Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Encouragement--Have Interview. Yay!
PeanutsGalore 10:01 PM 03-23-2011
So, I've finally nailed down another interview. Yay!!! Thing is, the parents only need part-time care. Because I can only take in a small number of babies, ideally, they would all be full time clients. But I have a good feeling about this, and if it's close enough to full-time and it seems like a good fit, I'm not in a financial position to turn down work.

Bottom line: my business brain is telling me that since I won't be able to fill the time they don't use with any kid who will fit well into my program, I need to charge the full-time rate.

My gooshy heart is telling me to stop being greedy, and offer a part-time rate. The difference is probably somewhere around $100 to $150 less per month, depending upon how many hours they really need.

WWYD? Someone talk me down from the ledge!
QualiTcare 04:01 AM 03-24-2011
i don't know. how many kids do you already care for? how bad do you need the money - any money? it would be great if you could charge full time and they only come part time. who doesn't want to make the most money for the least work?! but keep in mind i'm sure there are several other daycares in your area who are willing to charge part time rates for part time care. you don't want to run them off.

maybe you should consider giving them the rate that's right in between your full time rate and your part time rate. if they think that's too high then you could lower it to your part time rate, but TELL THEM if you have a full time opportunity come along then they will have to start paying the full time rate or leave. THAT sounds fair.
AfterSchoolMom 04:05 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by :
maybe you should consider giving them the rate that's right in between your full time rate and your part time rate. if they think that's too high then you could lower it to your part time rate, but TELL THEM if you have a full time opportunity come along then they will have to start paying the full time rate or leave. THAT sounds fair.
Yes, I agree with this. Make sure they understand at the very beginning that you will continue to advertise for a full time spot. Then give them such great care that they'll do ANYTHING to keep you!

Good luck, I hope it works out!
MN Day Mom 05:21 AM 03-24-2011
I only offer full time slots. They can have part time hours, but at a full time rate. I explain to them that their child is filling a full time slot and filling odd hours is difficult.

If you really want to give them a discount, you could explain to them that their child is filling a full time spot, but you will give them a discount from your full time rate.... then base your discount on how many hours below full time they need.... don't make their discount huge, they'll feel good about any discount you offer And like others have said.... make sure they then know that in the future you may have to increase them to full time if they want to keep their spot.

Good Luck.
SimpleMom 06:18 AM 03-24-2011
I agree. Take the pt, but let them know that ft has priority and you will continue to have an ad out for ft.
SandeeAR 07:01 AM 03-24-2011
If you feel they are a good fit, and no immediate prospects for full time, give them the spot, with conditions (in writing). Let them know that you prefer fullentime, as this is your income. However, you are willing to let them start out as part time. However, if a full time child comes along, they will be given first option to go to full time pay, even if they only want part time care. Or they can forfeit the spot to the new full time.
PeanutsGalore 09:11 PM 03-26-2011
I think I probably nailed it during the phone interview before I even met the couple today. I loved her over the phone; I just needed to meet them in person to verify it. And they were planning on paying for (and eventually using) full time, which verifies my thought that I'm priced accurately for the type of client I'm looking for.

I totally have a new client; she's awesome, her husband is awesome, and her kid is awesome.

And I feel blessed again, because I felt rather blessed about my first client as well--especially because the child has a more challenging temperament which has taught me a great deal.

Life is good. Thank you all so much for your advice.
momatheart 12:19 PM 03-27-2011
You could also tell them while they are using pt that you need full time pay and if you can fill those hours or days they are not here with another child their rate will go down.
Tags:encouragement, interview
Reply Up