Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure How to Charge This Family..
Momof2Boys 01:09 PM 09-16-2010
I have an interview tomorrow with a family who needs care for their 5 month old son Monday through Thursday one week, and Tuesday through Thursday the next (it would change like this every other week). The hours are long, 6:45am until about 5:30pm.

For full-time rates I usually charge $150 a week. Would this be fair to do even if every other week they only need care 3 days (rather than 4)? I am not full, and don't intend to ever be, so I am not sure if it's fair to tell her that the $150 is to hold her spot for all 4 days. However the hours would always be between 33 and 44 hours a week (full-time hours).

Also, I normally wouldn't charge if the child is sick and misses a day, because normally the $150 averages out to only $30 a day (for 5 days), and I can still live on that. But if this family didn't come for 1 or 2 days one week, I would be difficult to do without the $40-$50 for those days.

Or should I charge hourly? Like $4 or $5 an hour? At $4/hour it would average out to $154 a week, but at least they would feel like they were paying for the time their son was actually here. Are their any downsides to charging hourly?

The family hasn't once mentioned a rate, and I haven't wanted to be the first one to bring it up (in case I might low-ball it or I'm over their budget and lose the chance at an interview). I am hoping they will mention a rate tomorrow night and I can just decide from there if I am okay with it.

Anyway, I appreciate any advise/information!
AmandasFCC 01:19 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by :
For full-time rates I usually charge $150 a week. Would this be fair to do even if every other week they only need care 3 days (rather than 4)? I am not full, and don't intend to ever be, so I am not sure if it's fair to tell her that the $150 is to hold her spot for all 4 days. However the hours would always be between 33 and 44 hours a week (full-time hours).
For me, if someone wants part time, but fluctuating days, they must pay for a full time space OR they can take their chances with drop in.

Their long hours alone I think make it reasonable to charge full time rate.
Lilbutterflie 01:24 PM 09-16-2010
I would charge full time rates. She doesn't need to know that you never intend to be full. Four days at 11 hours per day is definitely full time to me!
Live and Learn 01:35 PM 09-16-2010
I get paid to hold a full time spot. The hours of attendane is full time so I would charge the full time rate which seems quite reasonable. I would also ask for payments at the beginning of the week before you watch the kids AND I would charge for their sick days. I don't charge parents when I am sick (almost never...2 days in 6 years) but I do charge parents if the kids aren't here for any reason....sick, vacation, day with grandparents, dr appointments. Before they sign on is the best time to inform them of these policies.
The problem with charging hourly is that they might want you to pro rate for early pickups and late drop offs, sick days, dr appointments. You can only watch a certain number of children so I would encourage you to implement a system that meets your needs and stick to it.
seashell 01:58 PM 09-16-2010
I would charge her for 4 days each week.
legomom922 02:31 PM 09-16-2010
I would never charge hrly..it can bite you..like what if hers hrs changed and he was only there 5 hrs instead of 11? I charge by the day, and have a 2 day min. In this case, I would charge 4 days because she is still using that slot every other week, and you cannot fill it with someone else only ever other week.

Now, if it were me in this situation, I would tell her her your FT rate is $150 for for anything over 30 hrs. That way you get your FT rate and weather its 33 hrs or 44, wont even matter. Case settled.
misol 07:53 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:

Now, if it were me in this situation, I would tell her her your FT rate is $150 for for anything over 30 hrs. That way you get your FT rate and weather its 33 hrs or 44, wont even matter. Case settled.
This is likely what I would do.
Momof2Boys 07:18 PM 09-17-2010
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Mom called around 5:00 this evening and said she was going to have to reschedule for Sunday because she was having car trouble. So our interview is going to be 11:00 on Sunday...keeping my fingers crossed
Tags:interview, rates
Reply Up