Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies That Don't Play Well Together
cheerfuldom 12:36 PM 07-08-2011
current dilemma: I have a 10 month old DCG and an 8 month old DCG. The 10 month old is very independent, super easy when she is up and roaming with the big kids. She is full time and the next older child is almost 2. Shes crawling, cruising and almost standing on her own. The 8 month old is sitting up and trying to crawl. The problem is that the 10 month old is typical baby, wanting to crawl over the 8 month old, pat her on the head, shake toys at her and whatnot. The 8 month old is part time. She wants attention from the others but then cries if they get too close or too rough (which isn't really rough, like I mentioned, just a pat on the head or something small like that). Should I try and keep the babies apart or not? The thing is that the 8 month old wiggles over to the 10 month old and then cries when she is touched or anything. Its like she is baiting the kids just for something to cry about. Now this is not constant but its there and I would like to nip it in the bud. Any ideas? I prefer to keep the babies out of the excersaucer/jumper/etc but I do have those things as options. I really hate to keep kids separated but I wanted to see if you all thought I should do something or just sort of wait it out.
MarinaVanessa 01:03 PM 07-08-2011
Unless you are right there next to the babies and are able to stop them if one gets too close to the other then I don't think that you should have them together. I doubt that the 8mo is "baiting" the older baby. 8mo's are curious and the baby probably just wants to see what's going on but doesnt want to be touched by any of the kids. KWIM?

Everything is different in the view of a baby. What was fun and exciting to watch from close up might make them nervous and seem scary once the interactions are turned to them and all of a sudden they are now a part of the action instead of just a bystander.

The baby is pretty much saying "hey, I like that ... But don't get too close to me" and is telling you and the other kids what he/she is and isn't comfortable with. By your post this baby seems not to like being touched but wants to see. My own 7mo is like this. He wants to be up front and close to the action but doesn't want the kids to touch him, however he wants to reach out and touch some of the kids sometimes. I respect it both ways though, I ask the other child if my baby can touch him/her if I see him reach out and I always say"gentle" to teach my baby to be careful. When another child asks if they can touch my baby and play with him I do the same and watch for cues that my baby isn't comfortable with it anymore.

Remember, babies are just learning and they are people too with their own feelings, likes and emotions ... they're just a lot shorter than the others lol
Gurdy 01:18 PM 07-08-2011
I would stay on the floor with the 8 mo old at all times if larger children are around. If I had to get up I would put the 8 mo old in the exersaucer or other baby equipment.
Cat Herder 02:00 PM 07-08-2011
I don't put my infants into the mixed group.

Infants have their own individual playrooms (railing type half walls) until they are walking well enough to function in a group.

IMHO, it is the only way to keep them safe from clumsy (and occasionally overzealous) toddlers and other drooling, hair pulling, toy snatching infants while still allowing them free range to explore, play and get plenty of exercise.
Maddy'sMommy 05:45 PM 07-09-2011
I have an 8 month old, and a 10 month old as well, and I am on the floor with them to get in the middle. They don't mean to be rough, but they are trying to play. The want to touch each other, and throw toys, etc. The 10 month old is also showing signs of wanting to bite, so I am in their face. lol.
nannyde 06:13 PM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I don't put my infants into the mixed group.

Infants have their own individual playrooms (railing type half walls) until they are walking well enough to function in a group.

IMHO, it is the only way to keep them safe from clumsy (and occasionally overzealous) toddlers and other drooling, hair pulling, toy snatching infants while still allowing them free range to explore, play and get plenty of exercise.
Yes we have individual play yards for all the infants. Once they are up walking around well and steadily then they go into play with the one to two year olds. We make the transition slowly over weeks so they learn the rules of play.

When the big kids are eating or at the table for play then the babies have the floor to themselves. We also have the bouncy seats for them when they tucker out from crawling.
Tags:infant - behavior, infant - safety, infant care, separate areas
Reply Up