Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Decided To Try CIO With One Of My DCK's
beachgrl 10:27 AM 09-21-2011
I have a 15 mo old who from what I can tell is used to someone holding him to go to sleep and he has to be really tired in order to rock him and then be able to lay him down and even then he sleeps an hour if I am lucky but when he wakes up and sees he is not being held he cries pitifully and I usually get him and sit in the recliner and rock him and he crashes right back out if I even have to rock, sometimes he just lays his head back down on my shoulder as soon as he is picked up. Mom said he was really tired and fighting it so hadn't had a nap yet so when it came nap time, I decided to try laying him down and seeing what he did. He will usually sleep 1.5-2 hours but always wakes up before 1 hour is up with the exception of one day he stayed up for a while past our regular rest time because it was just him and I wanted him to be able to rest well.

I only have two right now and I worried about him disturbing the other dcb who goes right to sleep and who I have to wake up or he would sleep right on and on. I had the other dcb lay down on his mat in the playroom and put on our rest time music, then laid the 15 mo old down in the pack and play which of course he got the pouter lip and started to get upset. I just said, you are okay night night, its rest time, see you in a little while, smiled and walked away. He whined and stuff a little bit for a few minutes before he went into all out scream mode. It was so hard to listen to him cry but now he is all crashed out and maybe I can get some schoolwork done while they nap, I hope he is able to rest his full rest time today. It didn't take him too long to fall asleep though so that was good event though it was a few min of heart wrenching crying it seems to have worked!
laundrymom 10:43 AM 09-21-2011
Yippee! Enjoy evEry moment
MARSTELAC 11:42 AM 09-21-2011
At what age can you start CIO? Thanks!
beachgrl 11:50 AM 09-21-2011
I would think around 10 months or so would be ideal but even with the 15 month old I was feeling bad but he is still asleep, woke up once and I just said, shhhh, night night and he was right back out...such a nice rest time we are having today, hope it's not a fluke lol
beachgrl 11:50 AM 09-21-2011
I will say that some people would say earlier/later just depends on baby and their needs
MARSTELAC 11:53 AM 09-21-2011
thanks... i want to start with a 5 moth old....too young? i cant find anything on the web
littlemissmuffet 12:00 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
thanks... i want to start with a 5 moth old....too young? i cant find anything on the web
I personally feel that 5 months is way too young. I start around 9-10 months.
beachgrl 12:07 PM 09-21-2011
Well I saw that the guy who developed the method says it can start to be done at 4-6 months but I just think that is way too early personally..
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Well I saw that the guy who developed the method says it can start to be done at 4-6 months but I just think that is way too early personally..
Forgive me if this is a bit off topic but, is there really a guy who is taking credit for letting your baby cry it out?
daycare 12:58 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Forgive me if this is a bit off topic but, is there really a guy who is taking credit for letting your baby cry it out?
lol.............sorry I fell out of my chair when I read this.....funny
Nellie 06:28 PM 09-21-2011
How long do you let a child CIO. I get nervous letting them cry more than a 1/2 hour. I have a 15 month who co-sleeps and nurses at night and has always been held for naps. I finally have gotten him to go down, but he only sleeps for 45 to 60 mins and wakes up sooo tired. All he does is cry after nap. I try putting him down again, but he has the fight after alittle nap to cry for over a 1/2 hour. I had to do this with my own children. Had a stubborn one that cried for 3 hours strait when I broke him from holding him at night and naps. It took over 2 weeks of this. I hated it, but it had to be done. But this isn't my child. How long should you let them cry?
beachgrl 07:16 PM 09-21-2011
Well when I looked it up bc I saw it discussed on here quite a bit, it came up under a guy named feiber I think, he doesnt call the method that but it is basically the same thing as what people now call CIO..lol
beachgrl 07:18 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
How long do you let a child CIO. I get nervous letting them cry more than a 1/2 hour. I have a 15 month who co-sleeps and nurses at night and has always been held for naps. I finally have gotten him to go down, but he only sleeps for 45 to 60 mins and wakes up sooo tired. All he does is cry after nap. I try putting him down again, but he has the fight after alittle nap to cry for over a 1/2 hour. I had to do this with my own children. Had a stubborn one that cried for 3 hours strait when I broke him from holding him at night and naps. It took over 2 weeks of this. I hated it, but it had to be done. But this isn't my child. How long should you let them cry?
I am not sure, never really had to do that with mine...and I think my dcb did for 15-20 before he crashed
Tags:age appropriate - cio, cio
Reply Up