Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Quick Response!
MNMum 09:31 AM 04-30-2013
6 mo old. Shots yesterday. Today fussy, no nap, 1100 - temp 100.6 Dad is on his way to pick him up. Would you enforce the 24 hour fever policy?

I will advise them to schedule shots on Thurs or Friday from now on (I'm closed on Fridays).
ABCDaycareMN 09:33 AM 04-30-2013
Yes, I would stick to my policies.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 04-30-2013
Actually in MN the rules state that they MUST be fever free for a FULL 24 hours before they can attend care.

Doesn't matter why they have a fever.

A fever is a fever, regardless of cause.
daycare 09:36 AM 04-30-2013
Yes. Like black cat taught me

We don't need to under stand why or what is causing the symptoms, we need to exclude for the symptoms when they appear.

Child shouldn't return as stated in your policies.
Cradle2crayons 09:37 AM 04-30-2013
I wouldn't, but I have a different policy on fever after shots. But if that's in your policy, yes, enforce it. My policy is specific about issues after shots though.
Brooksie 09:38 AM 04-30-2013
Stick to your policies! Also, advising them to schedule shots so that a possible reaction doesn't interfere with his care was a good idea. It shows them that you're thinking ahead and even though you have to enforce your policy you aren't trying to inconvenience any one.
Blackcat31 10:36 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I wouldn't, but I have a different policy on fever after shots. But if that's in your policy, yes, enforce it. My policy is specific about issues after shots though.
I understand about having a different policy for immunizations but there is NO way you know without a doubt that the fever is caused by the immunizations.

As a parent, I would be upset that my child may have been exposed to something unnecessarily.

I suppose if all your parents know this policy then it is what it is. To each his/her own.
Cradle2crayons 10:43 AM 04-30-2013
I've only seen one child that never had a fever after shots and that's my son. He never had a post shot fever and never even with teething.. But considering that fever is listed on all the vax side effect papers, I expect it. Of course, I don't generally keep kids young enough that I haven't seen them already get a round or two and know what they are going to do. As my pedi says, kids run fevers, sometimes nothing else ever comes from it, sometimes it does. But yes, to each their own. My policies are a little different than most.
mema 10:49 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Yes, I would stick to my policies.

Reply Up