Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play Yard/ Infant Play Spaces
Lilbutterflie 06:49 AM 05-22-2011
I am in the market for a giant play yard for infants. I'm transitioning from a group of all preschoolers to a mixed group of infants and preschoolers.

Here's the ones I'm thinking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Plaype...6069754&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Toys-...6069754&sr=1-1

I like the above two because they have built in toy walls and they have a gate for easy access. The only downfall is we also have lots of outdoor play time and I don't think it would be easy to take it down and transport outside.

OR I could go the traditional super yard route and get this with the extension kit:

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...6072221&sr=1-1

What do you all have for infant play spaces and what do you recommend?
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 05-22-2011
I don't have a barrier around my infants at all. I only place the infant on a blanket big enough to allow play for all immobile infants (if only 1 baby then only a small blanket is used, if more immobile babies then a bigger blanket is used) and I supervise close to the infants. The other kids all know that they are not allowed to play on the baby blanket and that the blanket represents their space. They also know not to play with the infant toys. If I have to prepare lunch, change a diaper or whatever else that would involve me not being able to be near the babies on the blanket then I put them in a swing. The other kids know not to mess with the babies when they are in the swings too.
kidkair 07:38 AM 05-22-2011
My infants just play in the same space as the other kids. The older kids learn to be careful of the infant and little kids. All toys are safe for the youngest child here. Outside is the same thing. I let the families know that their kid will eat sand and leaves though I do my best to prevent it. Non mobile infants are on blankets with toys inside and out and older kids are not allowed on the blanket. It works for me.
blueclouds29 07:45 AM 05-22-2011
I am also looking for a giant yard too! I have a small infant who just started crawling. My other kids are toddlers 2 years and younger. They are all boys so they are rough so i was looking for something to seperate them from the baby. Plus in Jan i'm going to be getting a newborn. I want this just to use as a wall type of thing. In my living room to keep out the toddlers. Its a work in progress.
nannyde 08:10 AM 05-22-2011
Definitely reccomend the superyard because of it's depth. The other play yards I have looked at are VERY shallow. They will only work for a small window of time and because they are so brightly colored you can have a big problem with the older kids wanting to use it as a climber and a toy. It DRAWS the older kids to it.

The view they give in the pictures is very distorted. It looks like it will accomodate older babies but look at the actual dimensions and pay particular attention to the LOWEST point of the top rail. THAT is your actual depth.

I don't mix infants in with the older kids until they are walking well. I don't give the older kids access to them or the equipment I use for them.
NavyWife 08:37 AM 05-22-2011
I don't have infants right now, but I recently purchased the Super Yard for a litter of puppies, and it works really well for what I'm using it for. The sides are tall enough that my two monkey children can't climb into it or reach in to get a puppy out, but, it is pretty light and both my kids and the mama dog can lift it up.

When my mom had her daycare, she had an awesome play yard..but I can't remember who made it. It was really sturdy and had all the activities on the inside walls, it was just a pita to put together/ take apart.
MamaBear 08:53 AM 05-22-2011
I got the Playzone play yard and I love it. I have 6 sides for it along with the door area. I use it sometimes with just 4 sides if just one infant is here and if everyone is here, then I open it up and use it as a barrier to block the livingroom area off so the 2 babies I have cant crawl out of that room.

Some people dont like them, but I love it. Works great for my set up
MN Day Mom 10:58 AM 05-22-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I am in the market for a giant play yard for infants. I'm transitioning from a group of all preschoolers to a mixed group of infants and preschoolers.

Here's the ones I'm thinking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Plaype...6069754&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Toys-...6069754&sr=1-1

I like the above two because they have built in toy walls and they have a gate for easy access. The only downfall is we also have lots of outdoor play time and I don't think it would be easy to take it down and transport outside.

OR I could go the traditional super yard route and get this with the extension kit:

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...6072221&sr=1-1

What do you all have for infant play spaces and what do you recommend?

I have two of these. I have the Friendly toys one inside... I have two extra panels for it and two little ones can play in it together very comfortably. Its plenty tall for little ones.... I've had kids use it up to 20 months without any issue and the bigger kids have yet to attempt to climb on it. I also have the North States one, again with extra panels to make it more roomy... I have this one set up outside on the playground with a mat under it. Love them both.
Lilbutterflie 11:14 AM 05-22-2011
Thanks everyone! I am leaning towards the North States Superyard; b/c it's $20 off on Amazon right now; and I can transport it easily b/w indoor/outdoor. Plus, like NannyDe stated; I think with the Friendly Toys Playzone the older ones will want to play in it which defeats part of the purpose for it.
Abigail 02:17 PM 05-22-2011
I was looking online at this once I saw this thread. I notice that if you compare the Summer Infant Secure Surround Play Safe Play Yard to the North States Superyard Classic XT Gate Play Yard they are both white and look very similiar where you can attach toys since it's just the gate, but the Summer brand is taller.

Summer Infant Secure Surround Play Safe Play Yard
Product Features:$59.99 on Amazon (on sale)
Extra tall panels 30"
Walk through door with handle
Exceptional design, comfort, safety and educational value
Neutral colors blend with home decor
6 durable plastic panels included
North States Superyard Classic XT Gate Play Yard
Product Features: $50.98 on Amazon (on sale)
26" high,convenient carrying strap included
6 panels, hexagonal shapeCan be used indoors or outdoors
Sets up in seconds
Lightweight and portable

sherylopez 11:16 PM 06-27-2011
I think you’ll like the one I’m looking at right now for my kids. The play yard is a simple design with a gate height of 26 inches and the area can be extended from 18.5 sq.ft. to 34.4 sq. ft. I like play yards too since you can be sure you’re kids are in a safe enclosed environment.
Maddy'sMommy 03:26 AM 06-28-2011
I have a Elfe Superyard XT, which I bought at Toys R Us, and it works great for my 8 month old daughter. It's too tall for her to climb out of, but it's sturdy enough that she can pull herself up to stand. You can buy an extension kit to make it better, but it's fine for one kid without it.
mac60 03:36 AM 06-28-2011
While the Superyard is taller, it is not easy to fold up and move. I have one. I also have the Little Playzone Sights and Sounds, which I love. Easily taken up and down. I tend to use the Superyard when I transition from pnk to floor (I take 2 panels out and make it a square), or use it outside, but it is not that easy to fold up or down.
My Daycare 05:33 AM 06-28-2011
At Walmart, the Superyard is $50 and the Superyard with the extension kit is $69.

I bought 2 of the ones that include the extension, and they work great. However, I haven't had to move them yet.
e.j. 11:57 AM 06-28-2011
I have the Superyard and like it. As has already been mentioned, it's high enough that the babies can't easily climb over it. I think it's fairly easy to fold up and put away when I don't need it. I usually use it inside but can easily bring it outside if I feel I need it to keep a younger child safe while I'm busy with the older kids. Also, I use mine for both the babies and older kids. (The older kids will often ask me to put the play yard up so they can get away from the younger kids who are bothering them.)
SunshineMama 10:44 AM 07-08-2013
What is the maximum age you would allow an infant to be in a playyard? I have the superyard, and a mixed age group, so I need a separate place to keep the you get one's safe when I need to take another to the bathroom, etc.
LoraJenkins 11:20 AM 07-08-2013
I have the Friendly play zone and LOVE it. I have never taken it outside though so I cannot say how easy it would be. You pretty much would have to take it apart & reassemble it outside.
Cradle2crayons 11:46 PM 07-08-2013
I don't have a super yard or anything like that to separate the younger ones.

In my living room, in the big rectangle area separated by my two big couches, is a blanket where my special dcg who is immobile can play.

All of the older kids know they aren't allowed in that area and they go nowhere near her area. Since its out of the way, they would have no need to pass by her or go near her for any reason.

They can SEE her and she can SEE them and everybody else though so she isn't isolated.

I have to be sure they stay away from her so they won't mess with her j tube feeding line etc. she has piles of toys over in her spot and she can see me in the kitchen or in any other area.
Tags:infant care, infants, play yard, play yard - infants
Reply Up