Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Appendage
caligirl 10:08 AM 12-28-2011
UGGGGGGGGG.....I can't so much as twitch without this child having a cow.....13 month old.........I am in prison.....cannot even breath without this one crying......OMG separation anxiety at it's worse....100 years of doing this job and this child is by FAR the worst case ...... he won't take his eyes off me.....has to be touching me at all times.......What he wants is to be held. He doesn't care if I'm sitting there on the floor, he wants to be in my lap or arms.... And oh no, don't let any other child touch me....he gets soo angry....
cheerfuldom 10:13 AM 12-28-2011
Is he full time? I would just do serious CIO with him. At this point, he is being territorial with you and the next step will be aggression towards the other kids. You cannot just tend to him and it is better for him to get into group mode then to keep fighting for one-on-one. I have had to do this before.....just put him down and no holding, even laps, until he can handle that without regressing back to bad habits.
Heidi 11:53 AM 12-28-2011
If he is new to your dc, I would not agree with CIO at this point! Imagine it from his perspective-you are a stranger, and mommy is suddenly GONE!

Walk away for short periods, tell him you will be right back. If he follows you, have a playpen ready for a short while so that you can safely go to the bathroom or tend to another child without him hanging on you.

Gradually increase the time you are away. By the end of next week, you should already see a remarkable improvement.

When mama comes, have a little party, and remind him "Mama always comes back, YEAAAHHHH Mama! Then remind him of that during the day, as well. He just needs to figure out the routine, and he will be fine...
caligirl 08:42 AM 12-29-2011
He's not new. I've had him since he was 2 months old. He's just hit this awful 'stage'. My guess is, his parents don't put him down at home. He got here this morning at 8:00, happy as could be...big hugs and smiles......until I walked into the playroom and sat down on the floor and stood him next to me.....the flood gates opened.......I was sitting on the floor right next to him....he had his hand on my arm...but I wasn't 'holding' him so he was pissed.........so, off to his crib he went. I have his crib set up in the other room, so when he starts in and won't stop, he goes to his crib. This is getting old.
caligirl 08:45 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
When mama comes, have a little party, and remind him "Mama always comes back, YEAAAHHHH Mama! Then remind him of that during the day, as well. He just needs to figure out the routine, and he will be fine...
He's not missing mama. He's very bonded with me. I love him to death..however, you would THINK I was mama the way he's attached to me. I can't so much as move an inch without him thinking I'm leaving......and it's not just that....it's that he wants to be 'HELD"...he is HUGE.......too big and heavy for me to spend the day holding him (even if I wanted to, which I don't)....he wants me all to himself and in my arms...........
Heidi 11:38 AM 12-29-2011
sorry, I thought he was new! oops!

I thought someone was telling you to CIO with a 13mo child who just started at your dc!

Sounds like you have it under control. Maybe it's time to invest in some noise-cancelling head phones for everyone....
Tags:follower, needy, separation anxiety
Reply Up