Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>On-time pick-up
MARSTELAC 06:05 AM 10-27-2011
I know this topic has been visited many, many times....but.....I've lost my backbone and need your advice.

I had a parent pick-up late this week...on a day they knew they had to be on time because I had a very important event to attend. I gave many reminders, even that morning. Then parent calls me 5 minutes before pick-up knowing they are going to be about 10 minutes late (but still within the grace period).

They asked how much they owed me....I was so ticked I said nothing. I didn't get an apology. The parent turned the conversation to them and how miserable their day was because they didn't get something they wanted. SELFISH, RUDE, INCONSIDERATE!

I am at wits' end. I have some changes coming down the pike but not for a while and I just need to get this off my back.

All of my other families were on time or early because they understood how important this was to me.

For future....should I tell this family that I will be closing even earlier? Can I do that to just one family?

This family has made us late for things (ie. dental appointments, sports events, school events, etc) and I have charged them because it was over the grace-period.

Ideas? I am not going to term them just yet because the income generated is great and like I said I do have some significant changes ahead but for now terming is not an option.

Thanks guys! (and gals lol).
ME
Cat Herder 06:22 AM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
(but still within the grace period).

For future....should I tell this family that I will be closing even earlier? Can I do that to just one family?

Ideas?
IMHO, The easiest solution would be to get rid of the grace period AND close 1 hour earlier than necessary for important events for all families.

It is like a free insurance policy. What could be better?
morgan24 06:33 AM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
IMHO, The easiest solution would be to get rid of the grace period AND close 1 hour earlier than necessary for important events for all families.

It is like a free insurance policy. What could be better?
I agree with this. I also like to take away their all about me attitude by putting them on the spot by saying something about them being late and now I'm late and how important my event is to me and sometimes I go on and on about it without letting them get a word in, it makes me feel better when I'm pi**ed because they are late.
MARSTELAC 06:37 AM 10-27-2011
i like that idea too but hate to make the others suffer ?????
Unregistered 06:42 AM 10-27-2011
All I can say is Im worse than you! I dont want the money for being late, I want them to pick up on time, especially when I have something to do or my kids have somewhere to be. An advantage to this job is that I do get to be with my kids, but they are always late for activities!

I can only offer do what I say not what I do, so stick to your contract and charge! what if you made your late fee something crazy like $s per minute.

Last night a parent called and said they would be here at like 620 and what did I say? OK! he asked if I had to get anywhere (just finished cheer/football season and was late everyday) I said no, see you then! (Im an idiot!) then he shows up like 10 minutes later at like 515 and says, oh my wife is going to go to the store later (or something like that) so does that mean he was going to be late because he wanted to go to the store????????????
Cat Herder 06:44 AM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
i like that idea too but hate to make the others suffer ?????
I think it is about perspective.

The extra hour is not about "making the others suffer".

It is about protecting YOUR family interests.

It also allows for issues with your own family like the car not starting, dd/ds "forgetting" to tell you that it was your turn to bring drinks for 400 people at the play, or something similar... (please tell me that I am not the only person that stuff happens to )

It is just practical planning to me.
mismatchedsocks 07:25 AM 10-27-2011
Or just tell the problem family they need to pick up by (give an hour earlier) and the other families stress how important it is they are on time. Thats what I would do. If the one family who has to pick up early finds out, be honest, tell them they were late last time.
Tags:late pickup
Reply Up