Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions Regarding Daycare/Preschool
my3girls 07:22 AM 10-16-2008
Hi!
I am a 32 year old teacher (now stay at home mom) living in Indiana looking to start my own daycare with two other friends who are physical therapists. Our goal is to provide a daycare setting incorporating AM preschool activities. We'd also like to include up to 5 children with physical delays/handicaps to provide their one on one hour of therapy while having the rest of the day to participate in daily activities with other peers. My questions are:

*What is the difference b/t licensing in a home or licensing in a facility used only for this daycare (example, buying or renting space used solely for this purpose...)?
*How many children would be allowed to attend with three (maybe four) adults?
*What should our first step be in getting started? I've read the state guidelines for licensing but am unsure of where to go first...
*What type of credentials, training, degrees, and/or classes are needed to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help, advice, and/or input you can give me on this matter...I really appreciate it!
kidcentric 06:44 PM 10-27-2008
If you haven't checked it out yet, look at: http://www.in.gov/fssa/carefinder/3637.htm
I'm in California, not Indiana, but most places start in a similar manner. The website says that you can attend an orientation session with your licensing agency. Around here anyway, at that orientation, you get all of the basic info you need to start through the licensing process. You also have the opportunity to talk with a licensing spe******t. The paperwork may look pretty daunting at first, but don't let it discourage you. If you get stuck, licensing will usually help you. You can also solicit a child care consultant to help with anything that presents a roadblock. Good luck!!
Tags:indiana requirements, ratio, special needs
Reply Up