Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Sprinkler Days A Week?
momofsix 07:13 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No really ... it's too hot. Right now it is 87 degrees and "feels like" 97 and it's seven pm.
Don't really want to get into The Debate but I do want to say that the heat can really effect some people, myself included. If I'm out in high temp/high humidity even WITH water play I get lightheaded, nauseous and end up w/ a migraine. (and yes I stay hydrated-it's just the way my body reacts to heat) Then my parents would have a problem!
Angelwings36 08:05 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Don't really want to get into The Debate but I do want to say that the heat can really effect some people, myself included. If I'm out in high temp/high humidity even WITH water play I get lightheaded, nauseous and end up w/ a migraine. (and yes I stay hydrated-it's just the way my body reacts to heat) Then my parents would have a problem!
I am exactly like this as well!
dEHmom 08:09 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
yep this is me too. a lot of times i just need some sugar in my system but i definitely cannot handle heat, especially humidity, it sucks all the life out of me.

i dread days like this we've been having all week, and now expected for the next week too. too hot and humid, even staying in the shade i am zapped of energy. And little guys dehydrate so quickly, it scares me that maybe we might be out for a few minutes too long. We go outside in the am, but often skipped the pm on days that are too hot. i feel bad though because the kids love to be outside.
Country Kids 08:20 AM 07-18-2011
We are on day four of gray, black skies and rain. All I wanted to do all weekend was sleep and be real lazy. Means a messy house on Monday which I absolutely do not like at all. Its only 59 degrees right now. Everything is to wet to even go outside to try and play. It has been a miserable summer here.
Meeko 08:55 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here and say I, personally, would rather my child care provider worked with me in teaching my kids "real life" skills (folding laundry, weeding/planting and caring for a garden, cutting with scissors, and cleaning) and let me do the fun stuff with them. i.e. water play outdoor fun.

As a parent, a part of me would feel a little ripped off if my provider got all the fun stuff with my kids and I was left teaching them the other stuff. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have time as a parent to have fun time, I am just saying I want it all!
I agree. And there is nothing wrong with teaching children about responsibility and doing chores. They have lots of play time too. I NEVER clean up the toys at my day care. The kids made the mess. The kids clean it up. Same in real life. Sooner they learn that the better. Part of the problem with older kids today is that they have been catered to and pampered to the point of silliness.

My kids clean up all the toys themselves. They are expected to clean their own place after meals. They are expected to put their own blanket down for nap and put it away after.

I do not believe that my job as a day care provider is to provide fun, fun, fun and nothing else. I work as a partner with the parents and my job entails raising these little ones to be productive, self-confident adults one day. That's not going to happen if I cater to their every whim. We have lots of fun, but we do chores too.

I believe in balance and folding laundry is just as important as playing and I bet the kids enjoy it too! They love to do "grown up" stuff!

I have it my handbook that we are FAMILY day care. And just like a real family, everyone is expected to pitch in with the running of the place. I expect my own children to do chores and I expect nothing less from the day care kids. The parents I have now LIKE that about my day care. They don't want to take home a totally spoiled child who then balks at making their bed and helping pick up around the house.

Bottom line...I am their day care provider...not their maid or cruise director. I teach them about LIFE and life isn't all water play and field trips. Those are great, but not the be all and end all of summer at day care.
nannyde 09:22 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I agree. And there is nothing wrong with teaching children about responsibility and doing chores. They have lots of play time too. I NEVER clean up the toys at my day care. The kids made the mess. The kids clean it up. Same in real life. Sooner they learn that the better. Part of the problem with older kids today is that they have been catered to and pampered to the point of silliness.

My kids clean up all the toys themselves. They are expected to clean their own place after meals. They are expected to put their own blanket down for nap and put it away after.

I do not believe that my job as a day care provider is to provide fun, fun, fun and nothing else. I work as a partner with the parents and my job entails raising these little ones to be productive, self-confident adults one day. That's not going to happen if I cater to their every whim. We have lots of fun, but we do chores too.

I believe in balance and folding laundry is just as important as playing and I bet the kids enjoy it too! They love to do "grown up" stuff!

I have it my handbook that we are FAMILY day care. And just like a real family, everyone is expected to pitch in with the running of the place. I expect my own children to do chores and I expect nothing less from the day care kids. The parents I have now LIKE that about my day care. They don't want to take home a totally spoiled child who then balks at making their bed and helping pick up around the house.

Bottom line...I am their day care provider...not their maid or cruise director. I teach them about LIFE and life isn't all water play and field trips. Those are great, but not the be all and end all of summer at day care.
My motto is: If you can walk you can work.

I think I'll have t-shirts made

They are shucking corn.... but they don't know it's actually work. I'm thinking about starting a fourth business where I have the kids shuck corn for a dollar an ear. Hmmm I'll have to math that one. Might be able to contract with Birdseye.
Meeko 09:27 AM 07-18-2011
Love it!!!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:58 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Or...

You can pick and choose what services you offer and offer what YOU enjoy doing. You can put your resources into what YOU think are valuable.

Of course you have to do things you don't want to like clean puke or change a blow out diaper. You DON'T have to do activites you don't want to do.

So many providers feel trapped in this job and hate it because they don't feel powerful enough to decide for themselves what they will and won't offer. If it's not the state telling them they HAVE to do this activity or that .. it's the parents upset because you don't go to the pool every day.

Providers have parents, the state, and even other providers telling them they MUST do this and that for the kids in order to be good. Beyond fundamental health and safety, we should be able to decide for ourselves what services we offer.

If you want to be successful in this for the long haul.. protect your OWN happiness. A happy provider will have happy kids and happy customers.
You were right that someone would bump this thread up! Me!

This post says so much to me. I think it would be great to give to new providers when they are feeling pressured and questioning themselves. Truer words have never been said!
Leigh 12:35 PM 06-23-2015
REALLY? How did I not notice that this thread was 4 years old!

Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
If my children were small and I was paying $120.00 per week (per child) for child care, would I choose the child care provider that put out the extra effort to give my children the greatest summer experience possible, or would I choose the child care provider that had an "over it" or "don't want to" attitude? With all due respect to your 32 years experience, I would choose the one who would put out the extra effort - regardless of the bottom line.

Additionally, you stated that working parents bring their children home to hours of outdoor/water play. Um, I disagree. Working parents are tired. They come home, make dinner, do laundry, clean house, play with their children a bit, bathe them, read to them, and put them to bed. Since my DP's are paying ME to give their child a fun day - I feel it is MY responsibility to do so.
Here's the thing about that: Your parents are paying you for one thing, my parents are paying me for another.

I have a couple who chose me because of SAFETY. They've had a tragic experience with a child in daycare in the past (child died at daycare). They don't care what goes on here as long as their child is safe. They read my handbook section on safety, asked about my philosophy at the interview, and told me flat out that they chose me because they trusted me to send their child home alive.

I have another couple whose child was removed involuntarily from parents. This one had some issues adjusting. They chose me for my experience with this situation and my willingness to work with CPS and therapists.

I have another couple who chose me because of personal references, nutrition, and safety. Those were the things important to them.

Not one of these parents would care if I never took their kids outside (honestly, they wouldn't leave over it). I did have a parent in the past, however, who complained that I wouldn't let her 3 yo & 4 yo play outside in -25 windchills. I told her it wasn't safe to send them out in it, and even if I did think so, that the parents of my infant would kill me if I took her out in temps that cold. I gave her my chart of temps/windchills that I am willing to take out children. She was with me because her 2 kids had been kicked out of every other daycare they had been in (they were kicked out of mine, too).

I have a provider friend who was told at an interview that she spends too much time outside, and the parent didn't want her kid outside that much!

There are parents like the ones you have, but there are parents who care about other things, as well. None of my parents are paying me to make sure their kids get sprinkler time, and all of my kids get it with their parents. One goes to the public pool 3-5 times a week after daycare pickup.
Josiegirl 04:05 PM 06-23-2015
I was wondering what sprinkler thread Nannyde was referring to in the other water play thread. I'm glad it was brought back up, I found it very enlightening and agreed with points from both sides of the fence.
I've spent years(33 now to be exact) trying to be the provider that all my dcps have wanted to bring their child to. Hmmm, maybe that explains the burn-out I've been attempting to avoid the past 25 years.

Nanny's right, if you're in this for the long haul, you need to make it work for you. The right dcps will find you because you'll love doing what you do and it will shine through.

Truthfully, every time someone mentions themes, teaching phonics, doing this, doing that, etc., etc., I'm thinking to myself wow, *I* should be doing all those things too. I get so down on myself for not being *the* perfect provider, thinking I must be screwing up bad somewhere. Do it this way. That way. Montessori. Reggio. Curriculum. It's enough to make my head spin.
But it was all summed up perfectly with 'do what works for you'. Been said a million times by all of us probably but I get it.
Tomorrow, I'm giving all my dcks cleaning rags, and putting my feet up.
And after that I'm going to fill up my water table outside.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I was wondering what sprinkler thread Nannyde was referring to in the other water play thread. I'm glad it was brought back up, I found it very enlightening and agreed with points from both sides of the fence.
I've spent years(33 now to be exact) trying to be the provider that all my dcps have wanted to bring their child to. Hmmm, maybe that explains the burn-out I've been attempting to avoid the past 25 years.

Nanny's right, if you're in this for the long haul, you need to make it work for you. The right dcps will find you because you'll love doing what you do and it will shine through.

Truthfully, every time someone mentions themes, teaching phonics, doing this, doing that, etc., etc., I'm thinking to myself wow, *I* should be doing all those things too. I get so down on myself for not being *the* perfect provider, thinking I must be screwing up bad somewhere. Do it this way. That way. Montessori. Reggio. Curriculum. It's enough to make my head spin.
But it was all summed up perfectly with 'do what works for you'. Been said a million times by all of us probably but I get it.
Tomorrow, I'm giving all my dcks cleaning rags, and putting my feet up.
And after that I'm going to fill up my water table outside.
That's awesome!!
Thriftylady 11:02 AM 06-24-2015
I'm so glad I got to the end of this thread and didn't feel bad for not doing sprinkler play at all. We do have spray bottles for water play, but no way am I paying the crazy water bill for sprinkler play. My water bill is already $75 a month as it is.
midaycare 11:13 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
So we're in TX so rarely have a day that's not in the triple digits.

The kids of course LOVE sprinkler days but it takes 30-45 mins just to get them dressed and sunscreened. And then getting them dressed takes another 30-45 mins. I know I should do it everyday b/c otherwise our outdoor time is so short because of the heat.

Just wondering how many times a week you do sprinklers or water play that involves getting them in swimsuits? I feel awful not doing it everyday but just dread the prep and cleanup...but I do love the post nap.
I see there are 111 answers already, so probably there is a debate going on. But without reading anything else I would say: as many times as you are comfortable with. This completely depends on you and your group. I don't do sprinkler play, but I live in Michigan and it's fairly cold here most of the year. However, I do snow play and this includes snowpants, hats, gloves, boots, and can take me a looooooong time to get kids ready (10-25 minutes, I have 3's and under).

We just make going outside a part of our day. If that means dressing for weather, that is what it means.

But if you aren't comfortable with it, don't worry about it. When it gets too cold here, we don't go out. Likewise, if it is too hot there, I imagine you wouldn't go out.
midaycare 11:15 AM 06-24-2015
Oh my word, an old thread.
Josiegirl 02:54 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Oh my word, an old thread.
Yeh but...a lot of us missed it the first time around and we're a nosy bunch(okay, maybe just one of us is nosy)
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 06-30-2016
Probably THE best read on this forum ever.
Josiegirl 11:01 AM 06-30-2016
Oh I remember now.

I love this place!!
WAHMderful_Life 11:06 AM 06-30-2016
didn't read all responses to many lol

We do sprinklers as often as we can in the summer months as it doesn't last long. The kids love it, it entertains them so why wouldn't I want to do something that they love as their behaviour is better when they are having fun.

That being said I don't do crafts in the summer or plan extra stuff like that we just play play play.

For me it maybe takes 30 min to get them ready but that includes waiting 20 min for the sunscreen to soak in. My 3 older kids dress themselves and the younger ones need help but takes like 1 minute to change a kid. 1-2min to sunscreen each kid I'm guessing. then we head out i clean up after dogs and then pick one of our sprinklers and turn it on until they stop playing it. Ill warn them a couple times that I'm going to turn it off if they are done in it as it wastes water to keep it going.

As for going back inside they usually have time to play around and dry off and for the most part are clean. If they are dirty they get a quick hose off and dry in the sun with their towel before going in. the older kids again change themselves (3-5yr olds) I change the 2s and they use the potty before lunch again doesn't take much time at all. After the older ones take their own swim stuff out to dry on the deck. I usually strip the younger ones bathing suit off before going in and put them in a towel. I have a laundry basket I keep all the swim stuff in.

Now if I had all younger kids it would be different I would probably just stick with the water tables as I find the younger ones don't tend to go in the sprinklers. they don't seem to like it.

Also all children have to wear a T-shirt or the T-shirt style bathing suit. So what I do is parents have to send an extra T every day and the wet one dries and gets sent home. This saves on sunscreen as you don't have the whole torso of a boy to cover and it protects them better anyways.

I didn't use to do it this way but have changed to summer is summer its a break from crafts, circle time ect. but we live in Manitoba so we only get a few months of this. Obviously there is rain days or days that are to cold or windy but if its nice we are in water. Like today its colder and a cold wind so no water today.

Oh Parents also Pay $30 to cover 2 bottles sunscreen and 1 bottle bug spray for the summer. (not sure if that is enough to cover the summer as i just started doing it that way but should be) use to get them to send sunscreen and send another if we run out but this way I can buy the kind I like to use. No stinky sprays or really thick harder to spread types
cassiesue 10:09 AM 10-20-2016
I love water play!!! I have a kiddie pool set up that is about 3 feet deep and 10 feet long. I also have a smaller kiddie pool for anyone in diapers.

During the summer I had several children between 3 - 6 and about 2 that were in diapers. I also have an assistant. Often after lunch clean up we'd go outside for water play. The kids loved it and I always found that it tired them out for nap. We'd stay out there sometimes for 2 hours. I had both pools housed on a covered carport. I had parents keep a swimsuit at the house. Transitions back inside took about 15 minutes only.

However, if I did not have a covered area for water play it would not happen as much as personally I DETEST the heat!
LostMyMarbles 05:59 AM 10-22-2016
The beauty of owning our own business, is that we can decide what works for our group. Some love to paint, others hate the mess. Some love play dough, other had that mess. Water sports, again, your preference. Freezing winter months and outdoor play, if that's your thing ENJOY.

We all get to decide what works in our program. It is our choice. You want to sever nuggets ever day, knock your self out.

There are NO rules or regulations , in my area anyway, that dictate what activities you NEED to do. It is all up to the owners disgression.

So, if you want to do water stuff, have fun, if you want to teach science, enjoy, if you want to sit under a tree and read, knock yourself out.

Personally, I feel that if your parents and children are happy, you are doing a GREAT JOB!

LostMyMarbles 06:01 AM 10-22-2016
To original poster, what do you want to do? 1,2,5,3? It is all up to you. Do what is best for you and you littles. Have fun.
CityGarden 08:54 AM 10-22-2016
My dd attended two different preschools and neither offered wading pools, swimming or sprinkler time. The first did not do any sort of water play, they did tons of play including painting and play dough daily, social skills, circle time, etc. and we loved it. It was only 9am - 12pm so the limited hours I feel were well spent.

We moved from there to a full day center and the hours offered were 7:30am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday (my dd attended about 9am - 3:30pm M/W/F) they were connected to a university and did not offer any sort of water play that required bathing suits. They did at times have a huge water / sand table set up.... and I think all year they had water for the kids to pump available for the kids to take to the sand and build with etc. If children were so wet they needed to change their clothes they did so but I did not feel my dd missed out on sprinkler time in preschool/daycare. They did a ton with the kids including having an outdoor science lab, walking field trips and they had a beautiful shaded yard for the kids to do lots of playing in.

For my own program I would love to get this water table:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...de-play-center

I am still debating if I want to take the children to swim lessons (or free swim) in the summer. That would be the only water play outside of the water table. I do however believe in lots of outside time and am lucky to have a well shaded park so close. I am not anti-sprinklers, pools, etc. there is just so much I can fill the day with and also my property does not lend itself to those activities easily.

Originally Posted by Michelle:
Most of the field trips we go on involve water...log ride at Knotts, LB Aquarium has water play,Water Fountains in SanPedro., Kayaking at mothers beach.. So we just live in our bathing suits. Summertime at my house is the highlight of the year! Kids go back to school bragging about everything we do.
I too am in Southern California as well and your program sounds lovely. My launch was delayed to this January however I plan to offer tons of walking field trips as a major benefit to my program. I personally think it will be good for me and the kids..... so it is something I want to offer. I also feel my limited yard size and location naturally lend themselves to that sort of program. Someday we might go further like the Aquarium, etc. but for me that is quite a drive 30 mins or so without traffic and I don't want to drive dcks but walking field trips for sure!

Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Thank you for the response Michelle I have some great parents and while they will let me take them sometimes they wouldnt like it everyday I dont think but I was thinking if I took a field trip once every 2 months and then take a weekly walking trip to our library and another weekly walking trip to our park that might be good. We do walk to get my mail everyday and that is about 2 blocks away. Very exciting huh? LOL but when your 2 I guess it is cause they seem to love it! Thank you for the inspiration Itold my husband just yesterday, the kids are so bored right now, h*ll I bore myself! We gatta do something with these kids. So I cant wait to start taking walking field trips and things. We live in a wonderful small town with only 900 people but there are some things to do here just gatta get movin thanks
I would go stir crazy being home all day everyday but I too would not want a field trip each day. I am thinking to start with doing the park daily and at first maybe a field trip 1-2 times per month. In summer that might shift depending on what my clients desire and are willing to pay for.

Walking Field Trips I have planned:

Park Daily (weather permitting)

Pet Store (we have two in walking distance)

Bristol Farms (offers a tour for children)

Fire Station

Police Station

Post Office

Pumpkin Patch

Farmer's Market*

Indoor Playground*

Gymnastic Studio*

Community Pool*

* these either have additional cost that the parents would be responsible for or they are a maybe for me for logistically reasons.

I suppose the bottom line is I feel you can offer a great deal to children without sprinkler time but for those who offer it great. Each program is different that is the beauty of running our own businesses.
CityGarden 08:56 AM 10-22-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
The beauty of owning our own business, is that we can decide what works for our group. Some love to paint, others hate the mess. Some love play dough, other had that mess. Water sports, again, your preference. Freezing winter months and outdoor play, if that's your thing ENJOY.

We all get to decide what works in our program. It is our choice. You want to sever nuggets ever day, knock your self out.

There are NO rules or regulations , in my area anyway, that dictate what activities you NEED to do. It is all up to the owners disgression.

So, if you want to do water stuff, have fun, if you want to teach science, enjoy, if you want to sit under a tree and read, knock yourself out.

Personally, I feel that if your parents and children are happy, you are doing a GREAT JOB!

I 100% agree with this!!!
Unregistered 12:57 PM 10-22-2016
I agree, do what works for you! If you're doing things that drive you nuts you won't be happy, and you won't last long!

I love water play. We do water play every day in the summer. I'm in a northern state. I don't do sprinklers. Kids never seem to like them that much.

I have the water table out every day in the summer. We do giant bubbles in buckets of bubble water and paint the deck and sidewalk with pails of water and all sorts of other messy & water type play.

I never have out a wading pool. We also have water in the sand kitchen. I don't dress kids in swimsuits. they need to be able to do it them selves or they need to come with their suits on. I will help them out of their suit.
Unregistered 01:28 PM 10-22-2016
Oh, lots of times the kids are just in their shorts and shirts when playing at the water table. They don't get super wet. Young kids might, but clothes dry!
Tags:2011, hot, hot weather, sprinkler, sprinklers, water ban
1 2
Reply Up