Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feveral Seizures?
JJPlaycare 04:44 AM 07-26-2010
So I had one of my DCM's call last night and her 1 year old son was just discharged from the hospital yesterday morning, he had a feveral seizure on Sat afternoon! He is fine now and doesn't have a temp anymore as it broke Sat night! I guess my question is have any of you dealt with this? She said they called an ambulance because they didn't know what was going on, but now they told her to wait 5 - 10mins and to not call the ambulance unless he isn't comming out of it! Really? I think 30 sec. would feel like an hour if something like this was going on! I guess I am nervous to have him here, I know it can happen to any of them, but now knowing about it makes me nervous! What would you guys do if he had one while on your watch?
momofsix 05:17 AM 07-26-2010
My oldest daughter was prone to these, she had 3 i think. I called the ambulance the first two times- and no one told me I shouldn't have! It is VERY scary to watch.
We just had to be very careful if she started a fever. She would never get a 100.4 or anything like that, it would be 99 and then straight to 104, which is why the siezure would set in. If he gets a fever while with you, make sure you have written permission to give him tylenol/motrin RIGHT AWAY--that's the important part--don't wait for mom to come. We used to "piggyback" tylenol and motrin because just one or the other by itself would not work for my daughter. I would also get IN WRITING froom the doctor what you should do if he has a siezure at your house-instructions on how to lay him and what you should and should not do, including the ambulance.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even though it's scary, my Dr. told me they are harmless. And once they figure out how to control that child's fevers he should be fine. It is also something he will grow out of.
Good luck!
GretasLittleFriends 06:38 AM 07-26-2010
I had a family that their daughter (age 3) had a feveral seizure during the night, she went to the hospital. She was discharged at 8am. They were at my house at 2p for their regular drop off, were in a hurry and left. The two older kids the girl and her older brother (4) were talking about the hospital "last night". I questioned them, and they said "Suzie" had to go to the hospital because she was hot and shaky. "Suzie" didn't remember much about it. I tried to get ahold of both parents and couldn't. I questioned the mom at pick-up, and she said, "Oh, yeah 'Suzie' had a feveral seizure last night and we took her in. She's ok. Nothing to worry about." I, of course, was livid. Thankfully nothing else had happened.

(This was the same family that they showed up, older boy threw his lunch up all over my entry way, told mom I'd keep the younger two, but older one CANNOT stay. They were running late to work, she went out (I thought to talk to her hubby) and they drove away. That was their last day with me.)
AmandasFCC 06:40 AM 07-26-2010
I have a dcg with febrile seizures and my hubby also had them.

Get a signed consent form indicating that you need to give Tylenol the instant dcb spikes a fever. What would I do if a child had a seizure on my watch? Probably cry TBH lol .... put a pillow under his head make sure he can't hurt himself, then probably give him a comfy place to lie and sleep once it's over. Other than that there's not a whole lot you CAN do.
Jenjo 07:30 AM 07-26-2010
I have had this happen in my home, luckily the boys mom had come to pick him up just before it happened. But it was his first. His mom had had some when she was little. We did call the ambulance but were told that next time we didn't need to. Just to watch him closely. It never happened again. It was scary, the first one I had ever seen. Just move things out of the way and wait. The above advice is so good.
MN Mom 09:26 AM 07-26-2010
My 11DD had one this winter. She went from normal, playing and then BAM insta 104+ temp. I had her lay down, administered Motrin (double adult dose), cold rag to forehead, blanket to help with shock prevention. My MIL is an EMT and lives 1mi down the road from us, so we are lucky...otherwise an ambulance would have been called. We took her to the ER as a precaution, and kept her from school for 2 days. SCARY for sure, and I'm not one who is easily scared or panicked.
Tags:fever, feveral seizure, seizures
Reply Up