Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>vent, raising others children
mrs.meg 06:30 AM 09-01-2009
Okay, not to be mean but this thing where the parents bring the child to you whether they work or not is kind of making me crazy. I mean, I understand that they have to pay me whether the child is here or not but it just gets on my last nerve that the clients I have are SCARED to death that I might not EARN my measly little $15/day.

For instance, mom doesn't work but a few days a week, and sometimes not at all. The child is with me at least 8 hours every single day while mom stays home. I really resent this and I do not charge for holidays like everyone else does. I just wish she would give me a little break once every few months, but she won't. They live right down the road from me and the older brother is sick and I have had the little one from 8 am to 4:30 both days that he is sick. I just know that when I worked and had to take mine to the babysitter, I would keep both of mine if one was sick, especially since the babysitter had her own children, I mean it was kind of just being courteous to the babysitter. I feel sorry for the little one because it seems brother spends lots of time with mom and dad and little brother is just with us all the time . I am having trouble getting new clients but if I could find another family, I would like to just keep theirs by the day because they are not fun to keep, I mean, they do NOTHING for themselves. It is like caring for 2 babies and they are 2 and 4.

I just needed a vent, thanks for listening.
Unregistered 07:44 AM 09-01-2009
I feel your pain and frustration. I really do! I would advertise, advertise, advertise and move them to a daily contract as soon as you find someone else like you said. Tell them you wish to move them to a part-time contract for the days they are working.
sweetcinna 02:48 PM 09-01-2009
I feel ya!! When i first started daycaring, i was open 6 days a week, 24 hours a day. Well after the first year i stopped doing the 24 hours a day cause i only had one family that needed care until 10pm and on Sat., they only had one child and she was no problem at all. And they weren't kidding either.......It was every Sat and about 3 nights a week until 10pm. Still i had no problem with this at all. So about the year and half mark, mom lets me know that she is pregant! Well of course I'm thinking this is great! Baby comes and now instead of just having one child every single Sat. and until 10pm, it is now two children. But ya know, that was OK with me, they are great children, i never have any fuss with them at all. I was getting a lil burned out on the Sat thing now that their were two children now, it just kinda tied me to the house, I couldn't really get out and play with my family. But i never said a thing! I figured this is what i signed up for and i will just grin and bear it. Well mom comes in one day telling me she has to go on a bussiness trip and Dad will be picking them up on on Friday and bringing them Sat. and also picking them up early on Sat(cause they always stayed until 10pm on Sat.) cause he has a set schedule and gets off work on Sat. at 5pm! I asked her how long has he had this "set schdule" she proceeded to inform me that is the way its always been! I was floored!! Here i was keeping these two children for the past 2 1/2years, every single Sat. that i can remember until 10pm, and Dad had been sitting at home! Well needless to say 2 months later i quit the Sat. altogether. I really felt like i was taken advantage of and used!
mrs.meg 06:27 AM 09-02-2009
Thanks you 2, it makes me feel better to know that I am not a bad person. I wish I enjoyed these little boys more, but they are lots of work and I feel that I do earn every penny that I am paid. People just do not understand!
Chickenhauler 10:17 PM 09-06-2009
This is the scenario that you set yourself up for when you offer a set rate for the week, day, etc. If you're going to charge for it, people are going to use that time if they're paying for it.

We have parents who ask "Would it be all right if I did my grocery shopping on the way home from work?" Well, they're paying by the hour, and as long as it doesn't interfere with our schedule, sure.
mac60 07:04 AM 09-07-2009
I have weekly rates. I base my weekly rate on the hours you say you need at the interview. If you work from 7 to 3, then your rate will be figured for those hours, plus commute times. Because I have a weekly rate and am open from 6:30 to 5, does not mean I want your child for 10 1/2 hours for a measly $16 per day, and I make it clear that your rate is based on hours you agreed on, and if you go over, there will be additional fees. I am offering my services while you are at work, and if the parent decides to expand those service for their day to day activities, then they are going to have to pay for it.
mrs.meg 04:00 PM 09-08-2009
good idea mac60
Reply Up