Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Do Partime Care?
Unregistered 11:56 AM 12-15-2009
I was wondering how any of you do part time care. Currently I have a minimum of 3 days for part time. I do have them put in the contract what days they will be here and they can add a day for the additonal daily rate. If they are not here one of those contracted days they still pay for the day, and if they then want to bring them a different day if I have the availablity then they can with the added fee. However, I like to be "nice" and work with parents so I have "switched" days for them, so if they are contracted mon, wed, friday, but they said can I switch monday for tuesday, if I can do it I'll just switch the days. I'll say ok this time that's fine, my husband thinks that I'm "flexing" my rules too much and should just stick by my contract and switch but still charge them for the 4th day. I see his point it's a business and if I got a call for a drop in them I'm kind of screwed, but I also like to be flexible. So I was just curious how others of you do your part time. I need to word it better in my contract I think but I'm also changing my contract, after my one part timer leaves who is 4 days from now on 4 days will be the full week rate. If I do that and they want a 5th day sometimes do you do that or only if you have the availability and do you charge them for the 5th day or because they would be the full time rate at 4 days is it the same?
jen 12:09 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was wondering how any of you do part time care. Currently I have a minimum of 3 days for part time. I do have them put in the contract what days they will be here and they can add a day for the additonal daily rate. If they are not here one of those contracted days they still pay for the day, and if they then want to bring them a different day if I have the availablity then they can with the added fee. However, I like to be "nice" and work with parents so I have "switched" days for them, so if they are contracted mon, wed, friday, but they said can I switch monday for tuesday, if I can do it I'll just switch the days. I'll say ok this time that's fine, my husband thinks that I'm "flexing" my rules too much and should just stick by my contract and switch but still charge them for the 4th day. I see his point it's a business and if I got a call for a drop in them I'm kind of screwed, but I also like to be flexible. So I was just curious how others of you do your part time. I need to word it better in my contract I think but I'm also changing my contract, after my one part timer leaves who is 4 days from now on 4 days will be the full week rate. If I do that and they want a 5th day sometimes do you do that or only if you have the availability and do you charge them for the 5th day or because they would be the full time rate at 4 days is it the same?
I don't do part-time anymore, but when I did I charged a flat rate.

4-5 days was considered full time, weekly rate then was $125
3 or less day was $90, additional days at $30 per day.

I don't take drop ins, so they were free to pick the 3 days at will, but I needed to know by Friday at pick up what the schedule was for next week.
AmandasFCC 12:20 PM 12-15-2009
I do part time care as long as it's consistent on a weekly basis (meaning every week is the same). If schedules are unpredictable they pay for a full time space.
gbcc 12:55 PM 12-15-2009
I only do part time care if the days are the same every wk. They have the option to call and see if the day is available but I do not guarentee a spot. I also let them know hat if I have the opportunity to fill the spot for full time I will. They do have the option to pay a full time rate and then I will guarentee the spot for them. If the days and hours vary they are required to pay a full time rate. I have 2 part time now, but they pay me full time because they love it here and don't want to risk me filling the spot with full time income. I explain to the parents they are paying for the spot not the care involved.
Unregistered 01:50 PM 12-15-2009
See that's what I'm suppose to do but I feel bad then let them switch if I have the availability, so with this family I have part time, I don't think they expect it but they ask a fair amount but I let them know that I may not have the opening. Last week if made me mad but it's my fault I allowed it with hesitation and she knew but 4 weeks prior they asked if they could change their schedule for last week, I authorized it said yes that's fine, well Monday came and they said, well things have changed, I messed up so can he come the extra day too, I said yes they paid for it, then tuesday she called and said oh never mind I shouldn't even ask, I said oh what is it, she said well I got a call from a family member who wants to now come up friday and see him, and I was going to see if I can never mind friday and credit it to the following week, I hesitated and said well this time that's fine and why it's easy some times for me is because fridays are generally my light day and so sometimes to keep that I let them make changes, my husband was livid with me, I should have made her pay for it and not credit it to this week but I like to be flexible but I know that I need to get a backbone and stand up for what I should be doing. I'm not going to do the part time anymore, 3 days but same they will give me the schedule once set and paid for that's it, changes they'll pay. 4 days will be full time from now on.
gbcc 02:42 PM 12-15-2009
Well, personally this is how I would handle that situation. I would give them 2 choices.

choice 1 - They pay full time and come when they need to. Same full time rate each wk no matter what or how many days. They must notify you by the previous Friday what days will be needed.

Choice 2 - They pay the part time rate and when they need to switch days they pay for the extra day. Not switch, but compensate you. You can give them a discount on the day but maybe this will encourage them to be more reliable with their schedule.

I used to make exceptions as well but found that I became angry and didn't say anything just kept allowing it. Then I became bitter so I began to follow thru on my policies. Parents now know what to expect and don't try to scape around the policies.
kiddiecare 03:21 PM 12-15-2009
I charge a part time flat fee and part time hours are 1-20, anything over 20 is full time. I also have it stated that i do not do credits, they pay for what they contract for and if they want care outside those hours or days they pay IF i choose to accept them the extra day(s). If you want it to stop then send out a letter stating that you will be adhering strictly to your contract and that any extra days 'requested' will be at your discretion and they will pay the drop in rate (mines $30 a day for 1-8 hours), state that you will no longer credit days that they were absent nor trade them for non contracted days. I also have a clause in my handbook that at any time i can change or modify any of my terms. So if i was you I'd send that letter out now stating that it is effective immidiately. It will just get worse if you dont.
momma2girls 05:17 PM 12-15-2009
This is what is in my contract now- Every child must be contracted 3-5 days per week. Also the day of the week, ex. Mon., Wed., Fri. as well. I will do daycare for your child on other noncontracted days only if I have an opening that day and there will be additional charge for this.
Tags:part time
Reply Up