Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Torn
Candy 09:56 PM 04-12-2013
This is a off topic but this summer my bf son will becoming to live with us. My god son will also becoming to stay with us. Both will be going into the 6th grade and are both gifted. Im torn as to where to send them to school. The two schools we will be living by are both schools for gifted kids. The school that is closer to our house is a school just for smart kids but they would have to catch the school bus at 6am. Which is crazy in my opinion, the school is also a little less diverse then i would like it to be. The second school is a little further away and while it has a great TAG program it also has regular classes and they would be catching the bus at 6:40. The school is also very diverse they have many international students going there. If they don't do well at the first school im scared for them having to start all over at another school since that one doesn't of reg classes. And while they havent met each other yet(bf son is in Texas) they will start school only knowing each other. Atleast if one doesn't do well at the second school he will be able to take reg classes there instead of sending them to two different schools. Am i wrong for not having 100% faith that they would both excel at the school for gifted kids only?
LaLa1923 05:39 AM 04-13-2013
Originally Posted by Candy:
This is a off topic but this summer my bf son will becoming to live with us. My god son will also becoming to stay with us. Both will be going into the 6th grade and are both gifted. Im torn as to where to send them to school. The two schools we will be living by are both schools for gifted kids. The school that is closer to our house is a school just for smart kids but they would have to catch the school bus at 6am. Which is crazy in my opinion, the school is also a little less diverse then i would like it to be. The second school is a little further away and while it has a great TAG program it also has regular classes and they would be catching the bus at 6:40. The school is also very diverse they have many international students going there. If they don't do well at the first school im scared for them having to start all over at another school since that one doesn't of reg classes. And while they havent met each other yet(bf son is in Texas) they will start school only knowing each other. Atleast if one doesn't do well at the second school he will be able to take reg classes there instead of sending them to two different schools. Am i wrong for not having 100% faith that they would both excel at the school for gifted kids only?

No, I don't think so. I Think it's nice how you are essentially giving them the CHOICE of which classes they'd like to take. Maybe they could even take some gifted classes and some regular. I think it's also nice to have a nice diversity. Plus, a 6 am bus is just ridiculous.
ksmith 05:42 AM 04-13-2013
Maybe you could talk to their current teachers about both options and get their opinion as to which one they think would be a better fit for them academically. Also, do either of the gifted programs have entrance exams/interviews/etc to get in. If both do, then you may want to see what the results of those are as well before making a decision.
Candy 11:12 PM 04-13-2013
Originally Posted by ksmith:
Maybe you could talk to their current teachers about both options and get their opinion as to which one they think would be a better fit for them academically. Also, do either of the gifted programs have entrance exams/interviews/etc to get in. If both do, then you may want to see what the results of those are as well before making a decision.
I have already talked to my god son's teacher. It will be a new school district so she doesn't really know how it will work as they don't have gifted classes at their school. Bf son is in a different state right now. Both have entrance exams but can be wavied if they have a certain score on the state test or a 2.5 gpa since 3rd grade. I didn't even know kids had gpa's in 3rd grade!
youretooloud 12:14 AM 04-14-2013
I think the chances of both boys being gifted aren't that great. Most kids are bright, but not a lot are truly gifted.

If these boys are bright, and will do well in school, but not gifted, you could be setting them up to fail by putting them in a gifted school. It's stressful, and would make them feel like they aren't living up to these high standards.

I know that the gifted schools around here are very hard to get into. The testing process alone is long. The teachers have to recommend the child, then the child has testing.

We also have "honors" programs, or pull out programs, where if a child is gifted in math or reading, he or she goes to the excellerated classroom for a few hours. They still have more homework, and higher expectations, but they are in a regular classroom for most of the day.

A truly gifted child doesn't fit in with other kids. They know too much information about boring things, they give WAY too much information about whatever their current obsession happens to be. You might ask how their weekend was, and they will go into great detail about how ice crystals form on windowsills. They think differently, they have quirks, and their friends have quirks.
Sugar Magnolia 06:50 AM 04-14-2013
Ok, I don't mean to be a Negative Nellie, but.......the school in our area for gifted children.......has a LOT of discipline problems. There are 2 ways to get in, the school board testing, or having a private psychologist test them. It is my understanding that about 75 percent if the students there got in through private testing. And if they don't pass from one private psychologist, they hop to another one until they do pass. So basically.......yeah......all rich kids, who are spoiled, and don't like being told no. Yes, they do have an excellent academic program.....but I know several people who pulled their child out due to bullying and other discipline problems with other kids.
My son goes to Elementary school in a very wealthy neighborhood. They have uniforms. But the children will pick on other children because they don't have the right shoes, or back pack, or their parents don't have the right car. My son was snarkily told his shoes are from Walmart. Personally, I'd pick the more diverse school.
Candy 11:01 AM 04-14-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I think the chances of both boys being gifted aren't that great. Most kids are bright, but not a lot are truly gifted.

If these boys are bright, and will do well in school, but not gifted, you could be setting them up to fail by putting them in a gifted school. It's stressful, and would make them feel like they aren't living up to these high standards.

I know that the gifted schools around here are very hard to get into. The testing process alone is long. The teachers have to recommend the child, then the child has testing.

We also have "honors" programs, or pull out programs, where if a child is gifted in math or reading, he or she goes to the excellerated classroom for a few hours. They still have more homework, and higher expectations, but they are in a regular classroom for most of the day.

A truly gifted child doesn't fit in with other kids. They know too much information about boring things, they give WAY too much information about whatever their current obsession happens to be. You might ask how their weekend was, and they will go into great detail about how ice crystals form on windowsills. They think differently, they have quirks, and their friends have quirks.
Not sure i agree about the not fitting in part. I was in TAG and was pretty popular actually alot of us were.
youretooloud 02:04 PM 04-14-2013
Not sure i agree about the not fitting in part. I was in TAG and was pretty popular actually alot of us were.
Maybe gifted is different in different parts of the United states, but here, it's the odd duck kids, who could possibly skip a few grades, or find a group of kids who are as gifted as themselves.

But, my point was, if the boys are advanced, but not gifted, putting them in a gifted only school is setting them up to feel like they don't measure up. The amount of extra homework is also staggering. Do they want to commit to that?
Candy 05:42 PM 04-14-2013
Maybe gifted is different in different parts of the United states, but here, it's the odd duck kids, who could possibly skip a few grades, or find a group of kids who are as gifted as themselves.

But, my point was, if the boys are advanced, but not gifted, putting them in a gifted only school is setting them up to feel like they don't measure up. The amount of extra homework is also staggering. Do they want to commit to that?
Lol srry you misunderstood. Advanced kids are placed in TAG there is no seperate classes for talented, gifted, and advanced its all in one
youretooloud 06:10 PM 04-14-2013
Lol srry you misunderstood. Advanced kids are placed in TAG there is no seperate classes for talented, gifted, and advanced its all in one

Ya..sorry. We have the "gifted" school which is for the highly exceptional kids.

"Student performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment, and who exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area and possess an unusual capacity for leadership; or
excels in a specific academic field."

They take a Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence and must score over 125 on the test.

Parents drive their kids from all over the city to get their kids to this school.
Candy 07:57 PM 04-14-2013
Oh no if I had to drive them they wouldn't go
Angelsj 05:08 AM 04-15-2013

What you are describing here is a child (or adult) with Asperger's. I have an IQ in the "gifted" range (above 150 is all that is required) and none of the quirks or social deficits you describe. I can carry on a normal conversation and read other people's faces and gauge mood. I was also popular in school, mostly because I was good with people.
I also have children with Asperger's and they do have the issues here.
Reply Up