Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal?
mommyneedsadayoff 08:18 AM 01-07-2016
I watch a little boy who is 18 months and he went to his well check and they referred him for speech therapy. Mom took him yesterday and he now has to go two days a week for the next six months. Is this normal to have an 18 month old in speech therapy or is it overkill? He "talks" a lot and is very smart and knows how to tell us what he wants, but he really only clearly says maybe one or two words (momma and yes). I never thought his development was unusual ad having worked with a lot of boys, I have found they seem to start speaking later than the girls I have cared for. It just seems weird to me, since he is so young, to do speech therapy at this point. I thought they didn't usually do that until the kid was older and a lot more verbal, just to work on pronunciation and such? Is this a newer thing or am I just out of the loop?
daycarediva 08:44 AM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I watch a little boy who is 18 months and he went to his well check and they referred him for speech therapy. Mom took him yesterday and he now has to go two days a week for the next six months. Is this normal to have an 18 month old in speech therapy or is it overkill? He "talks" a lot and is very smart and knows how to tell us what he wants, but he really only clearly says maybe one or two words (momma and yes). I never thought his development was unusual ad having worked with a lot of boys, I have found they seem to start speaking later than the girls I have cared for. It just seems weird to me, since he is so young, to do speech therapy at this point. I thought they didn't usually do that until the kid was older and a lot more verbal, just to work on pronunciation and such? Is this a newer thing or am I just out of the loop?
I work with ECI quite a bit. They prefer getting kids in earlier to rule out issues. Also it is cheaper to do ECI in small amounts than a wait and see approach. With ASD on the rise, and especially more common in boys, I see more and more kids going to ECI even for mild delays. Most often the kids who truly aren't special needs or delayed make great strides and they are evaluated out early.
Ariana 09:43 AM 01-07-2016
In my opinion the speech pathologist obviously saw something that you may not be seeing. He may have a speech disorder that requires early intervention. I took my daughter at 18 months because she wasn't saying hardly anything and wasn't even really babbling much. The SLP saw her twice and told us there was nothing really wrong she would just be a late talker and it was up to us if we wanted to continue seeing her...but that basically it was a waste of time. Sure enough at 20 months she had a word explosion and by 2 was talking in complete sentences!!

I think early intervention is key to helping children who need it. My neighbour has a 3 year old and you cannot understand a word this kid is saying. He needs intervention desperately but mom is in denial.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:08 AM 01-07-2016
Thank you both for your responses! Mom is okay with giving it a try, but she just thinks it is a waste of time, because neither her, nor I, feel like he is delayed. I definitely understand that there may be something going on that I am not seeing, but at the same time, I spend SO much time with him (had him since 4 weeks and 50+ hours a week, so he is like my own son) and so it makes me skeptical that I'm not seeing something they saw in spending literally 45 minutes with him one time. I'm curious to see how it goes and if mom decides to stick it out for the full six months (I think whether her insurance covers it all will be a major factor), but I am glad to know that it is not that abnormal and if he needs the help and benfits from it, then I am on board with whatever they all feel is best. Just had never heard of an 18 month old going to speech therapy
Ariana 12:33 PM 01-07-2016
Thank you both for your responses! Mom is okay with giving it a try, but she just thinks it is a waste of time, because neither her, nor I, feel like he is delayed...
But neither of you are trained professionals in language development. It makes a huge difference. Apraxia, dyspraxia and all these other childhood language delays are not recognizable to someone not trained. At this age there are very subtle signs. I think you may be doing this child and mom a disservice by even weighing in against a SLP's expert opinion on this subject in my opinion. Most parents need very little to keep up their denial. I think at this point just being supportive will help a lot!
caligirl 01:32 PM 01-07-2016
In my opinion, the earlier they can help the child, the better.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:43 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
But neither of you are trained professionals in language development. It makes a huge difference. Apraxia, dyspraxia and all these other childhood language delays are not recognizable to someone not trained. At this age there are very subtle signs. I think you may be doing this child and mom a disservice by even weighing in against a SLP's expert opinion on this subject in my opinion. Most parents need very little to keep up their denial. I think at this point just being supportive will help a lot!
Sorry, but I don't think I am doing him or his mother a disservice. Mom is not in denial and neither am I and I am not telling her not to go. She asked me if I had ever heard of an 18 month old going to speech therapy and I said no, because in 17 years of childcare, I have not had a child that age be referred for therapy, especially since he has been on track developmentally. I told her that if they feel it is a good resource, then she should try it out and see if there is any positive progress from it. She asked me if I think it is necessary, and I said that I didn't know, but he seemed to be doing just fine to me and I never saw his speech as an issue, but it doesn't hurt to try it out. (Of course, it does kind of hurt mom because she has to take 2 hours, twice a week, off of work to take him and she is unsure if her insurance will cover all of it).

The activities they are doing during therapy are the same things we do all day here (point to book, say "book", "read book", point to shoe, say "shoe", "shoe on", ect.) and I had actually noticed just how much more he has been "talking" in the past 3-4 months. He will point to what he wants and "say" words to back up his want. I have found that to be normal behavior. If the doc doesn't think it is or thinks he needs more intervention, then I am not advocating against that advice, just wondering if it is common for such a young age. IME, speech therapy never occured until 3+ and for anyone younger, hearing was always the first thing checked and they have not checked his hearing or ears at all, s I just thought it was odd.

As for doctors and experts, I always take what ANYONE says and research it and come to my own conclusion. I have seen many docs recommend some absurd stuff in my day and misdiagnose and considering that we tend to spend a whole 10-15 minutes with them, it is natural to question their diagnosis and to do your own research. I am my own children's biggest advocate and since I consider this little guy to be like family, I don't think it is a diservice to ask questions and try to research this issue.
caligirl 01:51 PM 01-07-2016
Its those parents that DON'T address the issues their child may have that are the problem. I can't tell you how many parents I've had that refuse to accept that their may be a problem with their child. I even had one mom, who was a KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, who's son, at age 3.4 could not speak. He made garbled sounds...... I talked to her soooooooooo many times......very compassionately too, offering suggestions......and what did she do? She covered her ears one day and said 'i can't listen to this.....not MY child'...... because obviously, she's had to tell parents of her students that there could be 'problems' and she didn't want it to be HER child now........ How sad was that??
Thriftylady 01:53 PM 01-07-2016
Well my DS started speech therapy in kindy when he started school and still has some issues. They told me if they caught him earlier they MAY have been able to help more. He was my first, I was young and didn't realize he had an issue I guess. He didn't really talk, he pointed to everything until my mom told me to start making him talk when he was three. I wish I had known then that I could get him tested and get him help then! Perhaps you aren't noticing so much because you are around him everyday? When my DS started talking we understood him fine but no one else could. When he was four that was what told us there was an issue. He had just gotten used to the way he talked. And yours may be talking more because of what you are doing with him! It is probably a hassle for mom to drive him and miss work twice a week though. Seems like there would be an easier way.

I know once we got DS in speech therapy, they gave us things to do at home. One of them was drinking from a straw often, because of the part of his mouth they were trying to strengthen. Not saying you should do that, because it could be a different issue, just saying that hopefully they will give you all some small things you can do.
caligirl 01:56 PM 01-07-2016
I've been a DCP for 30 years now....... for those of us who have done this job for a long time, is it just me, or does it seem that kids for the most part, are starting to talk later than they used to?
mommyneedsadayoff 02:06 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by caligirl:
Its those parents that DON'T address the issues their child may have that are the problem. I can't tell you how many parents I've had that refuse to accept that their may be a problem with their child. I even had one mom, who was a KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, who's son, at age 3.4 could not speak. He made garbled sounds...... I talked to her soooooooooo many times......very compassionately too, offering suggestions......and what did she do? She covered her ears one day and said 'i can't listen to this.....not MY child'...... because obviously, she's had to tell parents of her students that there could be 'problems' and she didn't want it to be HER child now........ How sad was that??
I totally understand and just for clarification, this is so not that mom! She is not one of those "my kid is perfect" type parents and she was already planning to do the therapy, but was just asking my advice or opinion, since we have a close relationship. I think her issue was just that the activities they do at the therapy are things we do here and she does at home, so I think she was just wondering if it is a waste of time to take him to a separate location he is not used to and expect better results than just continuing what we already do. I think she is also skeptical of her doctor. He gave her a really hard time, saying dcb was too small (he is in the 15th percentile) at his 12 month well check and lectured her on feeding him, even though he eats like a grown man He is just a small guy and very active, but I am sure she took it personally. Everytime they go, the doc has 2-3 things he really gets on her about and, imo, I think she feels like he is kind of bullying her or picking on her. I know the doc, because he is the on call doc and I have seen him before and he is very harsh in his communication, yet never makes much eye contact, so I never really cared for him. I did recommend that maybe she find a new doc that she liked better, but we ave such a shortage of available peds that I don't think she had any luck

Anyway, as I said, I never told her it was not necessary or that she shouldn't go, just that it was odd for the age range ime. But regardless of me and my experience, she is a grown woman and can make her own decisions. If 45 minutes, twice a week is what he needs, then she can make the choice to provide that or not and I will support her either way.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:22 PM 01-07-2016
I've been a DCP for 30 years now....... for those of us who have done this job for a long time, is it just me, or does it seem that kids for the most part, are starting to talk later than they used to?
I have seen this and think it is related to too much screen time and not enough face time with their parents, friends, siblings, ect. A lot of kids get propped in front of the ipad or tv and they don't HAVE to speak, so they don't. And I have also found that reading books for bedtime or anytime is becoming kind of rare. Now, they get one show before bed or they get tablet time, so they don't get to hear others speaking to them consistently. Not sure if that is the reason, but just seems to be pretty common anymore.
caligirl 02:29 PM 01-07-2016
I have seen this and think it is related to too much screen time and not enough face time with their parents, friends, siblings, ect. A lot of kids get propped in front of the ipad or tv and they don't HAVE to speak, so they don't. And I have also found that reading books for bedtime or anytime is becoming kind of rare. Now, they get one show before bed or they get tablet time, so they don't get to hear others speaking to them consistently. Not sure if that is the reason, but just seems to be pretty common anymore.
That was my first thought as well. I'll have a 2 yr old here, not saying words yet and I can't get past the 'old days' when kids were talking sentences by age 2
Ariana 02:37 PM 01-07-2016
Yes I totally agree! I also agree that docs can be quacks (my own DR for example!) BUT I consider an SLP an expert in language...I wouldn't consider a DR an expert in nutrition and growth. I completely get where you are coming from and from your first couple of posts I thought you were trying to convince mom that therapy wasn't needed. I'm sorry for jumping to that conclusion. I guess I see SOOOOO many parents in denial that won't get help it is really nice to see a parent actually getting the help they need. Even if it is a "waste" of time I think he should be much further ahead than where he is so what you are doing and what mom is doing will only be boosted by this extra one on one attention. At 18 months he should have more than 100 words and stringing two words together. If he only has 2 words and uses mostly gestures or nonsense words than he will benefit greatly from the extra help.
Fiddlesticks 02:57 PM 01-07-2016
I believe 18 months is too young. One of my daycare mothers is the director for ECSE in my school district and another one of my mothers is a speech and language pathologist for another school district. The second mother has a son who is turning two next week, and obviously has a speech delay (we all suspect apraxia), but both mothers agree that he shouldn't be tested until he is officially two (the first mother will be in charge of the testing for the second mother's son because they live in this school district and we all three have discussed the concern together). However, just this week he started making a few new sounds, and now we are all worried he won't qualify for services. So, I understand that it varies by location, but in my experience I find it surprising that it is even an issue before the age of 2.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:01 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yes I totally agree! I also agree that docs can be quacks (my own DR for example!) BUT I consider an SLP an expert in language...I wouldn't consider a DR an expert in nutrition and growth. I completely get where you are coming from and from your first couple of posts I thought you were trying to convince mom that therapy wasn't needed. I'm sorry for jumping to that conclusion. I guess I see SOOOOO many parents in denial that won't get help it is really nice to see a parent actually getting the help they need. Even if it is a "waste" of time I think he should be much further ahead than where he is so what you are doing and what mom is doing will only be boosted by this extra one on one attention. At 18 months he should have more than 100 words and stringing two words together. If he only has 2 words and uses mostly gestures or nonsense words than he will benefit greatly from the extra help.
No worries and I totally understand! I am curious how it will all go and I hope they give some "homework" so we can work on stuff here too! I was just surprised because of is age and not really seeing any issues, so I thought it might be unusual to do so much intervention at this point, but if it helps him, then that is great! He is sort of my right hand man and holds a very special place in my heart, so I only want what is best for him!
daycarediva 04:12 PM 01-07-2016
Depends on many things, but for the vast majority, yes.

DING DING DING! The parents who speak, read, interact with, sing to, and spend more time with are the children who are 'ahead' with speech and language development.
Renae82 01:39 PM 01-11-2016
Just reinforcing what others have said. Absolutely normal! It's much more beneficial to do speech therapy at an early age. The earlier any delay is caught, the better. I have referred two children to speech therapy, one was 18m and the other was 16m. Within one year they were caught up to where they should be and later on surpassed their peers in language development. If you are willing to let them do it in your home you could gain some valuable knowledge from it as well
mommyneedsadayoff 06:06 PM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by Renae82:
Just reinforcing what others have said. Absolutely normal! It's much more beneficial to do speech therapy at an early age. The earlier any delay is caught, the better. I have referred two children to speech therapy, one was 18m and the other was 16m. Within one year they were caught up to where they should be and later on surpassed their peers in language development. If you are willing to let them do it in your home you could gain some valuable knowledge from it as well
I guess that was my issue. Never saw a delay or anything to be concerned about. (He just said two new words on friday! And no, therapy has not started yet. They start on wed) I am not open to therapy in my house, as I am winding out of daycare, so they will have to deal with getting him to and from and since I do the same things they are, it would be pointless to have them come here, versus going as an extra bonus to our activities.
sahm1225 06:27 PM 01-11-2016
My dd started speech when she was a little over 1 (maybe 16 months?). But she had an obvious delay (no babbling, no mimicking, no words, etc).

Was the child evaluated or just recommended for services? We had to jump through hoops to get my dd evaluated, then more hoops to get it through EI. With my DD, being with a different person than just me was what worked for her. Maybe since you said he's like a son to you, he would benefit from more a teacher/stranger teaching him
mommyneedsadayoff 12:19 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
My dd started speech when she was a little over 1 (maybe 16 months?). But she had an obvious delay (no babbling, no mimicking, no words, etc).

Was the child evaluated or just recommended for services? We had to jump through hoops to get my dd evaluated, then more hoops to get it through EI. With my DD, being with a different person than just me was what worked for her. Maybe since you said he's like a son to you, he would benefit from more a teacher/stranger teaching him
He went to his 18 month well check and the doc said he was going to refer him to speech therapy. They went to the evaluation appointment last week and set up to come twice a week for the next 6 months. She said she filled out a long questionaire on what drugs she had during birth and if she felt the pitocin from her induction had any bad effects on him and questions like that. It made me start to wonder if they are assessing something more than speech issues. I am not sure, but the questions they asked were more about what she did during pregnancy and birth, than about him and his development, but maybe that is the usual?? They go to their first session tomorrow, so I should get more info when they get back.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!
Unregistered 04:45 PM 01-16-2016
As a former in home daycare worker turned special needs foster parent, and soon to own my own daycare again. I will have to say several have mentioned that unless you are trained in it you won't know what to look for, so true! Lets be honest, daycare licensing doesn't require much training to open a daycare. Our experiences are all over the place so many of you can go for years without having any kids who have any real delays, or parents that recognize it and get the kids help without going into denial. And quality of healthcare varies immensely even depending on the side of town you live on.

But after all my training as a special needs foster parent, countless therapists in my home I have learned so much. Play therapy is central to teaching kids. But these therapists are looking for all kinds of little things, looking to see if they are learning things in the appropriate sequence, and they also report back to the docs or school system to potentially catch things.

We now know that the first 3 yrs of life are critical for brain development and overcoming any "diagnosis" and getting ahead of it. As one poster mentioned, possibly transitioning out of services. But many times we are too close to these kids and blow things off, like "they are just quirky" or wait it out, and can't see things objectively anymore.

So any parent or daycare worker don't ever discard any advice to get services. You will be doing your kid a huge disservice. Just look at it as an hr a week that you can have one less kid to monitor or can go do something in the other part of the house with out an ankle biter following you. That should give you motivation to deal with the scheduling and another person in your life.
Tags:peeing, potty accidents
Reply Up