Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SUMMER S*&*s
lflick 10:18 AM 06-27-2013
Ok so this is more of a vent that anything BUT...... this is my first summer doing in home care full time.... I must say it is not even the 4th of July and I am over it... for lack of better words... I will say, honestly, my own kids are simply stressing me out more than anything.... the older 2! They are obnoxious.... never shut up... instigate everyone.... just so inappropriate... I feel they are really pushing me ever moment of every day as they know I can't up and scream at them in the presence of others.... Not saying that they need this or get this all the time BUT when they are being wicked to one another I am not afraid to raise my voice.

Am I the only one with this issue? How the heck do you deal? I feel like I am so annoyed with my own kids, by the time the dck are gone for the day I just want bedtime!
Cradle2crayons 10:22 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Ok so this is more of a vent that anything BUT...... this is my first summer doing in home care full time.... I must say it is not even the 4th of July and I am over it... for lack of better words... I will say, honestly, my own kids are simply stressing me out more than anything.... the older 2! They are obnoxious.... never shut up... instigate everyone.... just so inappropriate... I feel they are really pushing me ever moment of every day as they know I can't up and scream at them in the presence of others.... Not saying that they need this or get this all the time BUT when they are being wicked to one another I am not afraid to raise my voice.

Am I the only one with this issue? How the heck do you deal? I feel like I am so annoyed with my own kids, by the time the dck are gone for the day I just want bedtime!
My daughter gets like this when she is bored. So, if she's acting up, I give her lots of chores to keep her from being bored I do everything I can to keep her busy but I won't tolerate blatant disrespect from any child.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:

How old are your kids?

I think sometimes they act out because they KNOW you will handle it differently while "on the clock" verses the way in which you would handle it during family-only time.

Seems like kids are really good at deciphering when it is a time they can get by with a little bit more. kwim?

Any advice I have to offer, depends on the age of your kids.
lflick 10:30 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old are your kids?

I think sometimes they act out because they KNOW you will handle it differently while "on the clock" verses the way in which you would handle it during family-only time.

Seems like kids are really good at deciphering when it is a time they can get by with a little bit more. kwim?

Any advice I have to offer, depends on the age of your kids.

The oldest, who is the worst by far, is almost 8. Then his accomplice is 6. I really feel it's the oldest poking the bear more than anything. He also had ADHD, and has given me a royal run for my money with school..... he can be the sweetest being but can be a real... $h1t too..... I just am at my whits end and don't know what to do at this point.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 06-27-2013
With my own kids for summer, I buy treats or fun things to do after closing. If they get 3 X's on their calendar, they get no treat/fun thing.

Last night I bought glow sticks and we went in the hot tub together after dark. ODS had to sit out. He is being EXCELLENT today because there are ice cream cones in the freezer.
Heidi 11:06 AM 06-27-2013
Daycare Diva has a good strategy.

My own school-agers don't give me too many issues, but they are 16 & 12. The 12 year old sometimes get frustrated with the older dck's, but it's mostly because he doesn't understand child development and thinks they do things "purposely" to piss him off. We're working on that. In the meantime, if he gets overwhelmed, he can go in his room and shut the door.

For your kids, I'd make it clear that if they choose not to behave, they will not be welcome in the group for x amount of time. I'd send them to their rooms. In my opinion, they are old enough not to make your job harder. I'm kind of a mean mommy when it comes to that stuff.
craftymissbeth 11:36 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
With my own kids for summer, I buy treats or fun things to do after closing. If they get 3 X's on their calendar, they get no treat/fun thing.

Last night I bought glow sticks and we went in the hot tub together after dark. ODS had to sit out. He is being EXCELLENT today because there are ice cream cones in the freezer.
I've thought of doing something like this with my 6yo DS, but I would really prefer he behave on his own without rewards or bribery. At this point I'm not sure that's possible, though
MarinaVanessa 11:54 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
My daughter gets like this when she is bored. So, if she's acting up, I give her lots of chores to keep her from being bored I do everything I can to keep her busy but I won't tolerate blatant disrespect from any child.
"You can either [insert name of activity, game or toy here] or you can [insert chore here]"

My baseboards never sparkled to well. And that's from my 8yo DD and she has ADHD. She's my worst one too. Sometimes it takes her a while but after doing a few chores she changes her tune.
Cradle2crayons 11:56 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
"You can either [insert name of activity, game or toy here] or you can [insert chore here]"

My baseboards never sparkled to well. And that's from my 8yo DD and she has ADHD. She's my worst one too. Sometimes it takes her a while but after doing a few chores she changes her tune.

AMEN!!!
lflick 12:24 PM 06-27-2013
I am likely the most strict mom here hahaha... I refuse to reward them for behavior that is expected daily, no matter the circumstances. In my experience, it almost encourages further disobedience as they will expect a reward for proper behavior. I also do not feel it is fair to the others that are being good without incentives. We do plenty of fun "extras" as a family and there are special things we do... BUT these things are not even considered if they misbehave.

If that makes sense.
Josiegirl 04:34 AM 06-28-2013
Certain things are privileges here...video time in the afternoon, etc. If your own kids have certain things they love(video game time or whatever it might be), 3 strikes and they lose that privilege. Just briefly explain the 1-2-3 Magic principle, telling them if you count all the way to 3, they lose their privilege for the day. And try to remain calm while counting. So many kids respond well to this. At all ages. And course there are others who will push your buttons all the way to Kingdom come.
My3cents 12:42 PM 06-28-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Certain things are privileges here...video time in the afternoon, etc. If your own kids have certain things they love(video game time or whatever it might be), 3 strikes and they lose that privilege. Just briefly explain the 1-2-3 Magic principle, telling them if you count all the way to 3, they lose their privilege for the day. And try to remain calm while counting. So many kids respond well to this. At all ages. And course there are others who will push your buttons all the way to Kingdom come.
I can't stand one two three magic...... might work for some kids but not all.

If they can do what you want on three, they can do it on one. Esp if you watch them wait for 3-4

No Way...... Sometimes I need things done on one.......it is one thing if the kid doesn't hear you but 99% of the time they hear and selectively chose to not act. Nah I catch onto this real quick!

I am also kind too- Can see how I could come across as harsh....no
WImom 12:51 PM 06-28-2013
For my 10y and 8y old they get to play on the Ipad during nap if they are good all morning. (Once the obsession with it ends, I'll think of something else).

This year so far has been better than the rest. My 10y old is helping me out (I'm paying her $20 a month) and my 8y old is going to our School's Fieldhouse every morning for activities.

I like daycare diva's idea too. I also like the chore idea. Keeping those in my head for end of July. My summer may not be going as well by then.
Happy Hearts 01:26 PM 06-28-2013
I just got a call for 11 yo twins. My heart started racing..... until I calmly said, no thank you. My breathing is now back to normal!
Reply Up