Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Registration Fee and Supply Fee
CheekyChick 09:17 AM 08-19-2011
I charge a $35.00 registration fee upon enrollment. I consider this payment for the time I spend with the family at the interview (which can sometimes be hours), follow up visits, enrollment paperwork, Parent Handbook, answering endless e-mails with questions, etc. etc. etc.

I've noticed that some people charge a yearly registration (or re-registration) fee. If you do, how much do you charge and what do you use those monies for?

Lastly, do most of you charge a "Supplies" fee? If so, how much do you charge and do you use that for curriculum, crayons, paper, etc.?

Thanks for your input.
familyschoolcare 09:54 AM 08-19-2011
I charge a $50 reg. free that is subject to yearly renewal. I use the money for the administrative cost associated with keep the file up. Here it is highly recommended that parents sign a new contact sheet and any permission slip ect. on a yearly bases. I also use the money for any expense involved in keeping the lic. current. example CPR, lic fees ect. Basically any thing that is not directly involved in the daily care of the children.
CheekyChick 09:59 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I charge a $50 reg. free that is subject to yearly renewal. I use the money for the administrative cost associated with keep the file up. Here it is highly recommended that parents sign a new contact sheet and any permission slip ect. on a yearly bases. I also use the money for any expense involved in keeping the lic. current. example CPR, lic fees ect. Basically any thing that is not directly involved in the daily care of the children.
That makes sense. I spend endless hours on paperwork and keeping up on all of the things you mentioned. I'm thinking about implementing a yearly
re-registration fee as well as having them sign a new contract. I'm even thinking about a "supplies fee" for preschoolers. Not sure yet on that one...

Thanks!!!
wdmmom 10:32 AM 08-19-2011
I charge a $50 enrollment fee per child that is due on or before their start date.

There is a $50 supply fee due on or before the start date and is due every year on the 1st day of their anniversary month.

I have worked it out with a family in the past that couldn't pay the fee. She'd bring in 2 boxes of tissues each month and bring in 3 bottles of hand sanitizer.

It worked for me!
CheekyChick 11:56 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I charge a $50 enrollment fee per child that is due on or before their start date.

There is a $50 supply fee due on or before the start date and is due every year on the 1st day of their anniversary month.

I have worked it out with a family in the past that couldn't pay the fee. She'd bring in 2 boxes of tissues each month and bring in 3 bottles of hand sanitizer.

It worked for me!
That is an awesome idea!!! A supply fee every year on the anniversary of their start date. I spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on curriculum and supplies. I need to make some changes next year.

Thanks.
bice99 12:19 AM 08-20-2011
I now have a $100 reg fee which makes families shop around less. And then every July 1st, a $100 supply fee. Not due until the next year if they start after July. I opened in August and had lots of teacher's kids my first few years so that's just how my paperwork/fiscal year goes. New handbook goes out then, new forms for everyone too.
CheekyChick 07:23 AM 08-20-2011
Wow!!! $100.00 for registration and supply fees? That would be SO incredibly helpful and take a little of the financial strain off of me. I also like how you charge the supply fee at a different time of year. That way it doesn't seem like too much for the DP's to pay at one time.

Thanks for your input.
Rachel 03:48 AM 08-21-2011
Around here the standard is approximately $75/year, half paid in Nov & half in March. It's for supplies, books, toys, etc. It doesn't' mean I never spend my own money, but it does help offset costs.
Koukla 09:00 AM 08-21-2011
This is such a good idea. I have not yet charged a reg. fee and really think i should now that i see so many people do. also the supl. fee is a great idea too. i spend so much of my money on this stuff why not have a small fee to help with it.
CheekyChick 04:39 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Rachel:
Around here the standard is approximately $75/year, half paid in Nov & half in March. It's for supplies, books, toys, etc. It doesn't' mean I never spend my own money, but it does help offset costs.
I'm sure you still spend your own money, but it's wonderful that you get a little help. Thank you for your input.

Out of curiosity, do you need to be licensed in your country? How many children do you care for?
CheekyChick 04:40 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Koukla:
This is such a good idea. I have not yet charged a reg. fee and really think i should now that i see so many people do. also the supl. fee is a great idea too. i spend so much of my money on this stuff why not have a small fee to help with it.
That's what I'm thinking too!!! We spend SO much on extras, it would be nice to have the parents help with some basic supply costs.
Rachel 09:41 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I'm sure you still spend your own money, but it's wonderful that you get a little help. Thank you for your input.

Out of curiosity, do you need to be licensed in your country? How many children do you care for?
At the moment, you don't need and anyone can go "private" and work for themselves, but there are organizations that you can work for (so you are semi-independent), and the parents get discounts for sending to you (government discounts) because you are "official" (or I guess, licensed). I am going through the process now and starting in Sept. (until now I have been private). I can have up to 5 kids (6 if I have an extra for the day), and work a set schedule and hours. I also have to follow their ruiles, but because they refer kids to me once I get going I shouldn't have a problem staying full so it's worth it. Also there is one policy for things, so parents can't really argue it and if I have an issue I will have backup.
Tags:registration fee, supplies
Reply Up