Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anybody Else Paranoid With Infants?
BumbleBee 07:51 AM 08-20-2013
I have a new one, almost 4 months old. Just put dck down for a nap (went to sleep beautifully!) 20 min ago. In a sleep sack, tight fitted sheet, no gaps, pacifier, no strings/hair ties/etc. Yet I've been in there 5 times already to make sure dck is breathing & ok. Dck can hold their head up, almost rolling over both ways, and holds themself up on their arms while doing tummy time.

So WHY am I so flippin paranoid? Is this normal?
MamaBearCanada 07:54 AM 08-20-2013
I don't know if it's normal but I'm the same way! I am even like that with older kids if they are sleeping very heavily but quietly or after they have had breathing problems due to an illness. It stresses me out.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 08-20-2013
I started a newbie (6 weeks) in July.

I termed last Friday for the same reason's you mentioned.... I can't deal with the stress and the worrisome feeling I have while they are in attendance.
mema 08:03 AM 08-20-2013
I think it's normal. I do the same thing. In and out a million times.
tenderhearts 08:17 AM 08-20-2013
I agree I think it's normal because I do the same thing. I even check on my older nappers about every 15 min.
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 08-20-2013
Perfectly normal.

Poke the baby....

It is such a short phase lasting less than 210 daycare days, total....

You can do it...
preschoolteacher 08:32 AM 08-20-2013
It's why I have decided not to take any daycare kids younger than crawling age. There's too much stress--and worry. I feel for you! You're doing all the right things!
Lyss 08:40 AM 08-20-2013
I've got a 4 month old now (had her since 4weeks) and I'm in there checking every 5-7 mins plus I have a monitor

I'm debating terming this one because she's steadily become a 24/7 screamer because mom never puts her down. The stress of that is just to much plus dealing with my older crew. I really don't want to term as I LOVE this family, but I may have to
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I've got a 4 month old now (had her since 4weeks) and I'm in there checking every 5-7 mins plus I have a monitor

I'm debating terming this one because she's steadily become a 24/7 screamer because mom never puts her down. The stress of that is just to much plus dealing with my older crew. I really don't want to term as I LOVE this family, but I may have to
This is where I am at too....LOVE mom/family/DCK but it is soooo much work. My DCM also holds more than she should and although it isn't a huge deal (....yet) it is going to be.

I have just come to the reality that I am going to be unable to do anything with the older ones if the baby is in care.

I did tell mom that she can re-enroll when child is 12 months if she wants.

I considered (over and over) that I could make do these next 8 months, but I think more than not being "ABLE" to, I find that I am not "WANTING" to.

It feels horrible, but I am smart enough to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
Heidi 08:49 AM 08-20-2013
Well, one good thing about my newest one; since he screams bloody murder most every waking minute, I know he's breathing...
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 08-20-2013
These are the infants that I have to let go.....

If parents won't help prepare them for childcare, I can't be expected to either.
Attached: Is-Attachment-Parenting-Ruining-Your-LIfe.jpg (74.2 KB) 
MyAngels 08:53 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Perfectly normal.

Poke the baby....

It is such a short phase lasting less than 210 daycare days, total....

You can do it...

BumbleBee 09:14 AM 08-20-2013
Ok good...I'm not a freak :-)

Even though this is a first time mom, she has done everything she can to prepare for care. Breastfed but on the bottle, sleeps in a crib w/a sleep sack, tight fitting sheet, paci, LOTS of floor time, puts baby down awake, etc etc.
Angelsj 09:18 AM 08-20-2013
Exactly why I wear littles and only take one under a year at a time.
I feel your pain. Too stressful for me to leave them in a PNP.
Heidi 09:31 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
These are the infants that I have to let go.....

If parents won't help prepare them for childcare, I can't be expected to either.
Mom is not AP...he's just a stinker. Only 8 weeks old, though, and possibly has reflux. We are waiting to see if the meds kick in (Day 6). If not reflux, I go back to my stinker statement.

Well, crying peaks at 6-8 weeks, so we should be at the top of the mountain now.
e.j. 11:50 AM 08-20-2013
I'd vote for normal, too. I have a 6mo old who is sleeping right next to me as I type. I check her breathing every few minutes just to make sure. I think all the SIDS training and state regulations have made me overly paranoid.
Cat Herder 11:57 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Mom is not AP...he's just a stinker. :
Sorry. I was referring to the infant in the photo I posted. The rager....

I tried a few times to work with that, it was never worth it for the group as a whole, though....
BumbleBee 12:01 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'd vote for normal, too. I have a 6mo old who is sleeping right next to me as I type. I check her breathing every few minutes just to make sure. I think all the SIDS training and state regulations have made me overly paranoid.
Just out of curiosity, what is your lo sleeping in?
LK5kids 12:27 PM 08-20-2013
I still check on my little one here and he is 8 mo now.

When he was 3-4 mo I tried to check every 5-10 min because he has acid reflux and had trouble gagging! He has a snooza alarm and it gave me piece of mind. I still checked him!

I have no plans to ever take a child under 10 mo or even better a year ever again!
Willow 12:36 PM 08-20-2013
Angelcare monitors have preserved my sanity. I just picked up another one, brand new off eBay for $35 just last week. They have a pad that sits under the mattress, an alarm sounds if they stop breathing. I have a total of three now.

It's definitely been worth the investment
BumbleBee 12:38 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Angelcare monitors have preserved my sanity. I just picked up another one, brand new off eBay for $35. They have a pad that sits under the mattress, an alarm sounds if they stop breathing. I have a total of three now.

It's definitely been worth the investment
My mom laughed at me when I almost bought one at the store last week. I have an even littler one starting in Feb (6 weeks) and definately want it for him.
Willow 12:41 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
My mom laughed at me when I almost bought one at the store last week. I have an even littler one starting in Feb (6 weeks) and definately want it for him.
I'm telling you - eBay!!!

You can find brand new units for a fraction of retail cost!
e.j. 02:41 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Just out of curiosity, what is your lo sleeping in?
Sorry I didn't see this until now. She sleeps in a pack-n-play. I have 2 french doors that lead into the room where the kids nap so it's a wide doorway. My computer is just on the other side of the threshold to that room so I can place the pnp right next to me and watch her as well as see into the room and see the other kids, too.
Leanna 04:15 PM 08-20-2013
Yup, totally paranoid! I started a new 5 month old DCG last week. Thus far she won't let me put her down when she falls asleep but I have one pack n' play upstairs in the living room and another in the playroom...they never sleep out of my sight and I am still constantly checking on them! All my little ones learn to sleep with some background noise (if you can call the rest of us talking and laughing and singing that )

When I first opened I used to have the pack n' plays in my bedroom (with a monitor) but I decided that I would feel better if they were always in my sight.
Unregistered 06:16 PM 08-21-2013
I love having infants! But when I have them I have severe anxiety all day until they leave!!! The last time I had an infant I had them sleep in the same room as me (living room) so they were always near me and I could watch to make sure nothing happened. Most of the time SIDS happens because someone does something wrong, putting baby on tummy, blankets exc. but can still happen when we do everything right. It is extremely scary. I stopped taking babies 2 years ago. The stress was too much for me!
Tags:infants, infants - safe environment, sids
Reply Up