Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temp Always Runs High
daycare 04:14 PM 10-04-2013
I have a dcg age 20 months. SOme weeks her temp runs normal at 98.6, others it will run 99.9. It will run at 99.9 for weeks at a time. She is a pretty testy little girl, so it's hard to tell if something is going on. She has drooled like a bulldog since the day she started with me a few months ago.

is this normal????

wanted to add:
I have asked DCM (who has been sick for over a month know with pneumonia) if she is giving her any meds, but she says no.
ihop 04:22 PM 10-04-2013
No advice to if it's normal for your dcg, just my personal experience..
I have an autoimmune disorder and when I am going through a flare I will go weeks with a temp of 100 or more and get a little cranky myself if I'm not getting an extra amount of rest. Other times I will be around 99 and in a fine mood with next to no sleep. My temp always fluctuated when I was a child long before I got sick.
hgonzalez 06:41 AM 10-05-2013
Wow, I had a similar child a few months back. I actually termed the family as strep was going around and they refused to have her tested. She was around 15 mos at the time and frequently had a temp around 100, but not always. I would check her several times a day and about once every 2 weeks it would go over 101 degrees.

She also had low muscle tone (IMO). I would set her down to stand up and she would flop down on the floor and almost slip out of my arms when I picked her up.

The parents would not check her out and blamed it on the type of thermometer I used (even though everyone else came out 99 or lower).

Not fun....
SilverSabre25 08:04 AM 10-05-2013
I'm not sure...but if it were MY child I would be getting her a bunch of tests until I was 100% confident that nothing sinister was the underlying cause. 98.6 is just an AVERAGE, which means that about half the population runs lower and about half runs higher. Myself, I tend to have a temp of 97.4 normally.

But a temp *that* much above the average (and to be fair, I do NOT know what the standard deviations on normal temperature really are) would spike concern for me. There are many conditions that cause chronic low grade fevers.
Cradle2crayons 10:54 AM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a dcg age 20 months. SOme weeks her temp runs normal at 98.6, others it will run 99.9. It will run at 99.9 for weeks at a time. She is a pretty testy little girl, so it's hard to tell if something is going on. She has drooled like a bulldog since the day she started with me a few months ago.

is this normal????

wanted to add:
I have asked DCM (who has been sick for over a month know with pneumonia) if she is giving her any meds, but she says no.
My special dcg runs a little higher than normal... From 99.0 to 99.4 off and on... But still under my exclusion policy and she's happy and playful and obviously feels awesome.

Bt in your dck case, with it nearing 100.0, I'd be concerned. I would fill out one of my own dr visit sheets and send that with mom to the pediatrician to get my questions answered.
Starburst 05:05 PM 10-05-2013
98.6 body temperature is the average but it doesn't mean that its the norm for everyone. My normal body temperature is usually 96.8 when I feel fine and sometimes I feel ill if it's the "normal" 98.6. I had a friend whose normal body temp was 98.6 but when she was sick instead of her body temp being higher it was much lower, sometimes as low as the 95s. When she would tell a doctor about that they said to come in if it drops below 95 because its a risk of hypothermia.

If her temp is constantly high it could be a sign that she has a sensitive immune system and that her body is working hard to fight pathogens or could even be caused by mild allergies.

It might also help to take her temperature at different times or to look at what times you are taking it (after activity, eating, or waking up) as well as how (mouth, ear, forehead, ect) because body temperature can fluctuate easily depending on these factors.
Scout 08:28 AM 10-06-2013
Are you sure your thermometor is accurate? Is this a rectal temp? I really only trust the rectal ones for my own kids.
Cradle2crayons 10:32 AM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Are you sure your thermometor is accurate? Is this a rectal temp? I really only trust the rectal ones for my own kids.
Yep, rectal is the MOST accurate. Although typically I only do temps if ey are truly feverish.
TwinKristi 04:13 PM 10-06-2013
LOL I have a dcb who's mom said this same thing. Her son was running 99.4-100.4 for 2wks. He would have flushed cheeks, be crabby/fussy and I would take his temp and sure enough he would have one. His mom claimed he just runs warm but he would be 98.6 when he wasn't flushed and crabby. I honestly believe he had a virus and mom just didn't want to take off work to take him in. The next week he had a runny nose and then a rash in his face and sore on his lip. I made her take him in and get a note to return and I think she was pretty mad at me for awhile. She's even told me she's putting him in preschool at 23mos. about 2 wks later. I think because of that but she says it's just easier to have 1 drop off and pickup since his sister attends prek there. BUT she starts kindy in Sept so it's only for about 8 mos that they'll have 1 location.

Anyway, it's possible but when they have other symptoms that would make you think to take their temp I believe it's just viral. Low grade fevers are common with certain viruses. High temps are common with others. But when they have more than just a low grade temp (fussy, etc) than I would say it's otherwise. If they're teething that could explain all of it, fussy, low grade fever, etc. but my dcb wasn't teething. This same dcm told me she thought her son had a fever of 102.5 because it was hot outside, like 98*. LOL and his runny green snotty nose is always allergies. He's been sent home for pink eye, fever, etc. and NEVER has she voluntarily excluded him. Ever!!
Starburst 04:44 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
rectal temps tend to run higher than from the mouth, ear, pit and forehead. since she said it is a daycare child, I am not sure if she could legally use that for them.
Tags:fever, fever - policy
Reply Up