Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>They Won't Eat!
Country Kids 01:29 PM 07-13-2012
I'm at a loss and need ideas please. My group is refusing to eat and its becoming a battle I don't want to go through.

We eat at 8:00, 10:00 and 12:30. Everyone just wants to goof off, get down, whine, bother everyone, etc. They all just eat a little bit and then want to be done. One will only take maybe two bites then WHINE (in the nails on chalkboard voice) over and over how they are done and want to get down.

Another thing is they won't drink! I'm worried about them being dehydrated as its in the 90's here but maybe a sip or two and then they are done.

After we eat at 8:00, we go for a 1/2 mile walk. We leave about 9:00 and get back at 10:00. We then make snack and attempt to eat. Then we go straight outside till 12:00. Come in and get ready for lunch but they still really don't want to eat.

Any suggestions?
pootmcgoot 01:52 PM 07-13-2012
My daughter has been doing this. If she refuses to eat or drink when offered she will go with out. She has to learn that she can't graze all day. New dcb does this too. They'll be hungry enough sooner than later.

I used to offer her food more often but it just made her worse. Sounds harsh but I refuse to put up with tantrums or have her walk all over me when she does decide she wants food.
Wigglesandgiggles 02:12 PM 07-13-2012
I feed my dcks at 7-8 ish, then again at 11:30. I would suggest cutting out morning snack. All my dcks are snacking at home around 6:30 am. Then they get breakfast here at about 8. If you are offering again at 10, that may be too much for them.
Hunni Bee 03:42 PM 07-13-2012
I was going to say cut out morning snack, but someone beat me to it. I used to do morning snack years ago, but too much lunch was going in the trash.

OR

If you can, decrease portion sizes. Some providers are on the food program and have specified portion sizes. If you arent, decrease the portion sizes to a couple teaspoons of everything. They can always get more. Snack is literally just something to put in your mouth- three crackers, a couple chunks of fruit and something to drink. No seconds. If you're serving on regular-sized plates, get some kid-sized sectioned plates. It's easier for kids to clear a plate section by section. Serve only milk and water, no juice.

These are just things that helped me when I had a group of non-eaters. I have a great eaters now - they even ate raw squash and zucchini for lunch today.

Some people (like my director) have problems not filling kid's plates up and then the food goes in the trash. Kids sometimes get overwhelmed by just seeing more food than they can handle and wont try.
Country Kids 04:43 PM 07-13-2012
I use dessert size plates and give small servings for snack/lunch.

The breakfast thing doesn't make sense to me because I get some here at 6:30 right out of bed and parents bring food. They won't eat that either and you would think by 8:00 they would be starving! Its really not snack and lunch but breakfast also.
Meyou 03:23 AM 07-14-2012
I don't know if this will help but I was having some food struggles last year and what worked was immediately asking them to leave the table and go play the first time they acted up. They DID NOT like not having the option to squirm, whine and complain away because ultimately they were hungry. It took a few weeks and lots of hungry belly complaints but my whole group eats well now.
WImom 04:42 AM 07-14-2012
I'd say cut out snack for a while too. Have you tried fun foods/drinks yet? Like Smoothies, homemade fruit popcicles, gogurts type yogurt, sandwiches cut with cookie cutter, etc?

Maybe if it's fun they will forget they are being stubborn eaters and then you can go back to regular food??

This is a hard one.
Heidi 05:18 AM 07-14-2012
Originally Posted by Wigglesandgiggles:
I feed my dcks at 7-8 ish, then again at 11:30. I would suggest cutting out morning snack. All my dcks are snacking at home around 6:30 am. Then they get breakfast here at about 8. If you are offering again at 10, that may be too much for them.
Country-it sounds like your schedule is ready for a re-do!

Delay breakfast just a little, cut out the morning snack, serve lunch early (3 hours after breakast is officially over, per food program req.), and start nap earlier. Enjoy a longer quiet afternoon.

Breakfast 8:30-9:00
Lunch 12:00-12:30
Nap 12:30-3:30
PM Snack: 3:30

We are allowed to meet dinner requirements here and claim this as a dinner. If your state allows this, do it, because it really ups your $. I usually do cheese and crackers, 2 fruits and/or raw vegies, and milk. Or yogurt, cottage cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter and then the other components.

If possible, sit with the kids at meals, and slowly introduce family style dinning. You have a bigger group, right? Not sure if that's realistic for you, then..

Sounds like you had a pretty crappy Friday! Enjoy your weekend...
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up