Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Sound Fair?
spud912 02:46 PM 01-28-2014
I know I am killing you all with these questions.....(as evidenced by nobody responding to my last thread ...I know I know, I'm sorry...I don't have anything super sensational to post ). Anyway, I'm hoping I can get some feedback! So I outlined vacation days last December for 2014 before I knew I was pregnant. As a result, I've had to redo all of the planned days off. If you want to scroll down to the bottom for the questions, I understand....I tend to ramble .

This is what I normally "allot" myself:I usually don't take all my vacation days and all of my parents have 5 days a year where they don't have to pay while they are on vacation. Even if it's not fair, they all signed the contract so it must not be super unreasonable.

So, with the pregnancy, I would be going over my allotted days off by 2 days for maternity leave. It looks like this:
Do you think it's unreasonable that I'm "getting" 2 additional days off this year? What did/does everyone else do regarding maternity leave? Is it on top of the regular vacations or included? I tried searching and it pulls up a lot of how much time people plan to take off but not if it is in addition to their normally scheduled vacation time. Thanks!!
DaycareMom 03:02 PM 01-28-2014
If they signed your contract and know you are pregnant and taking these days off, then I say it's fine.

I am jealous tho! I get 10 paid holidays, 1 week unpaid vacation and that is it!

When I had my son, I only took 1 week off from daycare. My husband was off for the first week back.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
spud912 03:32 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
If they signed your contract and know you are pregnant and taking these days off, then I say it's fine.

I am jealous tho! I get 10 paid holidays, 1 week unpaid vacation and that is it!

When I had my son, I only took 1 week off from daycare. My husband was off for the first week back.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
My families don't know I'm pregnant yet . I'm worried for a multitude of reasons!
  1. I run a play-based preschool...only accepting children ages 2-5. I don't know how they will handle me having a newborn. The only plus side is I've made an exception for 3 of the families and accepted their child at age 1 instead of 2.
  2. I'm stressed because I have to enroll my oldest daughter into kindergarten. The school district we are in is not the greatest and I'm worried the schools I would prefer to enroll her in won't accept her in time this August (1 of which is a charter school that has a long wait list and the other is out of our district).
  3. Before I knew I was pregnant the plan was to end our lease in September and purchase a house within the school district I want to enroll my daughter in (only a couple of miles from our current location). At this point I think our landlord was considering putting this house on the market in the fall so we may HAVE to move. Worst timing...I know. I'm pretty sure if we do move, one family will probably leave us. I'm not even considering mentioning a potential move until it's set into stone. Plus, how am I going to find time to have a baby and move at the same time?+
  4. In order to purchase a house we need to pay down our debt. I was planning on getting a second job on the weekends to do so rapidly, but I've been so wrought with morning sickness there is no way I can. When the morning sickness improves, I doubt anyone will hire a pregnant lady for only the weekends. Now I'm worried we won't pay it down sufficiently to qualify for a loan.

Can you see my stress leaking?!?!
MotherNature 04:13 PM 01-28-2014
I moved when I was 6 mos. pregnant, during October. It was rainy. :/ It can be done-just pack a little here & there as soon as you know for sure, so you're not packing the week of your move. Good luck!
spud912 05:34 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I moved when I was 6 mos. pregnant, during October. It was rainy. :/ It can be done-just pack a little here & there as soon as you know for sure, so you're not packing the week of your move. Good luck!
Thanks for the response. Yeah I've moved before at 7 months pregnant without much preparation but this move would be within a week or two of delivering if we move that month, which is a lot. How long are you planning on taking off for maternity leave?
melilley 06:04 PM 01-28-2014
I don't think 2 more days is unreasonable at all! I honestly don't know how you ladies only take 1 or 2 weeks off for maternity leave! I couldn't imagine having a 2 week old along with other kids. I think I would die..lol
spud912 07:15 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't think 2 more days is unreasonable at all! I honestly don't know how you ladies only take 1 or 2 weeks off for maternity leave! I couldn't imagine having a 2 week old along with other kids. I think I would die..lol
Thanks. .. that's what I was thinking. .. they should be glad it's only 2 weeks! I can't imagine less! My dh was saying we could open sooner and he would cover but I know I would end up helping. .. it's in my nature. I just want that time for our family. Well I can either make everyone else happy or my family and I choose family .
Margarete 08:00 PM 01-28-2014
I think a lot depends on how your delivery/ nursing is going, and also your group dynamic. With my first I took much more time off. With my second recovery is going smoother, I don't have anyone else in diapers, the kids are older know the routine, and I took about a week off. I also had back up help ready if I needed it, an important piece of that. The back up help came periodically so they could be familiar with the routine, and I also used them for some of my prenatal appointments.
spud912 06:53 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Margarete:
I think a lot depends on how your delivery/ nursing is going, and also your group dynamic. With my first I took much more time off. With my second recovery is going smoother, I don't have anyone else in diapers, the kids are older know the routine, and I took about a week off. I also had back up help ready if I needed it, an important piece of that. The back up help came periodically so they could be familiar with the routine, and I also used them for some of my prenatal appointments.
I hope the recovery goes well. Both of my prior births had fairly good recoveries but I definitely needed 2 weeks ..... both for VERY different reasons.
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave - fees, paid days off, paid time off
Reply Up