Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pet Peeves
blueclouds29 10:41 AM 11-10-2011
As a Daycare Provider what is your Pet peeve(s)?

I can't stand when the kids stand on my books... I think its silly but I just can't stand it!

i'm sure i have some more but that one i deal with everyday
Blackcat31 10:43 AM 11-10-2011
ask me on a different day and you will get different answer but today mine is:

wiping their noses on their sleeves. Ewww!
Lucy 10:44 AM 11-10-2011
Mine is when they mess up the craft drawers and also the drawers that have ziploc baggies of card games, dice games, memory games, etc. It's not like I'm a neat freak, but jeez, these kids stir it up like a cyclone!! They'll close a drawer, and pipe cleaners are sticking out of it in every direction. Can't they see that??? I know it's MY hangup, so I don't make a huge deal of it, but I at least TRY to get them to be neater!!
laundrymom 10:51 AM 11-10-2011
Mine is when if one gets in trouble for something, another will do it.

Or when parents put onsies on potty trained kids.

Or when socks do NOT stay on.
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 11-10-2011
Pet Peeves for today.....hmmm..

Kids: Smacking while eating.

Parents: "How much do I owe you this week?"
godiva83 10:58 AM 11-10-2011
I agree with the standing on Books- you can't tell me you didn't notice there is a giant hard cover boOk under your feet!!! Come on now. It also bugs me when books are not taken care of and pages are ripped- I don't care if your 8 if that happens back to fabric for you! Books are expensive and beautiful
wdmmom 10:59 AM 11-10-2011
Parents:

Showing up early, showing up late and not telling me, bringing in food/drink, bringing in toys, paying late, being inconsiderate, etc, etc, etc

Kids:

Misusing toys and telling me "No."

I could list many, many more....
graham.shellbell 11:08 AM 11-10-2011
Very very high pitched child that likes to scream(not cry..just scream!)Grates on my nerves something awful!!!!
sharlan 11:13 AM 11-10-2011
Today - it's throwing toys. A whole bucket of beads got thrown, as we were picking them up, he tosses them again...

He's taking a "think about it" moment in the other room. When "I'm" done thinking about it, we'll pick them up, have lunch, and go down for a nice long nap.
littlemommy 11:17 AM 11-10-2011
Today the whiny, mopey, bossy 4 year old has really been taking a toll on my patience level.

three year old that cant drink from a regular cup, tries and spills it ALL over. Won't talk to me, won't answer me, and they want to start potty training.
WImom 11:21 AM 11-10-2011
Telling me what so and so is doing or not doing when I'm right next to that child. Like I don't have ears and eyes!

Standing on books (or folding them if they aren't hardcover) drives me nuts too!
Christian Mother 11:29 AM 11-10-2011
Hmmm from every day to day it would be parents picking up late and even though I might get a text to let me know they'll be late having no ideal when they will arrive. Although I do get a late fee for late pick ups.

Today's pet peeve. Running in the house, chasing the puppy, tattling, my dd spilling her cup of juice that she spills repeatedly every single day, hiding in the curtains and spinning them around, that was just from today...lol!!
Meyou 11:38 AM 11-10-2011
Anyone putting feet on toys. It drives me nuts.
countrymom 12:23 PM 11-10-2011
today-its running, seriously how many times do I have to say NO RUNNING!!
spud912 12:49 PM 11-10-2011
I have a dcb who stands on books, throws them, and uses them as a "sled" to ride on our little indoor slide. Grrrr! Needless to say, he is banned from books or closely supervised if I am feeling generous.
Heidi 12:54 PM 11-10-2011
Toddlers who wake up screaming.... (see post on whatever happened to crib talk)

Parent who argue about scheduled day off payments, then, once paying it grudgingly, hand you another $150 and say "we thought you should get a Christmas bonus"...yes, that happened to me once. He was a professional poker player. I still see him on TV. no names..sorry

Ok, I'd LOVE to have that family again. So many delightful stories to tell, and they were actually a cool family
dEHmom 01:06 PM 11-10-2011
you got me started, you might not get me to stop....

1) sippy cups that drip
2) snot on my couch/chairs (I'd much rather it on their sleeves!)
3) whining
4) EVERY book/toy off the bookshelf and they dont' even look at them, just pull them off and drop them on floor
5) fighting/bickering
6) socks off and lost! I came to the conclusion the other day, and told the parents, that their kid is eating the socks. i ripped about the entire room, and can only find 1 sock. so they are watching his diaper for the next week for it to come out.
7) I have to agree that standing on books/toys is another big peeve
8) standing/jumping/climbing on couch
9) a poopy diaper RIGHT after I come in from taking out the days garbage (I can only tolerate the smell inside for so long, but I take out garbage after everyones done their daily doo.)
10) tattling
Country Kids 01:07 PM 11-10-2011
Everything!!!! Just behave and do what is expected and asked of you. This covers kids and parents.
queenbee 01:08 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Anyone putting feet on toys. It drives me nuts.
This was last weeks BIG, EXCITING new thing to try -- trying to fit thistle blocks between your toes.

So. Gross.

I'm not a feet person. My kids now know that if you put your feet on, in, around, or on top of any toys........

Me =
kayla 01:16 PM 11-10-2011
One of my biggest pet peeves is when children are not dressed for the weather. I will repeatedly ask parents please make sure they have jacket,mittens, and hats. They still dont dress there children properly, I even went as far as putting a note on my front door saying please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for th weather!! You think that changed anything, no! Also i have a child that when he did finally start coming with only a coat, mind you it snowed today, it came only to his elbows. I understand some people cant afford knew coats but i looked at the tag it said 24 mos. This child is 4 almost 5. Im sorry but if you can afford ciggarettes i think you can skip one day to go buy a coat that fits from the good will. ( I know they smoke beacause this child reaks of smoke everyday when he walks in...) Which is also another pet peeve beacause i quit smoking a year ago and am pregnant, thats the last thing i want to smell.
Kaddidle Care 01:45 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
This was last weeks BIG, EXCITING new thing to try -- trying to fit thistle blocks between your toes.

I'm sorry - that this just made me bust out laughing.

I'll say the 4 year old that turns his back on you (on purpose) when you're asking him to do something.

The child that is never told No at home and has a major hissy when you tell him.
sharlan 02:13 PM 11-10-2011
Nothing to do with kids, but adults.

The word is A C T U A L L Y, not ashually.

My mil used to say tea lynol for tylenol. Drove me crazy.
Country Kids 02:20 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Nothing to do with kids, but adults.

The word is A C T U A L L Y, not ashually.

My mil used to say tea lynol for tylenol. Drove me crazy.
Not to high jack but...........

warsh-wash

yella-yellow

axed-asked

and ya all-doesn't bother me at all if you are from the south but not if you were born and raised in the northwest part of the United States!
sharlan 02:26 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Not to high jack but...........

warsh-wash

yella-yellow

axed-asked

and ya all-doesn't bother me at all if you are from the south but not if you were born and raised in the northwest part of the United States!
Another one of my major pet peeves.
Michael 03:11 PM 11-10-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=pet+peeve
AfterSchoolMom 03:30 PM 11-10-2011
Parents who "forget" to pay, when payment is due on the same day at the same time, every week, every month, all year long.

Kids who shout, scream, screech, etc. when they're not bleeding or broken.

Parents who ignore their shouting, screaming, screeching children while in public. Drives. Me. Batty.
sharlan 06:01 PM 11-10-2011
Or the parent who pinches the underside of a child's arm when said child is screaming, screeching for no reason in a store.
AfterSchoolMom 06:12 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by :
Or the parent who pinches the underside of a child's arm when said child is screaming, screeching for no reason in a store.
Today 06:30 PM
When my oldest was little and I was a young, newer Mom, I tried the pinching thing in church once when he was misbehaving. I didn't do it very hard, but I thought it would be a subtle way to let him know that I meant business and to knock it off.

He just looked at me incredulously and started screaming "You piiiiiiinched meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!".

Needless to say, I learned the hard way that the pinching method does NOT work.
sharlan 06:16 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
When my oldest was little and I was a young, newer Mom, I tried the pinching thing in church once when he was misbehaving. I didn't do it very hard, but I thought it would be a subtle way to let him know that I meant business and to knock it off.

He just looked at me incredulously and started screaming "You piiiiiiinched meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!".

Needless to say, I learned the hard way that the pinching method does NOT work.
I saw it this weekend at IKEA. Now the screaming, screeching kid was flailing around on the floor screaming bloody murder.
mommiesherie 06:39 PM 11-10-2011
People who do not chew with their mouths closed!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg drives me insane!!!!!!!! Why do people not teach their kids this?? If your child is smacking their food and has no madders what so ever it tells me a lot about how you eat at home. I don't expect children to be perfect or have perfect table manners. We sure don't at our house by my goodness don't smack your food!!! Stresses me out just thinking about it!!!!!!!! Whew! Second is parents who allow children to do what ever they want when picking then up and just threaten them. Drives me insane I will just jump in now and correct them parent there or not. I have one child (my difficult hitter) who every day thinks he will play a game of chase me through the yard with his mom. I finally just got to where I pick him up at my door. He starts kicking and screaming and o carry him to his car seat and put him in. Not gonna happen anymore. Drives me insane!!
AnneCordelia 06:48 PM 11-10-2011
I truly appreciate it when people knock on my door. It is a peeve of mine when people think they can just walk right in. It's common courtesy to KNOCK prior to entering a home unless you've been specifically invited not too.
wdmmom 07:36 PM 11-10-2011
[quote=Country Kids;164856]
axed-asked

QUOTE]

OMG this makes me cringe!

If you are going to ax someone, you're seeking life in prison. If you ASK someone, you are seeking an answer.
misspollywog 07:48 PM 11-10-2011
People who allow their children to scream as if they are in distress just for fun of it. I NEVER allowed my kids to scream like these kids in my 'hood do and I certainly don't allow the dc kids to do it.

It isn't just one family, either. At least three of them let their kids do this and they will scream at the top of their lungs back and forth to each other while playing, sometimes for hours. Ugh.

The sad part is, if one of them were being abducted or was in real trouble, no one around here would bother to look because we've all become numb to it.
MARSTELAC 05:07 AM 11-11-2011
It bothers me to no end. Yes, I chew it. ALOT! (but not in front of the dcks) BUUUUTTTTT, when you have a big sign that reads "NO GUM" and a parent who has been here for years comes in and splits her ABC gum into 3 pieces so each of her kids can have some? I bite my tongue and cringe. Found some on my entryway floor yesterday and some stuck in the carpet near there as well. I am very happy!
Springdaze 06:13 AM 11-11-2011
The month of November. My kids dont go one week this month without anything from 2 half days to 3 days off! and thats not thanksgiving week!

anytime it would have to be taking the books out of the shelf so they can sit in it, climbing in the pack n play, and just now, being told someone did something wrong so many times when I try to ignore it that I have to "dont do that!" just so the tattler will be quiet! oh, and dumping bins so they can either find one little toy or to sit in it!
AnneCordelia 06:31 AM 11-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
It bothers me to no end. Yes, I chew it. ALOT! (but not in front of the dcks) BUUUUTTTTT, when you have a big sign that reads "NO GUM" and a parent who has been here for years comes in and splits her ABC gum into 3 pieces so each of her kids can have some? I bite my tongue and cringe. Found some on my entryway floor yesterday and some stuck in the carpet near there as well. I am very happy!
GROSS!!

Why do you bite your tongue? I'd be showing her the damage done to my home because of giving her children gum.
Michelle 06:40 AM 11-11-2011
when one of my 4 year olds takes a pacifier out of the babies mouth and sucks on it then tries to put it back in!!!! ( I drop everything I'm doing and stop her)
countrymom 06:41 AM 11-11-2011
4 yr olds with soothers hanging out of their mouths. We went to great wolf lodge (in ohio) for halloween and sure enough, I saw one with it hanging out of her mouth.
Luna 07:05 AM 11-11-2011
Stiff denim bluejeans with a fly & everything and a onesie on a +3yo & parents wondering why he doesn't use the potty. One day he showed up wearing suspenders because the stiff jeans just don't stay up very well on his straight little body. They came right off while Mom was standing there. I told her the jeans are a big enough nuisance, we don't need to add suspenders to the potty training festivities.
morgan24 07:07 AM 11-11-2011
Kids who go crazy when their parents get here to pick them up & the parent who looks at me like I have horns on my head when I get after their kid because they won't.
mommiesherie 07:35 AM 11-11-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Kids who go crazy when their parents get here to pick them up & the parent who looks at me like I have horns on my head when I get after their kid because they won't.
Oh that drives me crazy!!!!!!!!! I don't have one of those parents now that give you mean looks but I do have those kids. Try preparing them when before the mom gets there as to what behavior is acceptable and what you will not tolerate even with mom there. It really does help most days. I use to have one that was horrible. I know its prbably not the text book thing to do but I have even put him straight into time out as soon as he walked in the door for departing behavior from the night before. It honestly did seem to help some times. He was soooooo terrible that I would finally just start sitting him down before she got there. Lol it finally did get better after lots of hard work on my part. I have no problem calling them down when mom is here now. Last week a mom spotted her son doing something as she kept saying don't do that and he totally ignored her. I looked at him and said would you like to go to time out? In my stern but nice voice? He stopped immediately. She said you have to teach me that. Lol I said I just mean what I say and if I'm not gonna follow through I don't waste my breath on it.
AmyLeigh 08:10 AM 11-11-2011
Being sick on my day off!!

Oh and the fact that NOBODY got paid on time this week! How does that happen? Really?
MARSTELAC 08:19 AM 11-11-2011
I bite my tongue because....this family and other have caused damage to the home or property and I am told "they will grow out of the destructive state" or "we'll just fix it" (and they never do) or my favorite.."you can write that off, can't you?". It has happened with just about all of my families. It saddens me because we are very careful (I have several kids of my own) and like to keep things in excellent condition. I am saddened by this generation of parents and the feeling they think they can do anything (or the kids can do anything) without having some sort of responsibility for it. Is that going on everywhere or just in my little corner of the country? And yes, it is gross. I try to pick my battles, and there are many, but the destruction is one I just chalk up to "it goes with the biz". But it still remains a big pet peeve!
hoopinglady 08:31 AM 11-11-2011
overalls on potty trainers...or difficult to button/unbutton clothing

parents who act as if they are doing me a favor by paying me

I better stop, I'm trying to stay in my happy place today.
daycare 08:40 AM 11-11-2011
Shoes with shoe laces for a 2-3 yr old.

Its even in my policy! No shoes with strings, kids can't manage them.
KBCsMommy 11:25 AM 11-11-2011
Mine is the doorbell.

My daycare room is right where the front door is along with 2 windows....Hello I can see you....So why are you ringing my doorbell and looking at me at the same time???

Yet Parents still feel the urge to ring the bell!!!
erinalexmom 09:49 AM 11-14-2011
I would say that I have many pet peaves but I will say that they all mostly come down to this "the world revolves around children" its all about what they want and they are in control. Dont like it one bit!
awestbrook713 10:38 AM 11-14-2011
1. Parents being glued to their cellphones when they need to txt me, but magically never see the txt I send them.

2. Not paying me on pay day or saying they will and never showing up until I have to scold them and remind them.

3. Kids using outdoor voice inside constantly

4. Jumping on the furniture.

5. Sitting or standing on the toys.

6. The child that is attached to my hip and there favorite question is "what are you doing"
karen 11:01 AM 11-14-2011
BOOGERS!!!!
Big ones all the way down to the chin! Ohhhhh I heart that!
Boogers when wiped on shirt sleeve it stays on face!
Boogers-When picked and UGH eaten!
I am seriously done with boogers and really I didn't think it was booger season yet!
caligirl 10:16 AM 11-16-2011
I have a 'few'......

well, more than a few......... LOL
Childminder 11:07 AM 11-16-2011
Pacifiers on any child that is old enough to talk.

Gloves. It takes forever to get 60 fingers in gloves if every parent sends them. If you do, your child is going outside in socks.

A child that can't do anything for themselves once mom or dad walks in the door.

A parent that sends a video for the kids to watch. Really? Yea, I let them watch tv all day, that's why you hired me.

A child that cries and wakes up every one else early from nap.

That is enough for today. Tomorrow will be different.
GrannyJ 11:12 AM 11-16-2011
My pet peeves;

Parents over explaining a situation to their child!

Parents taking forever trying to reason with their child!

By the way, I say warsh for wash and I say ya all and I was born and raised in California but my mom was from Oklahoma those two words just stuck with me! They drive my daughter nuts!!!! lol
caligirl 11:43 AM 11-16-2011
Big pet peeve #1........... parents that say 'she/he won't LET me'..........
caligirl 11:45 AM 11-16-2011
Pet Peeve #2...... allowing the child to bring something to daycare they know is not allowed, just because the child has a fit in the car when they try to take it away....... I don't mind being the bad guy here, but give me a break mom, if you don't establish control now, you are in for BIG trouble later
caligirl 11:56 AM 11-16-2011
Pet Peeve #3............. I've warned DCB that I would take the toy away if he threw it again. He threw it, I took it. He starts crying, mom walks in the door 'awwww my poor baby'.....sympathizing and trying to comfort his cries....... uh, mom, why don't you ask my first WHY he is crying. He does not need sympathy right now.
sahm2three 11:57 AM 11-16-2011
I can't stand it when kids stand on any of the toys. I have a couple boys that stand on everything.

Tattle taling

Screamers

Parents who coddle their kids

Parents who make excuses for their kids bad behaviors

Kids who ask to watch tv all the time

I could go on and on, but I feel like I am beginning to sounds negative, lol!
caligirl 12:01 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I can't stand it when kids stand on any of the toys. I have a couple boys that stand on everything.

Tattle taling

Screamers

Parents who coddle their kids

Parents who make excuses for their kids bad behaviors

Kids who ask to watch tv all the time

I could go on and on, but I feel like I am beginning to sounds negative, lol!
I don't have the TV issue, but I DO have the rest and those drive me crazy too......there isnt a day that goes by I'm not telling one of them to get off the toy......oh and kids that are finished teething but still put everything in their mouths......that bugs me. I don't care if it's 'exploratory', it still bugs me.
caligirl 12:05 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Pacifiers on any child that is old enough to talk.

A child that cries and wakes up every one else early from nap.

That is enough for today. Tomorrow will be different.

yep
yep
yep
2ndFamilyDC 01:01 PM 11-16-2011
Pretty much I can just say what every one else has said.
2ndFamilyDC 01:03 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
Pet Peeve #3............. I've warned DCB that I would take the toy away if he threw it again. He threw it, I took it. He starts crying, mom walks in the door 'awwww my poor baby'.....sympathizing and trying to comfort his cries....... uh, mom, why don't you ask my first WHY he is crying. He does not need sympathy right now.

Oh wow, that would really get me if that happened here.
Meeko 07:35 AM 11-17-2011
Pet peeve? That the kids have to have parents.......
mommiesherie 07:46 AM 11-17-2011
Oh thought of another. Kids who want to twirl my hair for comfort. I hate that! And when I move them so they can't reach mine they do theirs. Lol drives me nuts! Also parents who make excuses for kids bad behavior. Parents who have no control over their child. Also I use to work at a center where this horrible mom would show up and child would act out and she would look at me as if it was my fault and I should do something with him!!! Seriously lady?
jennajury 07:56 AM 11-17-2011
Mine is when parents "forget" to pay me and I have to remind them. and also when they ask how much they owe me.
AmyLeigh 02:20 PM 11-17-2011
How about the parents that don't have all of the money to pay you, but send their kid to you the next day in a brand new shirt!!!

I wouldn't have even noticed it is new, but he said, hey look at my new shirt! Brother got one too!
mismatchedsocks 02:23 PM 11-17-2011
Parents who show up to daycare with food for their kids to eat on the way home. I dont know why but it irks me, why does the kid need to eat in the 10 minute car drive!?

Parents who bring their kids with no shoes, then say they forgot them in a rush, but magically remembered to curl their kids hair, put barrettes in, give them a bath in morning and stop at mcdonalds.
BigMama 10:11 AM 11-18-2011
Parents: Being passive aggressive instead of just telling me what they have issues with.
Kids:
-Whining.
-Kids ages 2 and up who just stand there when it is time to get ready to go outside and make NO attempt to put on their own coat or shoes.
-Purposely putting small toys under the shelves.
-Whining.
-Carboholics.
-Whining!!!!!!!
dave4him 10:26 AM 11-18-2011
Trying to steal toys on the way out
Tags:pet peeve
Reply Up