Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Child
blueclouds29 06:16 PM 03-12-2011
I had a child go home yesterday who threw up and i just call DCM to see how he's doing and now he has a temperature and they took him to the ER. They took xrays but found nothing. Tonight he has a temp again. She i tell my DC parents that he was sick? I only watch a 15 month, 9 month and a 6 month old. So they are pretty young.
SandeeAR 07:30 AM 03-13-2011
Anytime one of my kiddos is sick, I text the other parents and let them know. That way they can watch for possible signs of illness with their own child.
blueclouds29 07:36 AM 03-13-2011
Thank you! I know there is a tread on this, i just can't find it.
momatheart 09:23 AM 03-13-2011
We only tell parents when it is a reportable sickness due to state regulations like strep and never give the childs name. It really is not their business to know of another child's illness.
nannyde 10:39 AM 03-13-2011
I tell the parents if any of the kids are sick. I want them to have the heads up for their kid and themselves. We had an illness last winter where all of my kids but one and 15 of my 17 daycare parents got sick within two weeks of each other. It was wicked. I had to do arrivals and departures outside and put a plan in place to keep us well.

I think it's better to let them know.
Unregistered 10:47 AM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
We only tell parents when it is a reportable sickness due to state regulations like strep and never give the childs name. It really is not their business to know of another child's illness.
I don't know what state your in, but as a parent who had my child in your daycare, I would definately want to know if the other children were sick!! I find it very irresponsible of any daycare to not inform the other parents of a sick child. I would want to know if it was contagious and even if it wasn't, what to look for if my child was exposed to anything. It is a parents business to be informed of any illness going around in the daycare their child is in.
I would not put my child in any daycare like yours. Sorry!
blueclouds29 10:50 AM 03-13-2011
Thanks everyone I only watch 3 small kids (plus my own). Its so hard when they are smaller cause all of them put things in their mouths and sneeze on everything!! Today i'm cleaning everything!!! Toys are soaking in the sink and air drying. Big toys are getting washed down. Sometimes it just needs to be done!
youretooloud 02:05 PM 03-13-2011
I let them know, if for no other reason, so they don't think it's "something they ate". If they already know to watch out, they can plan ahead.
55CMK83 04:05 PM 03-13-2011
I would let them know as well. Nothing says you have to say who the child is, just call and notify them that "On Friday I sent a child home from daycare due to being sick and that child is still sick. Please keep an eye out for any changes in your child."

Plain and simple.
Meyou 05:25 AM 03-14-2011
I always let my parents know when a child is sick, especially with vomiting. I want them to have the option to keep their kids away from the germs if they wish. As a parent I appreciate that myself. Also, all of my daycare parents know to tell me if anyone was sick over the weekend too. They all know they'll break under my germ interogation if they don't tell the whole truth. lol I have a nose for discovering where the virus's come from that enter my daycare.
Tags:sick, vomiting
Reply Up