Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neglect? I Am Registered User
Registered 10:44 AM 01-06-2011
I am wondering if this would be something to report or if its just nothing of concern.

I have a 2 yr old dcg and everytime I change her in the morning there is a definite smell from her private area. I am going to be graphic and I am sorry but I need to know if it could be neglect. It is a smell that make me want to vomit as soon as I remove her pull up. When I wipe her there is sometimes bm that is left from I assume the night before because she hasnt pooped here. Sometimes there is white stuff and gel from pullups.

I do not know if this would qualify as neglect. I am big on hygiene. Always bath my children everynight and make sure everything is washed well. I think girls needs to be bathed everynight at least to wash their bottoms. I may just be anal about my own hygiene and my daughters but I just wanted some other opions on the matter.

I am registered but because of the nature of this post I logged out. Thanks
kitkat 10:56 AM 01-06-2011
I wouldn't think it's neglect, but I would mention something to the parent about what you notice. You might want to document, just in case. If she's wearing pull ups to bed, they probably aren't as absorbent as a diaper and that's why there are the bally things. Sometimes DD gets those even during the day and she's not soaked. The parents should do a better job of wiping in the morning. I'm sure if you say something, they will be embarrassed enough to do better, especially if you approach it more as an issue of you don't want dcg to get a yeast infection or anything.
kendallina 10:58 AM 01-06-2011
Have you talked to the parents? I just had a dcg who had a foul smell (mom told me, I didn't smell it because she's potty trained) and she had an infection. I'd talk to the parents. If it's frequent that she has left-over poop on her diaper area, I would mention that to the parents as well. I know when my DH changes my DD there is ALWAYS leftover poop. He is not good at it and is worried about wiping her too hard or too much. So, it may just be that.
MommyMuffin 11:42 AM 01-06-2011
It sounds like an infection for sure. She should go to the doctor and possibly start some antibiotics. If this happened at my house I would simply tell the parents what I saw, "foul smelling white discharge, some pus..most likely associated with an infection."
I know my parents would be happy if I told them this because I have a medical background and they know this. But if I didnt have a medical background I would still mention something but it would be more uncomfortable for me to mention I think.

I dont think its fair to say that the parents are neglecting the child. Now if you say something and they dont seek care and this continues then I would get a little suspicious.
Tags:abuse, neglect
Reply Up