Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hi, My Name Is _____ And I Have An Addiction..
spud912 03:26 PM 05-23-2013
Hi everyone, my name is spud and I have an addiction to....

Arts and Crafts supplies!!

My addictions rotate from toys (especially wooden ones) to manipulatives to theme-related materials. But....now, every time I wander into a craft store I spend around $20+ on craft supplies I've convinced myself is necessary. I mean, come on really, did I really have to go to the craft store yesterday and get a bunch of googly eyes with eyelashes, foam stickers and wooden treasure boxes? Don't even get me started on painting supplies! I'm not even artistically inclined! I feel like Martha Stewart has taken over my brain!

Anyone else want to fess up to their addictions?
Happy Hearts 04:20 PM 05-23-2013
Hi, my name is Miss J and I have a scrapbooking addiction. My husband is my enabler. My kids are the reason. I have no intention of ever stopping. Bring on the glitter!
blandino 04:29 PM 05-23-2013
Hi I am Miss B, and I am addicted to our monthly themes.

I have purchased more garden/dinosaur/farm things in the past 3 months, that I thought possible. Today at circle time we sat there wearing our dinosaur hat/masks each with our own toy dinosaur while we read dino book and then looked through the dino sensory bin.
Brooksie 04:33 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Hi I am Miss B, and I am addicted to our monthly themes.

I have purchased more garden/dinosaur/farm things in the past 3 months, that I thought possible. Today at circle time we sat there wearing our dinosaur hat/masks each with our own toy dinosaur while we read dino book and then looked through the dino sensory bin.
This is amazing. I LOVE IT! Wish I had the budget for that!
Currently, I'm PIN-dicted. Anyone who follows me is well aware. lol
countrymom 05:37 PM 05-23-2013
lets see, arts and crafts, yarn, scrapbooking, ribbon, I think I need a bigger craft room.
blandino 06:27 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
All from the dollar store. Also, when we are about to start a unit, I send something out for all parents lend us anything they think might be useful for the unit. So that supplements my purchases. The biggies expenditure I have for each unit is the books from scholastic.
Patches 07:14 PM 05-23-2013
Hi, my name is Patches, and I have a Craigslist addiction (99% daycare related) I'm pretty good at convincing myself that even though I don't NEED it now, it's too good a deal to pass up.
Familycare71 08:23 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:

daycarediva 03:16 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
All from the dollar store. Also, when we are about to start a unit, I send something out for all parents lend us anything they think might be useful for the unit. So that supplements my purchases. The biggies expenditure I have for each unit is the books from scholastic.
I do this too. *sigh*
LK5kids 03:30 AM 05-24-2013
Hi, my name is LK5kids and I used to have an addiction to making flannel board stories & activities. Made over 300! It was good therapy!

I still have the stalk rummage sales/resale shops for toys addiction.
daycarediva 03:38 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Hi, my name is LK5kids and I used to have an addiction to making flannel board stories & activities. Made over 300! It was good therapy!

I still have the stalk rummage sales/resale shops for toys addiction.
You should ETSY THOSE!!!!!!!! I have ZERO talent for making them, but my kids love them. I bought one on etsy that is has jungle animals/scenery and that was for curriculum 3 months ago and it is still used daily!
DaisyMamma 04:45 AM 05-24-2013
My name is Miss t and I have an addiction to Chihuahuas and Hedgehogs
Currently I have 3 Chihuahuas and 2 Hedgehogs
I was so obsessed with the Chihuahuas when I first got one 10+ years ago that I started an online store for all things Chihuahua, then started publishing a nationwide magazine on them which I stopped publishing 2 years ago to open my daycare.
The hedgehogs are a new obsession and I'm still in the learning stages but plan to breed them and hopefully one day will close the daycare in order to breed for a business.

Oh, was this a daycare question?> I'm obsessed with outdoor toys. Our front yard went from having a small area for a swing set and sandbox to a complete playground in just over a year, with 2 plastic playscapes, swingset, gigantic tractor tire and more.
choirlady76 05:04 AM 05-24-2013
Hi my name is miss Jan and I have a book addiction!! I tell ya, everytime I go into a store, especially the dollar store and teacher store I come home with books, children's books, resource books, you name it!! I told my fiancé we'll have to have a library in our home just for MY books I'm also big on lesson plan supplies!
countrymom 05:47 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
Hi my name is miss Jan and I have a book addiction!! I tell ya, everytime I go into a store, especially the dollar store and teacher store I come home with books, children's books, resource books, you name it!! I told my fiancé we'll have to have a library in our home just for MY books I'm also big on lesson plan supplies!
there is a new store in michigan called Ollies. Omg, I spent 100 dollars on books this weekend. Books are marked down so cheap (they are all brand new) that they are even cheaper than scholastic.
dave4him 05:53 AM 05-24-2013
To chips ahoy cookies.......... one bag lasts less then a day in this house
choirlady76 06:00 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
there is a new store in michigan called Ollies. Omg, I spent 100 dollars on books this weekend. Books are marked down so cheap (they are all brand new) that they are even cheaper than scholastic.
I can relate, I just got three more books at Bradburns parent teacher store and have two more on order They are always having great sales!! Last time I was there, I told them I'd keep them in business
Little Star75 06:06 AM 05-24-2013
Hi my name is Mrs A. and I'm addicted to Daycare.com lol besides this I'm also addicted to my crafts
choirlady76 06:32 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Hi my name is Mrs A. and I'm addicted to Daycare.com lol besides this I'm also addicted to my crafts
Love it!! I'm finding myself becoming addicted to these boards!! This is a great place!
itlw8 11:55 AM 05-24-2013
art supplies, childrens books, plants.... oh my the distressed plants at Lowes. I just can't leave them there.
spud912 02:09 PM 05-24-2013
Yes, children's books too! I've really chilled out with that one now that I go to the library regularly though. If the kids especially love a library book (or I want a special book like a pop-up one), then I will order it on Amazon used or find it at our local used bookstore (whichever is cheapest).
MarinaVanessa 03:09 PM 05-24-2013
Hi my name is Marina and I have one addiction ... all things daycare.

Art supplies, toys for daycare, supplies for daycare, themes, curriculum, lesson plans, Pinterest-ing for daycare, this daycare forum, Craigslist-ing daily for daycare (I bought 3 doll strollers today for $6 off a lady that closed her DC, she invited me back to look at her toys and supplies. She will hear from me soon), eBay-ing for daycare, Amazon-ing for daycare etc etc etc.

I just cleaned out and organized my daycare closet just off of the play room and my daycare stuff in the garage and had a booth at this years Kid's Swap Meet. I took 6 boxes of stuff and 6 bags of clothes to sell and brought back 3 boxes of stuff for daycare (not my own stuff, stuff that I bought for my daycare from other booths) and another provider I know is in the process of getting rid of a whole bunch of excess daycare stuff ... guess where all of that is going?? Yep, my house.

My DH thinks I go overboard and says we don't have room. My solution to him was that he move out and take all of his stuff with him so that I can have more room for more stuff or that we get a bigger house for daycare . We are currently in the process of looking for a bigger home (apparently he didn't want to move out ). I am constantly rotating my daycare stuff, organizing it and fussing with it. I feel like those people on Extreme Couponing that hoard and neatly display all of their stuff. Yep, that me. That's this gal right here... only daycare stuff.

I literally can't wait for the Back-to-School sales start so I can go buy a whole bunch of stuff ... my hands get sweaty just thinking about it. I already have my list ready so I don't forget something. I know, it's bad and I sound crazy. Let's not into how many hours a day/week I spend on planning, researching, internet-ing etc. for daycare.
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 05-25-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Hi my name is Marina and I have one addiction ... all things daycare.

Art supplies, toys for daycare, supplies for daycare, themes, curriculum, lesson plans, Pinterest-ing for daycare, this daycare forum, Craigslist-ing daily for daycare (I bought 3 doll strollers today for $6 off a lady that closed her DC, she invited me back to look at her toys and supplies. She will hear from me soon), eBay-ing for daycare, Amazon-ing for daycare etc etc etc.

I just cleaned out and organized my daycare closet just off of the play room and my daycare stuff in the garage and had a booth at this years Kid's Swap Meet. I took 6 boxes of stuff and 6 bags of clothes to sell and brought back 3 boxes of stuff for daycare (not my own stuff, stuff that I bought for my daycare from other booths) and another provider I know is in the process of getting rid of a whole bunch of excess daycare stuff ... guess where all of that is going?? Yep, my house.

My DH thinks I go overboard and says we don't have room. My solution to him was that he move out and take all of his stuff with him so that I can have more room for more stuff or that we get a bigger house for daycare . We are currently in the process of looking for a bigger home (apparently he didn't want to move out ). I am constantly rotating my daycare stuff, organizing it and fussing with it. I feel like those people on Extreme Couponing that hoard and neatly display all of their stuff. Yep, that me. That's this gal right here... only daycare stuff.

I literally can't wait for the Back-to-School sales start so I can go buy a whole bunch of stuff ... my hands get sweaty just thinking about it. I already have my list ready so I don't forget something. I know, it's bad and I sound crazy. Let's not into how many hours a day/week I spend on planning, researching, internet-ing etc. for daycare.
I wonder if there is any sort of correlation between this type of behavior and the number of years you have been in child care?

I used to be just like you Marina, but it seems that as of the last few years I can NOT deal with so much stuff. The toys...OMG!....there are just so many! And they are everywhere!!

For the last 2-3 years, I have been down sizing and ridding my houses (both daycare and my home) of unnecessary stuff.

Now instead of having every single version of Little Tikes Big Haulers (12 to be exact) I have 2.

Instead of bin after bin of action figures. I have 1. Yep. Just one.

It was hard at first but once I let go of that "need", it was easy and now I have no problem walking past a garage sale or going out of business daycare sale.
I don't need anyone else's stuff when I already have too much of my own.

School supplies? That is the ONLY area I can't let go of though. I don't even need a list. I just buy it all.
mamac 05:12 PM 05-25-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Hi, my name is Patches, and I have a Craigslist addiction (99% daycare related) I'm pretty good at convincing myself that even though I don't NEED it now, it's too good a deal to pass up.

Me exactly... well, except for the percentage. I think it's more like 99.999999% daycare related for me! My dh freaks out every time I start getting random calls from strange numbers. He knows it's someone calling me to set up a time for me to pick up my new "stuff".
BBDC 09:57 PM 05-25-2013
I am totally addicted to flowers at the moment! I love them and have been working on my flower beds for weeks. I love them and want more and more even though I have no room for them lol!
PolarCare 11:44 PM 05-25-2013
My addiction is fabric. I am CRAZY for fabric. Big pieces. Little pieces. Thick pieces. Thin pieces. OMG I LOVE FABRIC.

Bonus? Once in a blue moon I actually sew something.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:18 AM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wonder if there is any sort of correlation between this type of behavior and the number of years you have been in child care?

I used to be just like you Marina, but it seems that as of the last few years I can NOT deal with so much stuff. The toys...OMG!....there are just so many! And they are everywhere!!

For the last 2-3 years, I have been down sizing and ridding my houses (both daycare and my home) of unnecessary stuff.

Now instead of having every single version of Little Tikes Big Haulers (12 to be exact) I have 2.

Instead of bin after bin of action figures. I have 1. Yep. Just one.

It was hard at first but once I let go of that "need", it was easy and now I have no problem walking past a garage sale or going out of business daycare sale.
I don't need anyone else's stuff when I already have too much of my own.

School supplies? That is the ONLY area I can't let go of though. I don't even need a list. I just buy it all.
You know, I think your onto something. I still get daycare stuff but very specific items. I haven't bought craft supplies in a while because I am trying to use up what I have! Personal stuff.. I could get rid of most of it I have counted cross stitch, sewing stuff, painting art stuff etc. I have been working on downsizing all of it. I just got rid of a ton of homeschooling stuff! My kido is 16 and we have two tears left so anything I wasn't sure we would use left my house!
Tags:arts and crafts, arts and crafts - supplies
Reply Up