Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm the Mean Daycare Lady Today
Kabob 06:22 AM 04-15-2014
So my sibling set comes every morning and repeatedly rings the doorbell as fast as they can because they think it's funny and like the noise it makes. They've been told repeatedly by their parents and me to just knock. So this morning I told them that when they ring the doorbell it wakes up my dh and so I will unplug the doorbell if they do it again. This was said while giving dcd a meaningful look.

Then 15 month old dcb comes and has been super clingy to dcm lately. Yesterday he didn't want her to set him down so she kept picking him back up until she had to leave and then he wandered the play room crying for a half hour. So this morning when she set him down to sign in, I swooped in and picked up dcb and set him down among some toys and told him to go play. He started crying so dcm asked if she could give him kisses. I said no, goodbye dcm. She left and dcb immediately stopped crying as soon as the door shut. She texted later saying she felt terrible she wasn't allowed to console him. I sent her a picture showing he was fine.

So mean...
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 04-15-2014
you are NOT mean.

You are refusing to be a player in this ridiculous game of "parenting" some parents have going on.....

Sometimes, you get frustrated enough that you are forced to take a stand..... sometimes really good changes come from that.

Perhaps she (DCM) will now understand that pro-longed drop offs are an issue and she is doing herself, you and her child a huge favor by making them swift and quick.

If I were you, I'd play up the positives of doing that to this mom so she "gets it."
taylorw1210 06:36 AM 04-15-2014
I very badly need to do this with one of my DCM's. She makes a big ordeal out of getting a million kisses from DCB, a hundred hugs, talks about how much she's going to miss him, and blah blah blah.
Kabob 07:27 AM 04-15-2014
I just felt like I was being super blunt today with everyone. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and just am not up to shenanigans. Dcm was doing well with quick drop offs but suddenly decided to ruin the routine.

I just worry that my morning crabby mood was showing.
jenn 08:12 AM 04-15-2014
Not mean, just enforcing rules! I don't think the parents realize, or care, how much disruption they cause.
Ringing the doorbell doesn't seem like that big of a deal. However, when you are the one listening to it and it is disturbing people in the house, it is a big deal. I had the same problem with a DCK. She would ring the bell over and over while the mom just stood there. I asked the mom to ring the bell herself and not allow the DCK to ring it. Mom would not enforce it. I finally told her that if the bell rang more than once, I would not be answering it, and she would have to go home. It only had to happen once. Mom was SO mad, but the DCK has never done it again
Josiegirl 09:54 AM 04-15-2014
I wish I had the nerve(and I mean that in a good way!!)that some of you do!
Most of my families don't annoy me too much but once in awhile....
BumbleBee 10:10 AM 04-15-2014
I'm cracking up at the making mom take dck home after ringing the doorbell.
hwichlaz 10:13 AM 04-15-2014
I recently made a dad take his girl back to the car to finish her chocolate donut.

I mean REALLY? What on earth possesses you?
jenn 10:27 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I'm cracking up at the making mom take dck home after ringing the doorbell.
It does sound crazy, now! "I got kicked out of daycare for today, because I rang the doorbell." I'm sure the people the mom complained to thought I was crazy! I had just had enough. This family pushes everything, everyday. I know that unless this mom is inconvenienced she will not change.
This is the same mom that actually broke the handle off our screen door because as the girl rang, mom would shake and shake the locked screen. Same battle. Stop shaking the door, I will unlock and open it. This went on for weeks. I knew it was really loose and just left it. She wiggled it, and it fell off into her hand. She now stands back and waits for me to open the door. However, I have a new door shaker dad now. It's like they just can't wait to get their kid through the door.
I didn't use to have any nerve at all. In real life, I am actually shy and reserved. However, after years of daycare centers, public school teaching, and home daycare, I am not afraid to stand up for myself!
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
It does sound crazy, now! "I got kicked out of daycare for today, because I rang the doorbell." I'm sure the people the mom complained to thought I was crazy! I had just had enough. This family pushes everything, everyday. I know that unless this mom is inconvenienced she will not change.
This is the same mom that actually broke the handle off our screen door because as the girl rang, mom would shake and shake the locked screen. Same battle. Stop shaking the door, I will unlock and open it. This went on for weeks. I knew it was really loose and just left it. She wiggled it, and it fell off into her hand. She now stands back and waits for me to open the door. However, I have a new door shaker dad now. It's like they just can't wait to get their kid through the door.
I didn't use to have any nerve at all. In real life, I am actually shy and reserved. However, after years of daycare centers, public school teaching, and home daycare, I am not afraid to stand up for myself!
No, the child did not get kicked out for ringing the door bell.

The child was kicked out for NOT listening and the parent was denied services for not parenting her child.
rosieteddy 10:39 AM 04-15-2014
Parents tormented me so much with their shennanigans I totally change drop off and pick-ups. I unlock the front door to Foyer at first arrivals time.The inside door is locked I open door take child and leave parent .They say goodbye there and thats that.Going home we get ready 15 min early and if dark or rainy sit in foyer and read books. They get up when parent enters say "HI MOMMY/DADDY how was your day" they get a sticker and out they go.The days of all the parents hanging around while the kids break every rule are over. I actually just bought the big joovy cabbose with third seat because I couldn't stand the parents not being able to quickly get their infants in the seats. Now that the weather is better we go around the block and wait in the driveway 3 in stroller and 3 holding on with safety straps. I feel like the meanest. ......not
taylorw1210 11:10 AM 04-15-2014
Not mean, just enforcing rules! I don't think the parents realize, or care, how much disruption they cause.
Ringing the doorbell doesn't seem like that big of a deal. However, when you are the one listening to it and it is disturbing people in the house, it is a big deal. I had the same problem with a DCK. She would ring the bell over and over while the mom just stood there. I asked the mom to ring the bell herself and not allow the DCK to ring it. Mom would not enforce it. I finally told her that if the bell rang more than once, I would not be answering it, and she would have to go home. It only had to happen once. Mom was SO mad, but the DCK has never done it again
Oh my gosh - I literally LOL'd.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No, the child did not get kicked out for ringing the door bell.

The child was kicked out for NOT listening and the parent was denied services for not parenting her child.

SignMeUp 11:12 AM 04-15-2014
This family pushes everything, everyday.
I have "that family" too. But hoping to do a termination very soon. She actually initiated it, but I am moving the date closer
Kabob 12:11 PM 04-15-2014
I totally get sending them home for ringing the doorbell...the line needs to be drawn. I was seriously at the point of sending them back outside and making them try again at entering quietly. My door is unlocked and they already know to just come in...quietly.

As for dcm, she's more clingy than dcb. She starts crying before he does. She said she wants to try for another child and I cringed at the thought. She's one of those parents that will hold back her child from a milestone because she's not ready...

Guess I'm not the only one who is a "meanie" sometimes. But goodness...I feel like I have been treating these parents like children lately...I used to sugarcoat it too and now it's just me bluntly telling them to knock it off...
Cradle2crayons 12:16 PM 04-15-2014
Today I had some errands to run 30 minutes from home... Halfway between where dcm lives and I live.. So I texted mom and told her we could meet at the walmart... We meet and I go to switch the kids from their car seats to my buggy... And I found sweet tarts in each child's hand..

First off the ten month old can't eat things like that... He's on baby food..

Second of all the tube fed dcg can't have crap like that because she was just recently cleared to eat food and you have to be really careful how you cut food up for her...

I did at mom... Tossed the candy in the garbage... I was like I gosh what is this mom?? She says "oh my sister gave them something as we left and I didn't know it was THAT!!!" And then she

The baby didn't know what he lost but the special dcg was like too...

Lol.
cheerfuldom 12:20 PM 04-15-2014
Oh I am definitely a meanie. I know my daycare parents think that LOL but my word, the nonsense that I put up with for the first year or two of daycare is just ridiculous. Now I call parents out on everything annoying but on the plus side, my rates are fair, my house is super kid friendly, I have great references and I am almost 100% reliable. I will put up with a ton of stuff but every parent knows where that line is and its pretty rare that they try and cross it.
Kabob 12:33 PM 04-15-2014
Speaking of being a meanie, my licensor was over the other day for my relicensing inspection (I passed -yay). She said she has been called "rude" and "mean" by a parent that called her office to complain about how she couldn't find a daycare that fit her long list of very specific "rules" (ie, she wanted special treatment for her special cupcake). So my licensor told her to go find a nanny because no daycare would be willing to fit into the list. The lady was apparently super offended.
Bookworm 05:50 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Oh I am definitely a meanie. I know my daycare parents think that LOL but my word, the nonsense that I put up with for the first year or two of daycare is just ridiculous. Now I call parents out on everything annoying but on the plus side, my rates are fair, my house is super kid friendly, I have great references and I am almost 100% reliable. I will put up with a ton of stuff but every parent knows where that line is and its pretty rare that they try and cross it.
I'm the meanie teacher in my center because I will not entertain certain things. First and foremost, is bringing toys to the center. I tell all parents, if they bring toys on an unauthorized toy day, it will go In the "Maybe Box". Maybe they'll get it back, maybe they won't. ( Got the idea from this site). They quickly got the point. I tell my parents that I'm the last stop before Kindy and if they can't follow my rules, they won't be able to function in public school.
BumbleBee 07:05 PM 04-15-2014
It's like they just can't wait to get their kid through the door.
And it's these ones who do the 20 minute song & dance before leaving!
blandino 08:10 PM 04-15-2014
Personally, I don't think you were mean.

BUT, I can see how a parent would be upset.

For me, I take the child, do "bye bye Mommy/Daddy", and go play. If the parent wants to play that game, by coming back and reigniting the issues, then they are on their own getting out the door. I won't be taking/soothing/helping with that child's drop off after my first attempt. If they want to play the game, they are on their own.
Tags:parents - do crazy things
Reply Up