Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside of DC Activities/Classes for Kids?
Lyss 12:08 PM 02-28-2014
I'm not sure if anyone here does but I'm wondering if anyone offers any classes outside of the daycare? As in do you take the kids to dance, gymnastics, karate, swimming, or etc classes outside of your DC home through another company?

I'm just wondering because I have DCGs (plus my DD) that are very interested in dance, DCMs have expressed interest in taking them to classes and I'd like to get DD into something but the hours all seem to be during DC not weekends

I should note I have a very small group and on the days the class is offered its literally just the ones that would be interested in the class, so I wouldn't be hauling a bunch of kids around and have not participating kids sitting around (plus I wouldn't do it if one of the DCMs said no)

If you do this: How did you begin/approach this? Do you have the parents pay you or the organization offering the lessons? Do you have a waiver or special form?
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 02-28-2014
My DCK's go to swimming lessons at the YMCA on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for 90 minutes.

(The YMCA owns a bus that comes and picks the kids up.)

They also attend a gym time every other Wednesday for 60 minutes

Participate in the Mobile Library/Reading program.

(The mobile library/teacher comes to us)

We also have a 30 minute music lesson every Tuesday afternoon.

(The music teacher comes to us as well.)
NeedaVaca 12:20 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DCK's go to swimming lessons at the YMCA on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for 90 minutes.

Wow, I didn't know you did these things,just haven't seen you mention it or I missed it! Do all the kids go or just some of them? Do the parents pay for the Y programs or do you? Music program I'm guessing you pay and library is maybe free? I like these ideas and might look into it...
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Wow, I didn't know you did these things,just haven't seen you mention it or I missed it! Do all the kids go or just some of them? Do the parents pay for the Y programs or do you? Music program I'm guessing you pay and library is maybe free? I like these ideas and might look into it...
Nah, you didn't miss it....I just don't post very much about what goes on here. I like the convos about business policies and parent management better.

However to answer your questions, the programs each have specific age requirements.

The swim and gym times are for potty trained kids aged 3 and up only. It is a separate cost to parents. ($33 per month for 8 lessons-swim and $15 for 4 gym-lessons)

The mobile library is free.

The music teacher is a previous DCP that uses my kiddos as guinea pigs for her elementary lesson plans. I had offered to pay her or reduce her costs but she declined. Her child no longer attends but she still the lessons for us and seems to love every minute of it.

I currently have an art teacher as a client and am considering asking her is she would like to do some art lessons during the summer months for my older preschoolers.

My DH does a woodshop class every month or so with the kids. This last month, they made small shelves. The kids LOVE being able to use the tools.
NeedaVaca 12:47 PM 02-28-2014
That's awesome!
Kcole1075 12:51 PM 02-28-2014
We have an amazing library program here. They have sonething for every age group and they are all free so I take the kids. During the school year I take the toddlers and pre-schoolers to a pre-school program. During the summer the older kids go to a program. They usually offer a drama one where they act out plays and make props , sometines they have a writting workshop, and sometimes they have a science camp. Also one of my girls goes to girl scouts. The registration is paid by the parents and it meets at her school so I just do my normal pick up but just at a later time

I have before done swim lessons in the summer, taken to gymnastics and bitty ball.

I make my parents aware that we go to these programs. And they all love it.
Lyss 01:33 PM 02-28-2014

Awesome!

Originally Posted by Kcole1075:
We have an amazing library program here. They have sonething for every age group and they are all free so I take the kids. During the school year I take the toddlers and pre-schoolers to a pre-school program. During the summer the older kids go to a program. They usually offer a drama one where they act out plays and make props , sometines they have a writting workshop, and sometimes they have a science camp. Also one of my girls goes to girl scouts. The registration is paid by the parents and it meets at her school so I just do my normal pick up but just at a later time

I have before done swim lessons in the summer, taken to gymnastics and bitty ball.

I make my parents aware that we go to these programp. And they all love it.

Our library offers a few small programs currently but this summer they are supposedly creating some new camps and activities because of an increase in funding
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I'm not sure if anyone here does but I'm wondering if anyone offers any classes outside of the daycare? As in do you take the kids to dance, gymnastics, karate, swimming, or etc classes outside of your DC home through another company?

I'm just wondering because I have DCGs (plus my DD) that are very interested in dance, DCMs have expressed interest in taking them to classes and I'd like to get DD into something but the hours all seem to be during DC not weekends

I should note I have a very small group and on the days the class is offered its literally just the ones that would be interested in the class, so I wouldn't be hauling a bunch of kids around and have not participating kids sitting around (plus I wouldn't do it if one of the DCMs said no)

If you do this: How did you begin/approach this? Do you have the parents pay you or the organization offering the lessons? Do you have a waiver or special form?
Are you thinking of maybe providing transportation to these activities?

Like if a bunch of kids signed up for dance, then you would just bring them all yourself as part of the services you offer?
CraftyMom 01:41 PM 02-28-2014
When the ymca bus comes do you stay behind and they are then in charge? Or do you also join? I'd like to look into this to see if my area offers anything like this. Mine are all in the 2's and under right now but in the future
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
When the ymca bus comes do you stay behind and they are then in charge? Or do you also join? I'd like to look into this to see if my area offers anything like this. Mine are all in the 2's and under right now but in the future
I hand them off to the YMCA staff and stay at daycare.

The bus returns the kids after 90 minutes.

Tues/Thur mornings are nice here then because I am left with only 3 kiddos and it is my time alone with them.

The parents can volunteer and/or observe the kids swimming but aren't required to. The ratios are one adult to every 2 and 4 kids depending on skill levels.

The lessons are progressive and meet all the Red Cross requirements.

I have a 3.5 yr old DCK that can do a perfect pencil dive. (I am so proud of him!!)

Parents love this opportunity because we live in an area where my county alone has over 1000 lakes. (MN=Land of 10,000 lakes) and knowing how to swim and having life saving skills is something every kid that lives here should know.

Also, a lot of parents don't have time to take their child to lessons so this is a nice way for working parents to fit that into their kids' lives without giving up a couple hours on the weekends.

For many of my kids, participating in the YMCA swim lessons is their first experience in a group of same aged kids away from home or daycare.

I can PM you the contact info for our swim director and you can give it to your local YMCA if they are interested in starting up a similar program.
jenboo 02:05 PM 02-28-2014
I wish I could take my kids to different classes! I have been searching for classes that will come to me but i have been having a hard time finding something. Plus I only have 6 kids so that doesnt help.
CraftyMom 02:42 PM 02-28-2014

I can PM you the contact info for our swim director and you can give it to your local YMCA if they are interested in starting up a similar program.
That would be great thanks!
childcaremom 02:46 PM 02-28-2014
I have done it in the past when we were close to our neighbourhood rec centre and could walk there. I only did the classes if everyone wanted to sign up and parents were responsible for registering/paying for their kids. It was a lot of fun for the kids and wasn't such a big deal for me to walk them over.
kathiemarie 05:21 PM 02-28-2014
I do. In the past I have done dance classes and now we are doing gymnastics. The parents pay. I have a mixed age group 3.5 and under so usually it is just for the 2.5 and older. I usually will only do it if I have 3+ kids/parents who want the classes. I drive the DCK all the time so I take them to class. I'll take walks with the littles or we play outside while class is going on. It can be a pain but the parents like it and the kids LOVE it.
Tags:external programs, paid activities, schedule, ymca
Reply Up