Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Get a Flu Each Shot?
Yes - every year 23 33.33%
No 35 50.72%
Considering it this year! 2 2.90%
Sometimes 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Get A Flu Shot Personally?
kitykids3 10:56 AM 01-08-2013
I have only gotten one flu shot my entire 18 years of adult life. That was because a parent paid for it 2 years ago. I have only gotten the flu once in 20 years. This year a parent is saying it is pretty bad and was insisting of me getting one.
Just curious how many of you get them? Every year?
Heidi 11:00 AM 01-08-2013
Never had one, either. I've gotten the flu a couple times over my lifetime. I guess until it gets to the point where I can't fight it (being older or frailer), I wont get one. I guess I tend to think that immunzations are great-for life threatening/altering illnesses, but I never really thought of influenza that way.

If I had a child in my care with a compromised immune system, I'd probably do it for him or her.
sharlan 11:00 AM 01-08-2013
I have never had a flu shot. I don't think I've ever had the flu with a fever, chills, etc.
laundrymom 11:02 AM 01-08-2013
Nope. And I don't plan on it. I've got pretty un-politically correct views on some things, this is one of them. Lol.
Country Kids 11:08 AM 01-08-2013
I never have had one but this year they are urging EVERYONE to get one. Usually its for the very young and old but this year they are saying its best for everyone to get it.

Heidi, in the early 1900's I believe I know there was a huge outbreak and I can't remember how many but I believe it was in the thousands that died from the influenza. Of course they didn't have the shot back then.

I do know though that people do die from the flu and it makes me wonder why? You don't think throwing up/diarehha is going to kill you but I guess we never know.
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

If I had a child in my care with a compromised immune system, I'd probably do it for him or her.
My hubs has diabetes so because of his compromised immune system, I do get one every year.

If it weren't for him, I don't know if I would bother. I am a pretty healthy person. ONE sick day since the day I opened.
Solandia 11:34 AM 01-08-2013
It depends on the year. I think I have had maybe 6 flu shots my entire life.

My first one I went with my grandma...she was having lots of issues, and ended up on dialysis that year, so to protect her. One year, I had a preemie dck. Another year was when my girls first got dx'ed with asthma. Another year after my one dd had pnuemonia 4 times. Another year after my other dd had strep throat 5x.

We had h1n1 go through the daycare& our house right before it hit the media...that sucked big time. The little kids did okay, my bff was in the hospital having her baby & got it right after. So we did get the flu vax that next year only because dh & I still had bronchitits issues that whole summer into the fall...it took a long time to get back to 100%.
kitykids3 11:41 AM 01-08-2013
Well, I've got sickness induced asthma, don't pick up everything tho, but also have 3 preemies. Maybe I should get one?
Heidi 11:48 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I never have had one but this year they are urging EVERYONE to get one. Usually its for the very young and old but this year they are saying its best for everyone to get it.

Heidi, in the early 1900's I believe I know there was a huge outbreak and I can't remember how many but I believe it was in the thousands that died from the influenza. Of course they didn't have the shot back then.

I do know though that people do die from the flu and it makes me wonder why? You don't think throwing up/diarehha is going to kill you but I guess we never know.
True influenza is NOT throwing up,etc. It's like a cold on steroids...aches, chills, fever, etc.

Here is the flu you were talking about, from History.com:

The influenza or flu pandemic of 1918 to 1919, the deadliest in modern history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide--about one-third of the planet’s population at the time--and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims. More than 25 percent of the U.S. population became sick, and some 675,000 Americans died during the pandemic. The 1918 flu was first observed in Europe, the U.S. and parts of Asia before swiftly spreading around the world. Surprisingly, many flu victims were young, otherwise healthy adults. At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain or prevent its spread. In the U.S., citizens were ordered to wear masks, and schools, theaters and other public places were shuttered. Researchers later discovered what made the 1918 pandemic so deadly: In many victims, the influenza virus had invaded their lungs and caused pneumonia.

I remember when there was the flu a couple years ago, the main concern was similar; that's it's not the old and the weak who will be most affected. It's people with healthy immune systems. That goes against our idea of what we THINK should happen. It makes me actually consider the vaccine.
Heidi 11:50 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
Well, I've got sickness induced asthma, don't pick up everything tho, but also have 3 preemies. Maybe I should get one?
I'd say so!
MNMum 11:58 AM 01-08-2013
Our family was the perfect little science experiment this year. My husband and I are required to get one for work (he's in the Army, I'm a NICU RN). Usually we have our kids get them. This year I decided not to have them vaccinated. 2 of the 3 got the Flu. It was bad, temps of 103, neither ate anything for 5-7 days. Also, they are contagious for up to a week. Luckily it happened over the New Year's holiday, so my oldest only missed one day of school. Could they fight it again, probably. But it also means missing 5-7 days of school or work, per child. I was glad I got the vaccination this year.
saved4always 12:12 PM 01-08-2013
I usually get one. Although I have never had the true flu, I feel better getting the vaccination with all the little runny noses that get wiped all over me everyday. I am kind of germaphobic.
countrymom 12:21 PM 01-08-2013
nope never ever, don't believe in it.
Hazel 12:24 PM 01-08-2013
I don't get it. I only got the shot ONCE and got a different strain of the flu that same year! That was the ONLY time I got the shot and the ONLY time I got the flu...l
But I will say, a DCM of mine is a pediatric and geriatric physicians assistant and said a few weeks ago that kids are coming in left and right with it and the elderly at the nursing homes where she does rotations are "dropping like flies" and has even had a few patients in the homes (not hers) die from it. She hasn't asked me to get one (and I wouldn't) bc her kids have had them. Im conflicted....
I make my own elderberry syrup with honey and apple cider vinegar and take it twice a day as well as 500mg of vitamin C twice a day. I rarely get sick
Michael 12:26 PM 01-08-2013
Nope, don't go them. I eat verywell and try not to eat processed foods, and take the sickness if it comes. I'm all about letting the immune system do its thing. My cold or flu last from a few hours to a couple days.

My daughter was just bedridden with the flu. It lasted a couple days. Raw, milk and egg smoothies and no medication. She is fine today.

Not saying you shouldn't take a flu shot. It's a personal choice. Whatever works got you. The OP could have put up a yes or no poll.
Country Kids 12:26 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
True influenza is NOT throwing up,etc. It's like a cold on steroids...aches, chills, fever, etc.

Here is the flu you were talking about, from History.com:

The influenza or flu pandemic of 1918 to 1919, the deadliest in modern history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide--about one-third of the planet’s population at the time--and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims. More than 25 percent of the U.S. population became sick, and some 675,000 Americans died during the pandemic. The 1918 flu was first observed in Europe, the U.S. and parts of Asia before swiftly spreading around the world. Surprisingly, many flu victims were young, otherwise healthy adults. At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain or prevent its spread. In the U.S., citizens were ordered to wear masks, and schools, theaters and other public places were shuttered. Researchers later discovered what made the 1918 pandemic so deadly: In many victims, the influenza virus had invaded their lungs and caused pneumonia.

I remember when there was the flu a couple years ago, the main concern was similar; that's it's not the old and the weak who will be most affected. It's people with healthy immune systems. That goes against our idea of what we THINK should happen. It makes me actually consider the vaccine.
I think there was a big outbreak possibly in the 70's where alot of people died from it also. I think I remember something like that.

Maybe I'll buck it up and go get it but wondering if I will get something else instead (a different strain).
Nickel 12:38 PM 01-08-2013
I've never had the flu, although I did get the vaccine when I was active duty military because it was required. When I did get it I ended up with bronchitis both times, so I decided to not do it again. Have had no severe illness since and it's been almost 10 years
kitykids3 12:48 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Nope, don't go them. I eat verywell and try not to eat processed foods, and take the sickness if it comes. I'm all about letting the immune system do its thing. My cold or flu last from a few hours to a couple days.

My daughter was just bedridden with the flu. It lasted a couple days. Raw, milk and egg smoothies and no medication. She is fine today.

Not saying you shouldn't take a flu shot. It's a personal choice. Whatever works got you. The OP could have put up a yes or no poll.
Sorry, hadn't thought about a yes or no poll.
Willow 12:51 PM 01-08-2013
The one year I got one, was the one year I got it. That made up my mind.

My kids have never gotten one, and this year the first year they got it so I believe it's true what they're saying about it being a really bad year for it.
Country Kids 12:56 PM 01-08-2013
I do know people use to get sick from it because they used a live virus-could that be the reason a few of you guys got the flu when vaccinated?

Could be the connection-
Country Kids 12:59 PM 01-08-2013
Weird question-those that have never had the flu-do you live where its really warm? I question if thats part of it because here where its cold and we are all couped up through the winter with less fresh air makes me wonder if we just pass the germs around more.

I did hear though the reason its so bad is its been a dry year and the germs are hanging around longer. I know its been pretty rainy/snowy/cold in alot of places so I wasn't understanding the dry part much.
Holiday Park 01:00 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Nope. And I don't plan on it. I've got pretty un-politically correct views on some things, this is one of them. Lol.
Same here .
Willow 01:02 PM 01-08-2013
Weird question-those that have never had the flu-do you live where its really warm?
Far from it!
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Far from it!
same here.

I heard on Good Morning America yesterday that the hardest hit areas for flu and flu related deaths is around the Great Lakes areas. I have no idea as to why but that is what they said.
spud912 01:32 PM 01-08-2013
Weird question-those that have never had the flu-do you live where its really warm? I question if thats part of it because here where its cold and we are all couped up through the winter with less fresh air makes me wonder if we just pass the germs around more.

I did hear though the reason its so bad is its been a dry year and the germs are hanging around longer. I know its been pretty rainy/snowy/cold in alot of places so I wasn't understanding the dry part much.
This is actually documented and researched as being true. The reason there is a flu-season is because it is the time of year where people are in closer proximity, therefore it spreads easier and faster. The flu (and any other illness for that matter) is around throughout the year but is more prevalent during cooler months.

I worked very closely with public health at my last job and it was noted that while illnesses teetered off in the summer for most areas of the US, we tend to still have a good amount of illness in the summer months. Unlike other areas, our summer months are when we are in close proximity because everyone is inside in air conditioning (temps in the summer are over 100, sometimes in the 110's). In the fall, winter and spring, we have beautiful moderate weather and people tend to spend more time outdoors.
Country Kids 01:43 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
This is actually documented and researched as being true. The reason there is a flu-season is because it is the time of year where people are in closer proximity, therefore it spreads easier and faster. The flu (and any other illness for that matter) is around throughout the year but is more prevalent during cooler months.

I worked very closely with public health at my last job and it was noted that while illnesses teetered off in the summer for most areas of the US, we tend to still have a good amount of illness in the summer months. Unlike other areas, our summer months are when we are in close proximity because everyone is inside in air conditioning (temps in the summer are over 100, sometimes in the 110's). In the fall, winter and spring, we have beautiful moderate weather and people tend to spend more time outdoors.
What I found weird though is they said its hitting much earlier this year/last year (Dec/Jan) so I was wondering when the true "flu season" was.

We have hot summers here also but everyone is outside! We get so much rain and cold in the winters that no one can stand to be inside when the sun is out-
laundrymom 01:45 PM 01-08-2013

I live between Indianapolis& Kalamazoo. I believe in good diet, exercise and limited sanitization of homes. I'm clean. But I don't kill all our germs. I also get the kids active, sweating, and happy. I truly think it keeps us healthier. I wash hands and bedding more than most everyone I know though.
spud912 01:50 PM 01-08-2013
If there are a few things I learned in my life, they are:

When I was a healthyteenager, I had a horrible case of the flu in the middle of summer. I was completely bed-ridden for 5 days, could not eat or drink, ended up on IV fluids in the emergency room, battling a fever of 104/105. During these 5 days, there were times in which I was actually delirious and hallucinating, there were times that I violently shook with shivers, there were times that I was soaked in sweat. I was very active at the time and ate extremely well (so health was not a concern). I also had not been ill in 8 years with anything significant at all.

The next time I fell ill (mind you, 9 years later), I ended up being hospitalized and lost 20 pounds in a matter of one month (and I was a healthy weight before so by the time I started recuperating I was underweight). It took MONTHS to fully recover from that one! It started with strep throat, which resulted in a lower immunity. Next thing I knew, I had mono, valley fever and several other minor illnesses (sinusitis and gastritis). I was completely bed ridden for a month and had a very hard time getting back on my feet.

Also, who knew that a very minor cold would have caused my odd to end up in a life-threatening condition? Her cold developed into an ear infection. Well, unbeknownst to us, she was severely allergic to the antibiotics she was given and we ended up in the hospital multiple times. She was swollen and covered in welts for weeks!

Needless to say, I take medical advice seriously and try to take any recommended precautions to minimize any serious repercussions. You really never know what hand you will be given in life (despite how healthy you have been for the past decade(s)).
Country Kids 01:52 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I live between Indianapolis& Kalamazoo. I believe in good diet, exercise and limited sanitization of homes. I'm clean. But I don't kill all our germs. I also get the kids active, sweating, and happy. I truly think it keeps us healthier. I wash hands and bedding more than most everyone I know though.
Funny you mention bedding as I was reading that people that shower at night are less likely to be sick and suffer from allergies. Its because you go to bed clean/clean bed. You get everything off from that day not the previous day.
WDW 01:56 PM 01-08-2013
Get one every year. Between the kids I'm around, hubbys exposure at work and the kids at school... can't imagine not. Never had a problem with it.
melilley 02:05 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
The one year I got one, was the one year I got it. That made up my mind.

My kids have never gotten one, and this year the first year they got it so I believe it's true what they're saying about it being a really bad year for it.
So true, I never have my daughter get one and the one time I did, she was sick!
bunnyslippers 02:08 PM 01-08-2013
I got one, in 1997. Two weeks later, I was completely blind in my right eye. It is suspected that the flu shot kick-started an autoimmune illness in my body that attacks my eyes and my brain. Until the flu shot, I had perfect vision in both eyes, and had never had a serious medical illness.

Since the flu shot, I have lost my vision in one eye, almost lost it in the other, had a brain tumor, developed arthritis, and have psoriasis. I am only 37...I should not have this many illnesses!

Any time that I have been approached by a medical doctor to get the flu shot (due to pregnancy, suppressed immune system, line of work, etc.) once I tell them my story, the standard response is "Never mind. We have drugs to fight against the flu."

I am nervous this year...but I will never introduce that drug into my body, or my childrens' bodies, ever again.
countrymom 03:13 PM 01-08-2013
funny thing is, that the kids that get the flu shot here are always sick. The ones that don't rarely get sick. I started to notice this a while a go. I live where its cold, but I think the cold would kill any germs we have.
Country Kids 03:23 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
funny thing is, that the kids that get the flu shot here are always sick. The ones that don't rarely get sick. I started to notice this a while a go. I live where its cold, but I think the cold would kill any germs we have.
From what I'm understanding it doesn't have anything to do with temp. factor. It seems to be more about the moisture in the air I guess. They were saying something about it being a dry year so its not killing the germs.
lovemykidstoo 04:02 PM 01-08-2013
Funny you mention bedding as I was reading that people that shower at night are less likely to be sick and suffer from allergies. Its because you go to bed clean/clean bed. You get everything off from that day not the previous day.
Maybe that's why I never get sick because I shower before going to bed. I honestly rarely get sick. I got pneumonia 3 years ago and that's the sickest I've ever been. I did get the flu shot twice after that, but didn't get one this year. I have not had the vomit sickness for as long as I can remember. It's probably been 25 years. I do firmly believe in airing out the house once a week though. I open windows randomly throughout and leave them open for an hour just to get fresh air in.
Michael 04:17 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I got one, in 1997. Two weeks later, I was completely blind in my right eye. It is suspected that the flu shot kick-started an autoimmune illness in my body that attacks my eyes and my brain. Until the flu shot, I had perfect vision in both eyes, and had never had a serious medical illness.

Since the flu shot, I have lost my vision in one eye, almost lost it in the other, had a brain tumor, developed arthritis, and have psoriasis. I am only 37...I should not have this many illnesses!

Any time that I have been approached by a medical doctor to get the flu shot (due to pregnancy, suppressed immune system, line of work, etc.) once I tell them my story, the standard response is "Never mind. We have drugs to fight against the flu."

I am nervous this year...but I will never introduce that drug into my body, or my childrens' bodies, ever again.
wow, that's an unreal experience.

I lost my sister from an allergic reaction to penicillin. It was before I was born. I have been very cautious about injecting anything into my body. I needed stitches when I was 15 and was given a tetanus shot which I was allergic to. I guess some people can handle shots better then others. I'm not one of them.
Holiday Park 06:33 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
If there are a few things I learned in my life, they are:
  • Always EXPECT the UNexpected.
  • Never underestimate an illness.

When I was a healthyteenager, I had a horrible case of the flu in the middle of summer. I was completely bed-ridden for 5 days, could not eat or drink, ended up on IV fluids in the emergency room, battling a fever of 104/105. During these 5 days, there were times in which I was actually delirious and hallucinating, there were times that I violently shook with shivers, there were times that I was soaked in sweat. I was very active at the time and ate extremely well (so health was not a concern). I also had not been ill in 8 years with anything significant at all.
I had this SAME experience when I was a teenager. But I didn't take my temp and my parents didn't even think of taking me to the Dr ( ) I basically took care of myself,and my mom might have been taknig of me,but I just don't remember. I remember drinking a lot of echinacea tea with honey,and taking lots of zink,and vitamin C (it really did help) . Anyway I didn't end up in the hospital that time. I recovered fine,and it was only 2-3 days maybe .
I got sick like that again, but there was fluid in my ears (so I couldn't hear) and fluid in my lungs. I knew there was fluid in my lungs because I could just tell. I couldn't breath so bad I had to convince my mom to take me to the DR . I ended up getting on an IV and felt much better. Turned out I had a bad case of bronchitis . BUT when I was younger, I had a habit of going 1-2 days without sleep or not eating as much as I should. I eventually learned that those are two things that mess up my immune system. So as I got older (late twentys, and now I'm 35) If I feel the slightest bit "off" or a cold or anything coming, I can tell because there is a lump in my throat,or my glands,or there is an ache in my head,and I feel achey all over. I start taking extra of everything. Vitamin D,C, Probiotics , Get extra sleep,eat a little extra and make sure to cut out dairy (I already avoid cow milk,but love my cheese)
And so it always only lasts 24-48 hours or less. Same with my kids.
I have never been that sick since then. I have had the flu though,since then . Just never that bad. And I have never had the shot.
LK5kids 08:07 PM 01-08-2013
The job I just left (after 14 yrs) strongly pushed for everyone to get the flu shot. I've never trusted them. My agency was a department of a hospital. That darn nurse who was head of infection control would hunt me down for weeks. I got by without getting it for years but they got more and more pushy about it. I really did not want to get the h1n1 shot, but they pushed me into it.

When I said I rarely get the flu I was told I could be a carrier and transmit it to a child and they could die. I worked with kids for my job...yikes!

My daughter was pregnant when the h1n1 scare hit. She had not wanted to get it and her midwife talked her into it and She miscarried soon after. We both always suspected that shot.

That said, flu can be vey serious and I understand why people get it.
Sunshine74 09:01 PM 01-08-2013
I have not had a regular flu shot ever (I don't think) but I did get the H1N1 nasal vaccine a few years ago. I am considering it this year though because it is bad in this area. One of my co-workers (who I work closely with) just came back to work after being sick with the flu for 5 days! She had it really bad- couldn't get out of bed almost the whole time. I have been catching everything this past year because I was out of work for so long with my knee injury that my immune system is not great.
itlw8 05:40 AM 01-09-2013
Mother is 91 and I usually have an infant in care so yes I get one every year.

I do all the healthy things so fight off most illnesses but that is also why I would be a risk to Mother . I could be carrying the germs yet fighting off the symptoms. So the whole family gets them and people with colds and worse stay away.
JustMe 04:02 PM 01-10-2013
5 years ago, my stepson's mom died from the flu. She was 25. That was the official cause of death on the death certificate.

Ever since then, I have gotten the flu shot, and I require everyone in my family to get one too.
daycare 04:07 PM 01-10-2013
never have never will......ask me again in 40 years....lol
Michael 04:28 PM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by JustMe:
5 years ago, my stepson's mom died from the flu. She was 25. That was the official cause of death on the death certificate.

Ever since then, I have gotten the flu shot, and I require everyone in my family to get one too.
From what I've heard, it is usually other conditions that cause death. Someone gets the flu and with a compromised immune system they contract something like pneumonia and die from that. I think it would be called a flu related death.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/...920090850.html

The actual flu virus itself is not fatal; however, if it strikes someone whose immune system is compromised (the elderly, the young, pregnant women and AIDS patients), more serious complications often develop, which can ultimately cause the patient to expire. These complications typically occur when the patient actually appears to be getting stronger.

JustMe 04:40 PM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
From what I've heard, it is usually other conditions that cause death. Someone gets the flu and with a compromised immune system they contract something like pneumonia and die from that. I think it would be called a flu related death.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/...920090850.html

The actual flu virus itself is not fatal; however, if it strikes someone whose immune system is compromised (the elderly, the young, pregnant women and AIDS patients), more serious complications often develop, which can ultimately cause the patient to expire. These complications typically occur when the patient actually appears to be getting stronger.
Good point. She actually had two causes listed on her death certificate, the other was sepsis. I also believe that she may have had a compromised immune system due to prescription drug abuse. Still, I am overcautious about the flu as a result, and probably always will be.
tenderhearts 04:55 PM 01-10-2013
I have never had a flu shot and do not ever plan on getting one unless I'm old and frail, and maybe even then I wouldn't, who knows.
nanglgrl 09:12 PM 01-10-2013
I'm a pretty healthy gal although I do get the occasional cold or stomach bug when they sweep through the daycare. I think it was 2 years ago that I got the flu and it was horrible. I really thought there was a chance I might die. I could hardly breath. It was so bad that I asked my 18 year old son to sleep with his phone. I told him if he got a call from my phone in the middle of the night to immediately call 911. My hubby is a deep sleeper and I had no doubt it would be hard if not impossible for me to wake him if I were to wake up not being able to breath. I ended up getting better after that night thank goodness. I get my flu shot every year and thankfully that's the only time I got it.
Tags:flu shot, sick policy, vaccinations
Reply Up