Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Charge For Your Vacation Time?
Unregistered 04:06 AM 05-20-2011
I am wondering how some of you charge when you take vacation, or if you charge or not.

Right now, I charge whether the family is here or not, vacations, holidays, sick days included. I do not charge for my vacation days that I take or my sick days. And while in the past 2 years I have not taken a whole week off, but only a day here or two days there, I do have 3 families that did pay me for those days I took off.

In my 12 years, I have never charged a late pickup fee, or an early drop off fee. My rates are low, $135 for 2 kids ft, $85 for 1 kid ft. Low I now, but average rates for my area.

I am getting very frustrated with some of my families. I have 1 family in particular that occassionally drops off 40 min early, or picks up 15/20 min late. I never charge them anything extra. But, when it comes to me taking a vacation day, they always deduct it from my pay. Yet, I NEVER charge them any extra when they show up early or late. Another family, they have started to pick up 30 to 60 min later than normal, again, I don't charge them any extra ever.

Why is it that a family thinks it is ok to drop off early and pick up late and not pay any extra, but when I take a day off, they deduct my pay.

I have seriously considered going to a flat fee 52 weeks a year. Where I would get paid the same amount each week, even if I took a vacation week/day/or was sick. Of coarse I would limit myself to say 15 days total, which would equal to approx 8 holidays and 7 vacation days. Do any of you do this? I am not sure how it would fly here, but I am getting tired of how some take advantage of me, then when I need a day off or am sick, which very rarely happens, they deduct a days pay.

And, what I have found, are the ones who deduct are the ones who just purchased $250,000 homes, purchased over $50,000 in vehicles in the past 2 years, go on 1 or 2 vacations every year. I am getting tired of trying to have to justify what I do and how I get paid.
momofboys 05:10 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am wondering how some of you charge when you take vacation, or if you charge or not.

Right now, I charge whether the family is here or not, vacations, holidays, sick days included. I do not charge for my vacation days that I take or my sick days. And while in the past 2 years I have not taken a whole week off, but only a day here or two days there, I do have 3 families that did pay me for those days I took off.

In my 12 years, I have never charged a late pickup fee, or an early drop off fee. My rates are low, $135 for 2 kids ft, $85 for 1 kid ft. Low I now, but average rates for my area.

I am getting very frustrated with some of my families. I have 1 family in particular that occassionally drops off 40 min early, or picks up 15/20 min late. I never charge them anything extra. But, when it comes to me taking a vacation day, they always deduct it from my pay. Yet, I NEVER charge them any extra when they show up early or late. Another family, they have started to pick up 30 to 60 min later than normal, again, I don't charge them any extra ever.

Why is it that a family thinks it is ok to drop off early and pick up late and not pay any extra, but when I take a day off, they deduct my pay.

I have seriously considered going to a flat fee 52 weeks a year. Where I would get paid the same amount each week, even if I took a vacation week/day/or was sick. Of coarse I would limit myself to say 15 days total, which would equal to approx 8 holidays and 7 vacation days. Do any of you do this? I am not sure how it would fly here, but I am getting tired of how some take advantage of me, then when I need a day off or am sick, which very rarely happens, they deduct a days pay.

And, what I have found, are the ones who deduct are the ones who just purchased $250,000 homes, purchased over $50,000 in vehicles in the past 2 years, go on 1 or 2 vacations every year. I am getting tired of trying to have to justify what I do and how I get paid.
I would honestly change your policies to charge late fees!!!! Aside from that I do not charge for my own vacations/holidays off. Don;t be taken advantage of. . . . there is no reason for you to watch these kids an extra hour or so a day. They are doing it b/c you have not attached money to
the time. I would write something up saying that effective such and such a date all early & late drop-offs/pick-ups are now subject to a fee & make it high enough that parents won't take advantage.
MyAngels 05:39 AM 05-20-2011
Yes, you just need to make a policy change. Charge early drop off fees, and late fees for picking up late. If you want to get paid for vacation time and sick time, do that, too. Don't vary from your policies even once, though, or they will try to make it a regular thing.

I give two weeks of unpaid vacation to each family per year, but they are required to give a full two weeks notice to use the unpaid time. I give myself two weeks paid vacation time each year, and I say in my contract that I will give "as much notice as possible" which covers me if it's something last minute that I need to take off for. No one has ever given me any grief for time that I take off, and most families don't use both of the two weeks that they are entitled to use.
lucky 05:54 AM 05-20-2011
I get paid full price 52 weeks per year. I am paid for two weeks vacation and all major holidays. I do not give parents any free days. If they are absent they are still required to pay the full rate. If anyone questions it I just explain if you buy a boat and only use it 4 months out of the year you still need to make payments for all 12 months. I haven't had anybody not chose my services because of it.
Mom_of_two 06:09 AM 05-20-2011
I do give parents 5 free days (to use when child is in care, not to cash out at the end) and I do not charge if I have to close for my illness or my kids illness. Otherwise I take paid holidays (TG and Xmas 2 and 3 days plus others) and 5 paid vacay days and 5 unpaid vacay days.

I have some parents that just don't use their free days, and others that choose to pay when I am sick!

I do not do late fees. If a family has an issue with that I just will not work with them anymore, which I explain in the beginning. Not willing to stress myself out.
Zoe 06:24 AM 05-20-2011
I used to do 1 week of vacation paid, but then changed it because I really needed that week between Christmas and New Years to recover from Christmas and 3 birthday celebrations.

So now I do 2 weeks that I charge half rate. It seems fair to me.
SimpleMom 06:31 AM 05-20-2011
no. just 5 days sick/personal time per yr. i just save up so much per week to have for use on my vacations.
PitterPatter 06:40 AM 05-20-2011
No I wish! State paid clients here, they only pay for the actual time they are here nothing more.
daycare 08:22 AM 05-20-2011
Times are changing and looks like you need to change with the times. As others have said attach fees to early /late.
I do and patents try it once get a bill and then never do it again. Of course I am flexible too. I charge it on a case by case basis.
If you want to see my Early/late policy I can share it with you
momma2girls 08:36 AM 05-20-2011
I have paid Holidays and 2 week vac. days in my contract.
I do not give free days for families(way too much to keep track of)
I do give 1/2 off on Winter breaks, Sprink Breaks, and a holding fee for the summer. Since I have all teachers.
MN Day Mom 09:17 AM 05-20-2011
I get all basic Holidays and two weeks of paid vacation per year. I don't charge for my sick days or other late notice closings... that said, most of my families still pay me for those days.

** I don't give free days but do discount for winter and summer breaks.
lil angels 10:31 AM 05-20-2011
I have all paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation a year paid. I don't charge people if i am sick though and I haven't closed sick in two years.
momma2girls 10:40 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I have all paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation a year paid. I don't charge people if i am sick though and I haven't closed sick in two years.
If I am sick or my children are- I do not charge, I take it unpaid or out of my paid vac. I have closed 1 time in 8 yrs. now for my little girl having Inluenza B-
Tia 11:15 AM 05-20-2011
write a letter to the families informing the parents that you do not charge for the extra days their children are kept in the month or the extra hours. for instance some months have 4 weeks and 2 days and those are days they receive free and do not pay for and for those days you will be paid for vacation so charge your regular rates even for your vacation time off.
Tags:charge, vacation
Reply Up