Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I am fuming mad right now, help calm me down
daycare 05:39 PM 03-09-2015
So my policies state 48hour notice for any schedule changes submit in writing and must be approved by me. All of my clients are reminded of this weekly.

well dcf sends me a text last night to tell me that their kid needs a later pick up today. I said NO sorry I can't accommodate you, I don't have the staff and I need a 48hour advance notice so that I can have time to see if i can help you or not.

Well the parent was mad, but said ok and made arrangements to pickup at regular time.

of course, I have two kids call out in the morning, leaving me with no issues if kid did stay, but i don't know this was going to happen until today. PLUS I wanted to make it a point that I am not allowing them to break my policies and enforce the 48 hour rule.

well dcm gets home and then sends me a text saying that she didn't understand why I couldn't keep dck later today, that she counted the kids at pick up and I was well within ratios. She then asked if there was something else going on and I didn't want keep DCK.

REALLY ????? is it just me or do I have a right to be annoyed by this text from her.

Idon't feel that I owe her an once of explanation. am I wrong for feeling this way?
finsup 05:52 PM 03-09-2015
I would be mad too! You have policies for a reason, they didn't follow them and this is a consequence of that. I would just send a message back saying nothing personal DCM and then your policy and that's it. All other texts sold be ignored. But then again I've had a family do stuff like this often enough I'm pretty jaded about it lol.
MarinaVanessa 06:01 PM 03-09-2015
I'd be peeved a bit but not mad (only because I try not to get mad at clients anymore, I want to stay young). I'd simply respond with ...

There is no other reason why I couldn't take DCK other than for the reasons I gave you earlier. As it turned out it ended up that I did have less kids than expected but I wasn't given notice until last minute so there was no way to know that I would have room.
Shell 06:03 PM 03-09-2015
Ugh! I would be annoyed also. Parents really don't understand the business side of this all.

I think I would send her a quick text/call/ whatever method you use, and let her know that each day brings unique circumstances, and you always have to base your plans around the highest # of kids present, and that's why it's important to stick to the 48 hour rule.

I wouldn't get overly wordy, because you are right in that you shouldn't have to explain your policies, but this might help put out a little fire, if you know what I mean.
daycare 06:05 PM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'd be peeved a bit but not mad (only because I try not to get mad at clients anymore, I want to stay young). I'd simply respond with ...

There is no other reason why I couldn't take DCK other than for the reasons I gave you earlier. As it turned out it ended up that I did have less kids than expected but I wasn't given notice until last minute so there was no way to know that I would have room.
I guess I am mad because I just talked to this family about the 48 hour rule last week and told them that NEXT time I was going to enforce the rules with it and that even though they told me that they needed to change their schedule for this week, they never gave me the times that they needed. They text me at 945pm last night. I gave my assistant the afternoon off so she could study for a final and didn't have anyone here to keep me within ratios if I let dck stay later. I guess I jsut need to tell dcm that I have to go based on my daily EXPECTED SCHEDULE ...

UGH.....I feel like a broken record that just repeats itself over and over.

thanks for validating my feelings on this. I do feel a little better and your right, I should not be so mad...

I will respond with what you suggested and be done with it.

I think maybe dcm was expecting me to call her today and let her know that there were kids out so that her kid could stay. COuld I have done this yes, but I didn't have time and once again it goes back to the whole principal of you didn't follow the policies.

lol I am still feeling mad.......
MarinaVanessa 06:48 PM 03-09-2015
Well if you talked to them already then let them be mad ... but don't be mad yourself. It's so not worth it. They're mad at the wrong person btw. You know that, they just don't. It's always someone else's fault, people have a hard time admitting that they are wrong and expect way too much
daycare 06:52 PM 03-09-2015
Well if you talked to them already then let them be mad ... but don't be mad yourself. It's so not worth it. They're mad at the wrong person btw. You know that, they just don't. It's always someone else's fault, people have a hard time admitting that they are wrong and expect way too much
so true/.....thanks for the reminder and welcome back...you have been missed by all of us...
MarinaVanessa 06:54 PM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
so true/.....thanks for the reminder and welcome back...you have been missed by all of us...
Thanks, good to be back.
daycare 06:56 PM 03-09-2015
Thanks, good to be back.
the form is not the same without you....BC had been gone a lot too and it feels like a ghost town.

nice to see crystal back now and then but for the most part everyone seems to be MIA
Gemma 05:35 AM 03-10-2015
Idon't feel that I owe her an once of explanation. am I wrong for feeling this way?
You're not wrong! ...it is your policy and all you did was stand by it!
You don't owe her an explanation but sometime it helps DCF realize they're in the wrong!
Gemma 05:41 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Ugh! I would be annoyed also. Parents really don't understand the business side of this all.

They sure don't!
They might start out that way, then after some time they start to think "friendship" is why they're with you, and rules and policies don't apply to friends
Meeko 06:52 AM 03-10-2015
I think a lot of the parents completely understand our policy. It just applies to everybody else but them...
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I think a lot of the parents completely understand our policy. It just applies to everybody else but them...
this is so true!

Daycare~

I'd send home some sort of note explaining that your policies are in place for a reason and although that reason may not make sense to them, they are non-negotiable and if anyone has issues with them, then you are not the right fit for them.

I don't get bent out of shape either if parents are upset about the rules, ESPECIALLY if it's a rule they were/are fully aware of. I owe no other explanations other than "Its written in the policy handbook which you read and agreed to upon enrollment".

With that being said however I WOULD be a bit miffed at DCM's throwing the "I counted kids..." argument into the mix and would HAVE to address that.

I'd tell her that I (NOT her) am in charge of my business and I run it as I see fit. Counting kids and TELLING me whether a child would or wouldn't put me over ratios IS over stepping her boundaries and is something I will NOT tolerate should she attempt to use that line of thinking again.

^^ That would not be me being upset but me running MY business according to MY rules. It would not be said to DCM in anger but with firmness so that she recognizes WHO actually is in charge.
KiddieCahoots 07:35 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
With that being said however I WOULD be a bit miffed at DCM's throwing the "I counted kids..." argument into the mix and would HAVE to address that.

I'd tell her that I (NOT her) am in charge of my business and I run it as I see fit. Counting kids and TELLING me whether a child would or wouldn't put me over ratios IS over stepping her boundaries and is not something I will NOT tolerate should she attempt to use that line of thinking again.

^^ That would not be me being upset but me running MY business according to MY rules. It would not be said to DCM in anger but with firmness so that she recognizes WHO actually is in charge.
This^^ That's the part where I got annoyed. She definitely over stepped her boundaries with your business.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 03-10-2015
Periodically, I remind parents that in order to be fair I must enforce my policies evenly *big smile*
daycare 08:34 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
this is so true!

Daycare~

I'd send home some sort of note explaining that your policies are in place for a reason and although that reason may not make sense to them, they are non-negotiable and if anyone has issues with them, then you are not the right fit for them.

I don't get bent out of shape either if parents are upset about the rules, ESPECIALLY if it's a rule they were/are fully aware of. I owe no other explanations other than "Its written in the policy handbook which you read and agreed to upon enrollment".

I'd tell her that I (NOT her) am in charge of my business and I run it as I see fit. Counting kids and TELLING me whether a child would or wouldn't put me over ratios IS over stepping her boundaries and is something I will NOT tolerate should she attempt to use that line of thinking again.

I think I was very shocked about that part...the counting and telling me what i COULD have done. Trust me, that made me super mad.

I think the other part of it, is that I just sent out a letter about it last week, TUESDAY to be exact. At that time I explained why we have the best rates in town with a hig quality program (lol) by telling them that I schedule our staff based on each families contract and this is why it is WHY they MUST adhere to their contracted hours of care. If they need to change it for any reason, they must submit a request for change of care in writing to me 48 hours in advance and understand that I can't always guarantee it.

I really do think what Meeko said is true. They get it, they understand it, they just don't give a HOOT...

I have decided that should someone need a schedule change that it's going to cost them a higher rate. I think this will be the only way that I can get this to stop.

normal scheduled contracted rate without changes = Normal weekly rate

Need to change your time or day attending, rate is $8.00 an hour for time change and rate goes up $15.00 for day change.

Too harsh?

I told my husband last night. I really just want to be able to focus my time and energy on teaching the children and continuing to improve our preschool, but I can't when I find myself beating my head on the wall with the parents. If it's not one thing, it's another.

and BC you know what a push over I used to be. I have no problem now throwing the book at them and laying down the law, I am just sick of having to do it day after day, even with the same families. It's like definition of insanity. They keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result..... I have been holding that line down and giving the same result every time so that they don't keep doing it. BUT they still do it...
Unregistered 08:53 AM 03-10-2015
My rates double for non-contracted times.
daycare 09:05 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My rates double for non-contracted times.
so if someone wants to add an additional hour to their schedule 1 week you double the rate? example my rates break down to about $5.00 an hour, but I charge a flat rate. So if they need to add an additional hour I would charge $10 an hour for non-contracted time added.

then if it's a day change instead of $50, you would charge 100??
Unregistered 09:54 AM 03-10-2015
Parents always take things personal. They don't factor in ratios or people calling sick or not showing up for the day. Keep it simple. Just text her "I had two kids call out sick today, and my policy is a 48 hour notice for schedule changes. See you tomorrow!"
deliberateliterate 09:59 AM 03-10-2015

I think maybe dcm was expecting me to call her today and let her know that there were kids out so that her kid could stay. COuld I have done this yes, but I didn't have time and once again it goes back to the whole principal of you didn't follow the policies.

lol I am still feeling mad.......
If that is what she's thinking, and she actually says anything to you, just remind her that as far as you were concerned, she had made alternate arrangements.

The fact that you JUST had a talk with them last week means that it was even more imortant for you to stand your ground and enforce your policies.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 03-10-2015
My rates are broken down by the half hour in early morning and late afternoon, but yes.
They may contract to begin at 7:30 am and pay $x for the first half hour, but if they are contracted for 8:00 am and need a day at 7:30 they pay $2x for the extra half hour.

My policy does not allow for switching days but if a parent wants Tuesday instead of Wednesday, they may pay me for Wednesday, space permitting. If their child comes only one of those days, I am in effect earning double.

If they come both days, I do not but if I have problems with this, I will consider changing my policy and charging more for days in addition to their normal schedule. I would not do double, but I may charge 30% more.
Unregistered 10:09 AM 03-10-2015
Oops, switched days.

Should say, they may pay me for Tuesday.
CraftyMom 10:45 AM 03-10-2015
You could have replied with something like "I am sorry you feel that way. I have my policy in place so I can be prepared. I found out on very short notice that I would have less kids today. That would have been inconsiderate on my part to let you know on such short notice that I could accommodate you after you already made other arrangements."
Unregistered 11:16 AM 03-10-2015
It is none of her freakin' business, how rude!
spinnymarie 11:19 AM 03-10-2015
I like the idea of attaching money - as Nannyde always says, attaching money makes people actually use their brain to think about it.
Or something like that
Not sure of your usual rates, but I definitely think that a higher day rate per day change and hour rate per hour change is logical and will be effective.
Reply Up