Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Mo Old Climbed Out Of PNP
bice99 12:26 PM 05-11-2011
Help! I have a completely crazy almost 18 month old who climbs on everything, gets into everything and screams a lot. Her only sound is "da da" and the few things she will name are all called something similar.

Today she woke up from her nap, I went up to get her. Maybe 2 minutes had gone by. I opened the door to my bedroom and the PNP was empty. I could still hear her and discovered her in my closet. She had shut the door.

I texted mom who called and said, "oh, I forgot to tell you that she did that at Grandma's on Monday." Hello, that would have been nice to know.

Anyone have any ideas for how to keep her in her PNP? She is totally not ready to be on a sleep mat. I've only ever had one other DCK climb out, but she was 2 and much more compliant so when I told her she couldn't do that, she didn't do it again. I reminded her when I put her down for her nap every day that she had to stay in her bed.

Please help.
ChaserT27 12:42 PM 05-11-2011
For my little climbers :0) I use the bug nets for play pens. They seem to work perfectly. I can see and hear all the kids, but it gives me the security while I am doing dishes etc that the little bugger will not be crawling out.
They are maybe 4 or 5 dollars a piece and seem to do the trick.
Cat Herder 01:15 PM 05-11-2011
It is really unafe to keep them in PNP's without constant visual supervision once they can climb out. Here it is not even legally allowed, this child would be required to be on a mat.

At 18 months, she is well old and developed enough to learn to nap on a mat although I undertand the timing may be bad for your program.

If you intend to keep her in one I would recommend plain old consistency. Everytime she stands up you walk over and lay her back down. PNP's are for sleeping only, no toys, no climbing, no standing.

She will eventually get it. Good luck!!
Symphony 01:23 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It is really unafe to keep them in PNP's without constant visual supervision once they can climb out. Here it is not even legally allowed, this child would be required to be on a mat.

At 18 months, she is well old and developed enough to learn to nap on a mat although I undertand the timing may be bad for your program.

If you intend to keep her in one I would recommend plain old consistency. Everytime she stands up you walk over and lay her back down. PNP's are for sleeping only, no toys, no climbing, no standing.

She will eventually get it. Good luck!!
Totally agree. One way or the other you are going to be spending some time on this, but whichever you choose will work! I keep my kids in PNPs as long as possible, but I teach them from very early that they are not allowed to touch the sides. Sitting and laying down are fine, but standing is not. Same concept with mats. You stay on it until I say you are done.
youretooloud 02:57 PM 05-11-2011
I had a kid who did this too. We called him Bam-Bam. Cute as a bug, but a holey terror. (he's on my facebook, and he's HUGE now... he must be six foot seven and way over 200 lbs.... he looks like Bam Bam all grown up)

For two days, I sheeted him in. Take a twin bed sheet, put two corners under the wheel, then the other corners under the feet of the pack n play. But, then I got a baby monitor and used that... every time I heard him move, I'd leap around the corner and say "WHATAREYOUDOINNNNNNN?" and he'd throw himself back down again. LOL

But, he was escaping before he fell asleep, not after waking up. It was a long time before he could sleep in the playroom with the kids. I usually put them in here way before age two, but he wouldn't sleep, or be quiet so anybody else could sleep.
Unregistered 07:22 PM 05-17-2011
18 months?!

I work with 15-20 month olds, and they ALL sleep on cots. They can also talk and most of them are starting to speak in 2-word sentences by the time they are 18-months-old.
JenNJ 05:30 AM 05-18-2011
I'd move him to a nap mat. I would want to take the chance of injury.

To the person who suggested putting a sheet over the top: Sheeting a child in is a BAD idea. If the child gets their neck or head stuck, they can easily suffocate. Also, you are cutting out air circulation. Sleep areas are designed specifically for proper air flow When kids are asleep. A sheet placed on top or on the sides is dangerous.
wdmmom 06:14 AM 05-18-2011
I had a climber too. I moved him to a cot. The first week was awful...up 10 times in the first hour of naptime...ugh! After that, it seemed like second nature to him!

If you aren't going to transition to a mat/cot, I would definitely have a camera system on the child!

I got a 2 camera system at a local hardware store for $120. It connects through the AV cables in the back of my TV and works great! Best $$ ever spent!
emosks 06:20 AM 05-18-2011
We moved our climber to the cot. We have a video monitor on him so we know if he's getting out or not.
SilverSabre25 06:28 AM 05-18-2011
I have a boy who was a climber when he started with me. The first day, it took me over 45 minutes (might have been more like well over an hour--I blocked the details, lol) to get him to stay laying down long enough to fall asleep. Each time he stood up and started to try and climb out, I laid him back down. He screamed and cried, but I kept it up. He stood up, I laid him back down. Sometimes he'd be up again before I could even turn back around. Eventually, he got the idea and started laying himself back down before I could do more than step in his direction. Finally he fell asleep.

The next day, it took maybe 20 minutes.

The next week, it was about ten, and I mostly just had to watch him until he was sleeping.

Eventually (a couple months down the road) I was able to stick him in and walk away. He's my best napper now.
bice99 09:34 AM 05-18-2011
Thanks for all of the suggestions. DCG's mom ordered a Peapod Plus from Amazong (I actually ordered since I have free shipping, but she picked it out and gave me her CC #). It showed up yesterday. Today is DCG's first day in it. When DCM was here, DCG went inside and was pushing against the sides trying to knock it over. She and her mom thought it was funny. DCM left and I put it in the napping room where I have a video monitor. Nap time came. DCG went in happily. Moved around bedding some, like she always has in her PNP, and went to sleep. Now we'll see how long she stays asleep. BTW - I have all of the sides rolled up so she has mesh on the 4 sides. When I zipped it shut, I made sure the interior zipper pulls were on the outside.
JenNJ 10:34 AM 05-18-2011
Let us know how it works out!
Tags:climbers, pack n play, pack n play - for infants
Reply Up