Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice Please
luv2laugh519 04:49 PM 02-01-2012

Hey everyone I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas....I have a daycare can child who i have had since they were a infant. In the past few months behavior has gotten BAD! The child will be turning 3 soon. Child hits other children, spits, smacks, cannot sit for group activities always causing trouble. Throws everything, when he gets mad he will throw chairs big toy cars anything he can. I hope someone has some advice to help me.... I really love this child and hate to see this happening and i wanna help. Thanks
PitterPatter 05:13 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by luv2laugh519:

Hey everyone I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas....I have a daycare can child who i have had since they were a infant. In the past few months behavior has gotten BAD! The child will be turning 3 soon. Child hits other children, spits, smacks, cannot sit for group activities always causing trouble. Throws everything, when he gets mad he will throw chairs big toy cars anything he can. I hope someone has some advice to help me.... I really love this child and hate to see this happening and i wanna help. Thanks
If this is new then I would start by asking DCM if there have been any changes at home. maybe she can shed some light on why it's happening and go from there. Separation from the group is a must to avoid other getting hurt. Positive reinforcement when he is doing well. That's a start, hopefully DCM will know why and ask how she deals with it at home.

good luck!
CrayolaKids 06:56 PM 02-01-2012
I also would start by asking mom if there may be something new going on at home or any major changes that could be throwing him for a loop. That being said, even if you were to find out that there was something going on, it may not necessarily be something that is changeable iykwim? The problem is how to deal with the child and how to help him cope with his frustrations in a healthy manner. I would give him lots of positive reinforcement for good behaviors, and if he gets himself in a tizzy, get down to his level and calmly tell him that this behavior is unacceptable (pending that he isn't throwing chairs at you ) Create a "quiet zone" for him to go into, to calm himself down and let him regroup. When he is calm and ready to rejoin the group he can come out and play. With my 2yo ds, who has lots of temper tantrum issues lately, I've been trying to talk him through his frustrations..it seems to be helping some Good luck to you! It's definitely tough dealing with these kind of anger issues that seemingly come from nowhere.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 02-02-2012
It may also be time to re-evaluate your set-up.

Are there enough toys, art supplies, puzzles, books and curriculum that are mentally stimulating for his age group?

Is there plenty of opportunity to use both gross and fine motor skills?

Does he get outside for at least an hour each day? Does he get to run at all during the day?

This age is notoriously difficult.... I think whoever spead the rumor of the terrible twos never HAD a three year old....
countrymom 05:53 AM 02-02-2012
the hitting and smacking and spitting is something that needs to be addressed, like sent to the corner. Find out why he's hitting, is he the oldest of the group, is he watching power rangers at home or fighting shows at home (hmm we have kids like this) I wouldn't put up with those behaviors. It sounds to me that he's testing you, to see how far he can take it.
MsMe 07:47 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It may also be time to re-evaluate your set-up.

Are there enough toys, art supplies, puzzles, books and curriculum that are mentally stimulating for his age group?

Is there plenty of opportunity to use both gross and fine motor skills?

Does he get outside for at least an hour each day? Does he get to run at all during the day?

This age is notoriously difficult.... I think whoever spead the rumor of the terrible twos never HAD a three year old....
SO TRUE. Three is So much worse than two!!! I have 6- 4 year old boys in my program last years was the worst year of daycare EVER, and it hasnt gotten much better.
Tags:3 year old, 3 years old
Reply Up