Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Feel Bad
lil angels 05:47 AM 01-26-2011
I sent someone home yesterday with a temp of 101.3 my husband even saw it. She has some big sore in her mouth that looks like a canker sore but it goes from he middle of her front teeth almost to her cheek. She was home on monday and mom said she took her to the doctor and had nothing. So this morning she came in and said she took it when she got home and it was normal. She has a speech at school today she can not miss so she is taking her to school with her. So now I am sitting here getting sick to my stomach and feel bad about it. They are normally the family that brings illnesses in because they will medicate in the morning and then right about the end of nap they will get ill. I can't prove it but how does that keep happening. And when one child is sick they will bring the other and then it seems they end up getting sick here. Then my family and other kids end up sick. I am wondering should I have stood my ground on this when she walked in here this morning? It has been an hour since she left and that is all I am thinking about.
Lilbutterflie 05:59 AM 01-26-2011
So, if I understand correctly, dcg got sent home with fever yesterday and dcm showed up at your door this morning (HOW RUDE BTW); but you sent them away. And you feel guilty.

Well DON'T!! You have every right to enforce your illness policy, and it's great that you did!! I think it's normal to feel guilty, I sent a dcg home with a high fever of 102.3, and her mom told me she was going to pick her up and take her back to work with her. I felt horrible sending her home just so she could be miserable at her mom's work; but I did not make the decision to do that, her MOM did! Same thing for you, it's mom's choice to make her daughter go to school with her, not yours. There are always other options, she could have missed her speach, asked a family member or a friend to watch, or asked the father to stay with her. If those options didn't work for whatever reason, it's still not your fault. It's your job to enforce your illness policy, for yourself, your family, and the other daycare kids. You did the right thing!
lil angels 06:54 AM 01-26-2011
Yes her dad is out of town for work and they have no family in the area. She said her temp was normal when she got home is what is making me mad. Is she lying or telling the truth. But me and my husband saw the thermometer and it said 100.3 and you are to add a degree when taken under the arm. I have been doing this for almost 11yrs and wow these people know how to make you feel horrible.
DCMomOf3 07:05 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
and wow these people know how to make you feel horrible.
I know, it's sad too that we let them.
marniewon 07:42 AM 01-26-2011
She must be lying. Easy to do. If you both saw it read as above 100, there is no way it went down that quickly with no meds! Do not feel guilty. That's what mom wants you to feel.
nannyde 07:47 AM 01-26-2011
whenever you take temps and they are at or above your cut off.. photograph the thermometer and if possible send it over the phone to their phone. If not, email it to them.

I take TWO temps. One with a digital and one with a glass. I photograph BOTH and send. I have even videotaped the taking of the temp and shown the thermometer to the camera (phone) before I took it... while I took it... and the result. Sending it gives a time stamp to it also.

Works 100 percent of the time. NO discussions of fever.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
whenever you take temps and they are at or above your cut off.. photograph the thermometer and if possible send it over the phone to their phone. If not, email it to them.

I take TWO temps. One with a digital and one with a glass. I photograph BOTH and send. I have even videotaped the taking of the temp and shown the thermometer to the camera (phone) before I took it... while I took it... and the result. Sending it gives a time stamp to it also.

Works 100 percent of the time. NO discussions of fever.
Nice. I think I will be using my camera alot more now..... I always hear, "They were fine when they got home...I took it when we got home and there was no temp"
nannyde 08:04 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nice. I think I will be using my camera alot more now..... I always hear, "They were fine when they got home...I took it when we got home and there was no temp"
Yes that is just WORDS and WORDS can get your sick kid into day care the next day.

Believe me.. I have used the photographing and video on my phone for many health related things. I've been known to photograph the puke zone, photographed the goopy eyes before cleaning... and I save any diarrhea diapers to show at pick up.

The more that you have on tape and have proof the less words you get to make it go away.
lil angels 08:46 AM 01-26-2011
wow that is pretty good I never would have thought to take a pic of it but then I would have a hard time saying here look at this. Like I am accusing them that they think I am lying. I grabbed the thermometer this morning and it still read the temp and I wish that I would have showed that to her. I have a feeling she would have told me mine was broke or something like that.
nannyde 09:43 AM 01-26-2011
wow that is pretty good I never would have thought to take a pic of it but then I would have a hard time saying here look at this. Like I am accusing them that they think I am lying. I grabbed the thermometer this morning and it still read the temp and I wish that I would have showed that to her. I have a feeling she would have told me mine was broke or something like that.

No accusation.

Just the facts.

I use TWO thermometers when I do this and send both pics to their phone.

Subject line: Little Johnny has a temp.

in message: please confirm you received this. I'll be calling you in a few if I don't hear back.
lvt77 10:31 AM 01-26-2011
I sent someone home yesterday with a temp of 101.3 my husband even saw it. She has some big sore in her mouth that looks like a canker sore but it goes from he middle of her front teeth almost to her cheek. She was home on monday and mom said she took her to the doctor and had nothing. So this morning she came in and said she took it when she got home and it was normal. She has a speech at school today she can not miss so she is taking her to school with her. So now I am sitting here getting sick to my stomach and feel bad about it. They are normally the family that brings illnesses in because they will medicate in the morning and then right about the end of nap they will get ill. I can't prove it but how does that keep happening. And when one child is sick they will bring the other and then it seems they end up getting sick here. Then my family and other kids end up sick. I am wondering should I have stood my ground on this when she walked in here this morning? It has been an hour since she left and that is all I am thinking about.
I would not feel bad at all, you are just doing your job. You have other children in care to protect sending her home was the right thing....However, I know most people on here have it in their contract that you cannot return to care for 24 hours after being sent home with a fever...
I had an issue where parents had to pick up DCB early, cause of fever. They picked up took home and said he does not have a fever, you're crazy.

From then on out, I would keep the temp reading in my thermometer and show it to them at pick up, have them sign a form, (exclusion form due to illness) and let them know child cannot return for 24 hours.
One DCM made me take the temp again and I said sure no problem, but if you don't trust me, then why is your child here?
She said never mind..
lil angels 06:46 AM 01-27-2011
Hay that mom I started this thread over didn't come again today she brought her son and said there is something wrong with her daughter she can't figure it out so she is going to keep her home today again. But of course there was not a oh maybe you were right she was sick. I am so glad for myself that I did what I should and it worked out for me. Go with your gut I guess.
Mrs.Ky 08:43 AM 01-27-2011
Lil Angels what does this sore look like in girls mouth? It could be a boil that has gotten infected boils look like canker sores or pimples. I had one before on my chin it got infected and I had celulitis in my face and had temp of 104 had to be in hosptial a week its a serious infection someone can die from might wanna suggest Mom take girl back to docs and have him take a sample of the bump on her mouth. keep us posted about little girl.
lil angels 10:32 AM 01-27-2011
mom took her back in and the doc said canker sore again they can be brought on by having the fever I guess. That is what she told me today.
MARSTELAC 04:40 AM 02-24-2011
Sick (no pun intended) and tired of people bringing their sick kids here! Then I call to have them picked up and parents tell me they were fine since they got home. What the heck....
dEHmom 05:29 AM 02-24-2011
could it be something like rubella?

I have a little guy starting full time in a few weeks. His mom was going to start bringing him a few days each week and build up until he starts full time, because she's struggling with being away from him.

He was supposed to start today, but he's been feverish last 2 days, and broke out in a rash all over. She's trying to get him to a doctor today, so he can start tomorrow if he's not contagious. Hopefully they get in this morning, cause I was excited to have him start this week!
momatheart 05:38 AM 02-24-2011
I hear this from parents all the time. You could have told her OK when such and such time comes around lets say it was noon when she picked up you can say OK at noon today you may bring her it has been 24 hours since her last fever see you then.
Tags:canker sore, sickness
Reply Up