way to the doctor when I get out I will go pick it up" at 12:20pm I was still at the doctors and figure I wasn't going to make it since they close for lunch at 12:30. I call and left a message with the clerk to please call in the prescription, doctor got on the phone and told me "mam I don't have time to do that but I will try my best" I explained to her again that I run a daycare and can't just leave whenever I want. She was like whatever (this was Tuesday) so i go to the pharmacy around 8:30pm figuring she had called around 5pm well to my surprise.... Nothing. I called the next morning and clerk said "she called it in and left a message" so I asked "can she fax it better" because pharmacy never received a message. So doctor faxed it over around noon, I didnt pick it up because I had all children and couldn't leave. I waited until 6:30pm when all kids were gone and went to pick it up. My daughter started her antibiotics last night but been in her room.
So that was the whole story and I sure will report this. I feel that she failed in many ways.
What do you think?
Tags:sick parent
Reply Up