Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Don't Know What To Do With These Boys?!
sahm2three 11:17 AM 03-09-2011
O.M.G!!! They have been awful awful awful today! Punching each other, kicking, shoving, throwing toys, swinging on the curtains, running, screaming.....O.M.G!!! I have given so many time outs today that I don't think I could even count that high!!! I am just about to go buy head gear, punching gloves, and print out release forms for the parents to sign and let them have at it! I am so tired of it and worn out!!! What can I do?!?!?!?!?! Even if I am sitting right there with them, I am still constantly after them to stop hitting, stop kicking, blah blah blah. HELP!!!
DCMomOf3 11:19 AM 03-09-2011
I say sit them down (strap them into booster chairs if you have to) far away from each other with one or two books each and have reading time. You need a quiet break it sounds like.
marniewon 12:47 PM 03-09-2011
I'm right there with you!! What I did is divided the room and one got one section and a few toys, and the other got a different section with a few toys (and I do mean FEW toys). They had to sit there and play. If they got too close to the "line" they had to come back to the middle of their section and SIT. If I had to talk to one or the other too many times, they went in the pnp to cool down.

Both of these boys play well by themselves but are terrors when they are playing together. There is little playing and a lot of pushing, body slamming, stomping on feet, etc.

Like you, I've tried a ton of different things and nothing is working well. These things are stopping the immediate behavior, but not teaching them to play well together.
Little People 01:48 PM 03-09-2011
I bought this for my new 14 month old. I have it in our preschool room and I strap him in and give him books, blocks and I also feed him in it. He weighs about 35 pounds and lifting him in and out several times a day in a regular high chair was hard on the back!! This has been a great find for me!! I love it!

He is my new one that will climb the gates and I will not leave him out of my site

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Inf...-Seat/15522330
marniewon 06:05 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I bought this for my new 14 month old. I have it in our preschool room and I strap him in and give him books, blocks and I also feed him in it. He weighs about 35 pounds and lifting him in and out several times a day in a regular high chair was hard on the back!! This has been a great find for me!! I love it!

He is my new one that will climb the gates and I will not leave him out of my site

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Inf...-Seat/15522330
That seat is really cute!!

To OP - check your regs before getting this if you are thinking of using it for the dck's during playtime to keep them from fighting - in MI it is against our regs to restrain a child for any reason other than safety (in a high chair at mealtime, etc).
daycare 06:10 PM 03-09-2011
I put the kids in the high chair that are 22 months to do art and other type of activities. When they are having a time out I put them there with crayons and ask them what color makes you angry. Then ask them to draw with that color then what makes you happy, sad, excited, and so on. This has worked well for my group.
daysofelijah 04:27 AM 03-10-2011
Are they older? It seems like once boys hit about 3.5 they start to go nuts with the crazy fighting, hitting, punching, etc. On the days I only have one boy they are fine, but if I get 2-3 it never fails that someone ends up fighting, or trying to jump off tables, or drive one another into the wall on the cars, etc.

That last 1.5 years until kindergarten goes slow when you have multiple older boys. Lots of outside time? Make them play separately if they can't calm down? Sorry no great advice here!
marniewon 04:53 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I put the kids in the high chair that are 22 months to do art and other type of activities. When they are having a time out I put them there with crayons and ask them what color makes you angry. Then ask them to draw with that color then what makes you happy, sad, excited, and so on. This has worked well for my group.
You ever find kids misbehaving JUST to get to sit in "time out" so they can color?
sahm2three 06:52 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
Are they older? It seems like once boys hit about 3.5 they start to go nuts with the crazy fighting, hitting, punching, etc. On the days I only have one boy they are fine, but if I get 2-3 it never fails that someone ends up fighting, or trying to jump off tables, or drive one another into the wall on the cars, etc.

That last 1.5 years until kindergarten goes slow when you have multiple older boys. Lots of outside time? Make them play separately if they can't calm down? Sorry no great advice here!
The are 18 months to almost 3. DO NOT tell me it gets worse as the get older! I call them all my little street fighters!!! LOL! I wish we could have lots of outdoor time, but we are stuck inside with all the snow and cold but now it is warming up and it is soooooo slushy and messy. UGH! Bring on spring and summer!
Tags:boys, fighting, time out, unruly
Reply Up