Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok Experts, I Need Your Help
daycare 10:30 AM 12-14-2011
I have taken on a new little one that is 21 months super cute little guy.

Well hes a screamer. He has never been away from his parents and his mom is about to have a new baby any day. The child is here part time full days 3 days a week until he gets used to things.

I have been spolied, as I have never had a screamer or a child that has reacted this way.

Mom came in this morning and told me that he had been up since 3:30am, this was at 8am and he would need a morning nap more than likely.

Well he has screamed since he has been here non stop. I finally decided at 9am to try to lay him down. Its been 1.5 hours and he has screamed the entire time. I have tried to lay him down, say night night, cover with blanket and walk away. But he screams and screams and he even tries to climb out of the pack and play. So I am watching him like a hawk on the monitor. BTW he is in my front room where I can see him, but he can't see me.

How long do I try to give him a nap and allow him to scream cry like that? I go in to him and rub his back, sign to him, or I try to say nothing and just cover him up. I don't want to traumatize the little guy by letting him cry/scream..

any words of wisdom please
laundrymom 10:45 AM 12-14-2011
I would let him up. GO on with your routine. And nap him like normal. If he is crying everywhere I would prefer him to stay on schedule.
daycare 10:49 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would let him up. GO on with your routine. And nap him like normal. If he is crying everywhere I would prefer him to stay on schedule.
this is a great point. I will get him up and see if he can make it until nap time...
Heidi 11:09 AM 12-14-2011
let us know how that went! I hope he did okay!

Probably too late now, but I would layed everyone else down for nap, then spent a few minutes rocking or cuddling with him. Then I would have stayed by his bed with my computer until he drifted off. Shorten each day for a couple weeks, and he will be more comfortable.

You won't get much done at nap time for a while, but alas...
daycare 11:17 AM 12-14-2011
i don't mind the mess or the short break time. I can hang. I just want to make sure he feels happy safe and secure. I can't stand to hear a child cry, it breaks my heart. BUT I also can't over do it to where I will be in trouble later and not able to meet everyone's needs. I purposely started this guy right now, as I am not full and won't be until after the first of the year. My goal is to get him broken in by Jan 9th...when all of the other full time kids will start

BTW I got him up, he stopped crying and is eating his little heart out. This is the longest that he has been here without crying....AWESOME!!!!
Heidi 11:33 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
i don't mind the mess or the short break time. I can hang. I just want to make sure he feels happy safe and secure. I can't stand to hear a child cry, it breaks my heart. BUT I also can't over do it to where I will be in trouble later and not able to meet everyone's needs. I purposely started this guy right now, as I am not full and won't be until after the first of the year. My goal is to get him broken in by Jan 9th...when all of the other full time kids will start

BTW I got him up, he stopped crying and is eating his little heart out. This is the longest that he has been here without crying....AWESOME!!!!
He's eating. If he's eating, he loves you already!
karen 11:34 AM 12-14-2011
A screamer what a tough situation. All I can tell you is everyday he is with you it will get better. Keep him on your routine, keep talking to him all the time let him know what's going to come next. A great tool for him to carry around is a photo albulm with his family in it, or just a pic of mom for him to hold. Keep reminding him that his mom will be back. I have had screamers in my classrooms and have dealt with children that have just moved here from other countries so couldn't even speak the language! It will not be easy and will try your patience level but in the end he will understand and be a happy go lucky little boy!
daycare 11:51 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by karen:
A screamer what a tough situation. All I can tell you is everyday he is with you it will get better. Keep him on your routine, keep talking to him all the time let him know what's going to come next. A great tool for him to carry around is a photo albulm with his family in it, or just a pic of mom for him to hold. Keep reminding him that his mom will be back. I have had screamers in my classrooms and have dealt with children that have just moved here from other countries so couldn't even speak the language! It will not be easy and will try your patience level but in the end he will understand and be a happy go lucky little boy!
something magic has happened since he got up... Maybe he was very hungry. He ate tons of food drank lots and we have been singing and laughing for almost an hour.

while he was eating I showed him picture cards and told him what he was eating. He was trying very hard to say some of the words. I got the other kids to clap for him when he would take a bite and he thought that was the best thing ever!!

He does not speak English and I think that is scaring him a little bit too. First time hearing english and then having to hear my thick funny accent.

Only one hour until nap time, I hope he will actually go to sleep....lol
grandmom 02:22 PM 12-14-2011
At three days a week, this could take a couple months. If you can get the mom to o 5 days a week, it will take 2-3 weeks.

I'd keep him up till naptime, and when you know he's full and tired. Then lay him down and read the Furber method on anothe post about CIO.

Don't put him in his pnp unless you expect him to take a nap.
daycare 02:29 PM 12-14-2011
yes I intend to practice the CIO method with the little guy. He actually did not need it, as he went right to sleep.

Now he is awake early and screaming. Do I let him get up or do I make him stay in nap time until 3 when everyone else will be up?
cheerfuldom 08:01 PM 12-14-2011
If everyone else naps for this specific time, then I would keep him on that schedule. Its going to tough though with a part timer.
daycare 08:06 PM 12-14-2011
Talked to mom he's going full time next week.
I told her my experts suggested it..lol

Thanks guys. Hope the consistency and routine work as planned starting next week.

Keep you posted

Btw. After waking I got him up and he laughed and played the rest of the day...
Tags:screamer, separation anxiety
Reply Up