Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddlers, Snot, and More Snot
mac60 05:32 AM 02-26-2010
YUCK. My handbook says that if your child is sick, ie --- the wonderful snotty nose continuously running syndrome, that I will care for them but to please give them meds to help control the snot and cough. Does anyone do it......heck no. So, I think, what choice do I have but to keep the child confined to a high chair, or in their pack in play. Otherwise, they are continuously wiping their hands in their snot and and putting their dirty hands on everything, or mouthing everything spreading the nasty germs, at least keeping them confined will contain what they touch and slobber on.

So, how do you deal with/handle kids with continuous snot and cough, and wiping it where it don't belong.
momma2girls 05:39 AM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
YUCK. My handbook says that if your child is sick, ie --- the wonderful snotty nose continuously running syndrome, that I will care for them but to please give them meds to help control the snot and cough. Does anyone do it......heck no. So, I think, what choice do I have but to keep the child confined to a high chair, or in their pack in play. Otherwise, they are continuously wiping their hands in their snot and and putting their dirty hands on everything, or mouthing everything spreading the nasty germs, at least keeping them confined will contain what they touch and slobber on.

So, how do you deal with/handle kids with continuous snot and cough, and wiping it where it don't belong.
I know this is so tough!! I know I have a toddler now that has a bad runny nose, she screams bloody murder when I wipe it!!
Daycare Mommy 05:43 AM 02-26-2010
And when they do give them meds it's the wrong ones.

Me: "Did you give Jr. something for that runny nose?"

Parent: "Yep! Gave him Tylenol an hour ago."

Me:

I had to give out another copy of the illness policy to everyone that spelled it all out including what meds to bring if they aren't too sick to attend, but are having drainage issues that day. Parents STILL got it wrong and I ended up having to turn 2 kids away at the door the day after the parents got their reminders.
tenderhearts 08:49 AM 02-26-2010
I totally get what you're saying, it is so irritating, oh and the I gave them tylenol, I have a parent that has done the same thing, hellooo tylenol isn't for a runny nose. Very irritating. You're constantly wiping their nose then have to wash your hands too, my hands get so dry.
momma2girls 09:24 AM 02-26-2010
Yuck!! I have a fillin girl who is 4 yrs. old, and has a runny nose, and crying today, and she is always wiping everything on her shirt. How disgusting!!! I have caught her doing this now about 10 times today!! I have kleenexes all over the house, and she knows where they are. You should see her shirt both sleeves YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have reminded this little girl probably about 30 times today, and she still doesn't understand to get a kleenex if her nose is running without me reminding her or she wipes it on her sleeve, when I don't notice her doing it!
Liliya 11:24 AM 02-26-2010
With toddlers, I try to whipe it before they do and remind older kids whipe their noses.
TGT09 11:32 AM 02-26-2010
Actually 2 policies in my handbook are: No green snot (which I have since learned is no worse than clear snot because even clear snot can be contagious) and if their nose is constantly running they are not allowed to come....I do not have time to run after a child all day to wipe their nose.

As for just having snot everywhere....I HATE it! I'm a little of a germaphobe so I have to wash my hands like 10 million times a day and use hand sanitizer another 10 million times a day! Most parents understand it but once in a while I get the parents that try to drop off or call and say stuff like "little susie has a loud raspy cough and constant snot, can she come?" UHHH NO!

I recently had a mom that thought it was ok NOT to tell me her daughter had a fever off and on, a serious cough and tons of sneezing. About an hour after she got there and I saw all the symptoms I had to call Mom back to come get her....ended up she had RSV and in that short amount of time she gave it to another child here. Boy was I not a happy camper!
originalkat 02:58 PM 02-26-2010
When the snot starts a coming...I start a runnin! I HATE SNOT! It is soooo gross. And the little ones wiping it everwhere. Yuck. I try to get to the snot before the kid does (usually my 2 year old is the worst) Every 3-5 minutes I am on that nose with a Kleenix. A pian in the butt, but better than snot all over everything.
melissa ann 04:37 PM 02-26-2010
I have an almost 1 yr old dcb who I swear every other week has a runny nose. I have told mom that when he has a runny nose I keep him in 1) booster sit at kitchen table 2) pack n play and 3) exersaucer. Apparently it doesn't bother her because she didn't say anything and she continues to bring him when he has a runny nose. Dcb has a cousin in my care also who is like the 1 yr old. I keep him by himself to play. I think some of their problem is that they are surrounded by smokers at home. But that is just my opinion.
1 yr old screams bloody murder when I try to wipe his nose. Frustrating and annoying.
TGT09 04:46 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I have an almost 1 yr old dcb who I swear every other week has a runny nose. I have told mom that when he has a runny nose I keep him in 1) booster sit at kitchen table 2) pack n play and 3) exersaucer. Apparently it doesn't bother her because she didn't say anything and she continues to bring him when he has a runny nose. Dcb has a cousin in my care also who is like the 1 yr old. I keep him by himself to play. I think some of their problem is that they are surrounded by smokers at home. But that is just my opinion.
1 yr old screams bloody murder when I try to wipe his nose. Frustrating and annoying.
I do think that smoking lowers their little immune systems so I tend to agree. Plus, once the snot starts coming, it just continues through all the children. I also think they get sick less once they are in school full time because it helps to build up their immune systems.
Persephone 05:20 PM 02-26-2010
The problem is, is that you can't buy over the counter medication for runny noses for young children. That's why parents give Tylenol. They don't have anything else to give them unless they want to give them a med that's not for young children.
Childminder 05:44 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
The problem is, is that you can't buy over the counter medication for runny noses for young children. That's why parents give Tylenol. They don't have anything else to give them unless they want to give them a med that's not for young children.
Loratidine or benydryl
Persephone 06:11 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Loratidine or benydryl
The Loratidine page says not to be use on children under 6 with out talking to a doctor.

Benadryl also says between 2-5 do not use unless directed by a doctor.
And under 2 do not use.

There is nothing safe to use for under age 2 over the counter. Other then some Vicks rub and some nasal spray to clean it out.

Both are for Allergies or Hayfever. Not something you would use for an every day cold. Unless it's the sinus(Benadryl allergy and sinus) one, and that one says not for children under 4.
mac60 04:26 AM 02-27-2010
If I recall correctly, there were products on the market to alleviate the symptoms of nasty colds in young children. Parents were stupid and abused the dosage amounts, so if I recall correctly, many of these products are still on the market, but now say for age 6 (?) and above.
Persephone 04:52 AM 02-27-2010
If I recall correctly, there were products on the market to alleviate the symptoms of nasty colds in young children. Parents were stupid and abused the dosage amounts, so if I recall correctly, many of these products are still on the market, but now say for age 6 (?) and above.
Right, which means that those parents who were stupid in the first place and had them change the age would be giving their kids the wrong amount if they used them, and overdose their child.
Daycare Mommy 05:49 AM 02-27-2010
All my dc kids are 3-5yrs old right now so Nope! That's not it.. not at my place anyway. Just clueless parents. Anyway, for the youngers (12-23 mos) if mom calls their doc they can get the correct dosages on whatever med the doc thinks is appropriate. If the doc says don't medicate, they just need to stay home with them when they are sick.

If they are sick and parents want to bring them to daycare with a cold the kids drainage and/or coughing HAS to be medicated effectively or I will send them home. If the meds aren't enough to keep their noses from running like a faucet or keep them from hacking all over the place then I call them for an early pick up. Any green drainage or fever it's straight home too.

Just because Bobby "only" has a cold doesn't mean it can't turn into a miserable double ear infection in Suzie causing her mom to have a doctor bill and eat up her sick time at work and then even worse hospitalize Johnny with pneumonia. (Yes this has happened!) It's not about grouching at the parents, it's about keeping everyone in our care safe. That's what I do. I think it annoys some of them sometimes, but I'm up front about it and overall I think they appreciate it because in the end we have a LOT less illness than most places around here.
Childminder 06:44 AM 02-27-2010
Now that they have taken cold meds off the market for young children parents are stupid enough to give them adult med. Loratadine and benadryl seems to be the meds of choice recommended by pediatricians around here for children as young as 6 mo to dry up the nasal symptoms. No script needed.Even have dosage sheets printed with the Dr's letterhead. I'm sure they have gone to this to keep parents from using adult meds. As persephones post says they should talk to a Dr but most dont.

"The Loratidine page says not to be use on children under 6 with out talking to a doctor.

Benadryl also says between 2-5 do not use unless directed by a doctor.
And under 2 do not use.

There is nothing safe to use for under age 2 over the counter. Other then some Vicks rub and some nasal spray to clean it out.

Both are for Allergies or Hayfever. Not something you would use for an every day cold. Unless it's the sinus(Benadryl allergy and sinus) one, and that one says not for children under 4."

Daycares are pretty much petri dishes and by the time a child shows symptom they have pretty much given it to everyone that comes around. My policy states that a child may not come to daycare if fever is over 101 or spewing out either end. As for colds; snot it pretty much comes with the territory and you might as well except it. Most children have between 6-8 colds per year and it helps to build their immunities to be exposed so that they don't have bigger problems later.
mac60 02:35 PM 02-27-2010
Right, which means that those parents who were stupid in the first place and had them change the age would be giving their kids the wrong amount if they used them, and overdose their child.
My own kids are now 19 and 21, and they were in daycare, and as parents we gave them meds for nasty colds that were over the counter and age appropriate.....obviously we knew what we knew what we were doing as we had no issues..........my point is, is that many years ago there were products to give young children and we used them safely.
Persephone 02:42 PM 02-27-2010
My own kids are now 19 and 21, and they were in daycare, and as parents we gave them meds for nasty colds that were over the counter and age appropriate.....obviously we knew what we knew what we were doing as we had no issues..........my point is, is that many years ago there were products to give young children and we used them safely.
I know...but there were some people who didn't use them right and that's why things changed now.

That's like when I was little taking a tsp of med meant getting out the spoon from the draw and pouring it on. Never a measurement.
momma2girls 05:53 AM 02-28-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I have the exact some thing here. She screams bloody murder when I try and wipe it.
Tags:benydryl, fever, loratidine, runny nose, snot
Reply Up