Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Relatives Working For You
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:12 PM 04-22-2013
I have another question today: My aunt found out I will probably be taking over a daycare and she got all excited and asked if I would hire her. Right at first I thought, "that would be perfect! Someone I already know, willing to work for me, without having to interview and find someone when the time comes for hiring an assistant/opener." So I acted enthusiastic about the idea, without thinking.... And now she keeps asking when I'll be opening, what she has to do before I can hire her (CPR/TB test/background check, etc), and other questions about it. But as soon as I responded enthusiastically I could have kicked myself. A relative working for me? One who loves to gossip or create drama, not the best work ethic, I'm not even sure if I could rely on her to be there on time to open (I was thinking I'd have her open so I didn't have to work such a long day, once the families got used to her). I find it more important to be there at closing myself because parents have more time then to discuss anything that needs to be discussed. I live in the town next to the town that the daycare building/house is in, so if she didn't show up on time, it would be a little while before I could get there.
I have tried to discourage her, saying some of the cons of working for me. I could only pay you minimum wage, you'd have to come in early, it would only be part time, it could be a long while before I have enough children enrolled to hire you, and so on. But on everything I mention she says, "that's okay! Any money is better than no money". She isn't currently working anywhere, and most likely won't be for while, so even if it is a long time before I could hire her, I'm afraid she'd still be available to work for me, if not just long enough to be nosey and see how I do running it, and then blaming everything on my "poor management" when she quits. The other problem is, I have another lady in mind (a 2nd cousin, on the other side of the family than my aunt), who I KNOW beyond any doubt would be a perfect to have work for me. I know I could trust her completely, rely on her to do the schedule she commits to, not take advantage, just because she knows me, and be really good with the children (she used to have a daycare years ago, actually). So if I was going to hire someone, I'd MUCH rather hire the 2nd cousin. How would you handle this with my aunt, who isn't letting it drop that she's ready to work for me? I responded enthusiastically at first, so I can't back track and say my 2nd cousin asked first.
Cradle2crayons 06:12 PM 04-22-2013
Gosh this is a hard one. Does she happen to have anything on her background check that may show up! Gosh, grasping at straws here. I'm guessing you can only hire ONE person? If so, then I'd have to be honest with her. Heck worse comes to worse, hire her as a one week trial. Make her sign an employment contract saying if x, y, and z happens, then she will be replaced and both of you sign it. Other than that, I'm not sure.... Gosh it's a hard one... Can you think of any reason she would be disqualified for employment in a daycare?
Unregistered 07:01 PM 04-22-2013
Say your have had a number of people show interest and you will be conducting interviews to see who will be the most qualified and ideal person for the long haul? Talk about how someone else with experience and intentions of being there long term would be an upsell when looking for clients?

That's a tricky one It is your business though, reputation, income etc.
butterfly 07:47 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Say your have had a number of people show interest and you will be conducting interviews to see who will be the most qualified and ideal person for the long haul? Talk about how someone else with experience and intentions of being there long term would be an upsell when looking for clients?

That's a tricky one It is your business though, reputation, income etc.

Could technically hire them both, but have the cousin work more hours. Use your aunt as a fill in if either of you are sick or need extra hands for a field trip or something. It gets tricky working with family. I'm not sure I'd want to travel that road, but I too wouldn't want to cause hurt feelings either by not hiring them...
itlw8 07:57 AM 04-23-2013
do you need a cook ,a sub, cleaning help, someone for the after school,
ksmith 09:26 AM 04-23-2013
I think I would hire them both if you could. Have your second cousin work more full-time hours, and have a bigger role in the daycare, but have your aunt do things like give breaks, prepare meals, etc and maybe only have her there a few hours of the day. You did say it was part-time, so she can't be upset with that. Also, I would be very clear on your expectations, and maybe have a period that way in case things do not work out. I don't think I would give her much responsibility though.
MarinaVanessa 09:39 AM 04-23-2013
Your Auntie doesn't have to know who asked you first, do as ksmith says and hire them both on ... cousin as FT and auntie as PT (when you are able and if it is needed). If at first you don't hire either and finally need to hire someone hire your cousin and give auntie a call.

"Hi auntie ... just calling to check in. I'm soo excited!! I finally have enough kids to hire a FT employee and just did that. I'm waiting for a few more kids to finally get to take you on as well!! I'm almost there!"

If auntie seems a little put-off because you didn't hire her just tell her that cuzzy wuzzy asked you first (make sure you tell cuzzy wuzzy this first so things don't leak out later) so you hired her first but you will still need someone later for PT (to relieve cuzzy wuzzy for breaks/lunch, tidying up, so you can leave for appointments/trainings and so you have a back-up just in case cuzzy needs a day etc.).

BUT make sure that regardless of whether either of them are family or not make sure you have them each sign an employment contract with SPECIFIC job duties and their responsibilities. I'd also have an employment handbook with policies about dress code, cell phone and phone usage, etc. Treat tham as non-family employees. Good luck! How exciting for you!!
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:39 PM 04-23-2013
Thank you everyone for your advice and ideas. No, I can't think of any reason she would be disqualified from working there. She's a very decent lady, it's just her work ethic (showing up each day, coming in on time, actually working while she's there, etc) that I don't trust. And if she got mad at me for any reason, it would cause problems within the family (because she would see to it that it did).
Also, I cannot hire more than one person. I am not expecting to have that many children enrolled, so all I will be needing is one part time person, who can also maybe fill in if I'm sick, and possibly a highschool student to assist me during after school hours. I thought maybe I could hire both for part time hours and split the 20 hours between them, but then realized that would only give each of them ten hours a week, and neither of them would find the distance they drive worth that. Plus I don't think it would be fair to my second cousin who would actually be helping and not just trying to be nosey.
MarinaVanessa 04:15 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Thank you everyone for your advice and ideas. No, I can't think of any reason she would be disqualified from working there. She's a very decent lady, it's just her work ethic (showing up each day, coming in on time, actually working while she's there, etc) that I don't trust. And if she got mad at me for any reason, it would cause problems within the family (because she would see to it that it did).
Also, I cannot hire more than one person. I am not expecting to have that many children enrolled, so all I will be needing is one part time person, who can also maybe fill in if I'm sick, and possibly a highschool student to assist me during after school hours. I thought maybe I could hire both for part time hours and split the 20 hours between them, but then realized that would only give each of them ten hours a week, and neither of them would find the distance they drive worth that. Plus I don't think it would be fair to my second cousin who would actually be helping and not just trying to be nosey.
So hire your cuz and tell auntie that she asked first and that you are still not at the point that you need another employee yet but that she is first on your list.
wdmmom 06:09 PM 04-23-2013
Been there, done that! My sister has asked me for a job, friends have asked me for a job, even my kids teachers have offered to work for me during the summer!

I did hire my SIL and she worked for me for about 7 months but it ended disastrous! To put it simple, I had to let her go. Problems progressed and I knew it was the best move. Especially after I had spoken to her countless times.

Let's just put it this way. This happened back in March of 2010 and I just spoke for her for the first time in December 2012.

Hiring family or friends will NEVER happen again!!!
Reply Up