Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Mom Lied To Me!
Angelwings36 03:30 PM 09-13-2011
So dcd drops off 15-month-old dcb boy with me this morning and everything 'appears' to be normal with child. Upon changing dcb's diaper I notice that he has a weird 'goose bump' like rash all over his whole body. I immediately text dcm about it. She responds,

"Yes I have noticed it. Should've told you, sorry. Its about a week and a half old and we don't know what it is. Is he scratching it?"

I respond,

"No. I hope it's not something contagious or all my kids will have it."

However, I really wanted to say; What! You mean you knew about the rash but didn't say anything to me!!!!!

dcm responds,

"Well my doctor didn't think it was much more than an allergy. Dcd and I don't have it so its not contagious whatever it is."

I respond,

"You took him to the doctor and the doctor was unsure what is was caused from?"

However, I really wanted to say; Are you telling me the truth, did you really take him to the doctor?

dcm responds,

"Well yeah but only because we're all unsure what he may have reacted to. I think either orange juice or latex. That or its eczema."

At this point I am totally pissed!

When dcm showed up to pick up son she said her sister said it may be an allergy or eczema, so totally let it slip that he had not seen a doctor!

I don't know what to do at this point. Should I just let it go? What if it is a food allergy, I would want to know what he is allergic to? I feel like telling mom that she can't bring dcb back until she gets a doctors note stating what the rash is or what it was caused by. Should I do that?

Dcb is only here casually that is why he was not here for the past week.
daycare 03:33 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
So dcd drops off 15-month-old dcb boy with me this morning and everything 'appears' to be normal with child. Upon changing dcb's diaper I notice that he has a weird 'goose bump' like rash all over his whole body. I immediately text dcm about it. She responds,

"Yes I have noticed it. Should've told you, sorry. Its about a week and a half old and we don't know what it is. Is he scratching it?"

I respond,

"No. I hope it's not something contagious or all my kids will have it."

However, I really wanted to say; What! You mean you knew about the rash but didn't say anything to me!!!!!

dcm responds,

"Well my doctor didn't think it was much more than an allergy. Dcd and I don't have it so its not contagious whatever it is."

I respond,

"You took him to the doctor and the doctor was unsure what is was caused from?"

However, I really wanted to say; Are you telling me the truth, did you really take him to the doctor?

dcm responds,

"Well yeah but only because we're all unsure what he may have reacted to. I think either orange juice or latex. That or its eczema."

At this point I am totally pissed!

When dcm showed up to pick up son she said her sister said it may be an allergy or eczema, so totally let it slip that he had not seen a doctor!

I don't know what to do at this point. Should I just let it go? What if it is a food allergy, I would want to know what he is allergic to? I feel like telling mom that she can't bring dcb back until she gets a doctors note stating what the rash is or what it was caused by. Should I do that?

Dcb is only here casually that is why he was not here for the past week.
NO RASHES IN DC!! lol

i fear rashes...lol I would require a doctors note with diganosis and a plan. I don't take anyones word anymore.... I would also tell DCM that this is grounds for termination and that she needs to consider the other children and your family.

ask her would you want someone else to bring their child here with and UNKNOWN rash?
I am sure that she would say NO...

I am sorry they put you in this situation and hope that you are able to get to the bottom of it..

good luck, being lied to SUCKS
MyAngels 03:37 PM 09-13-2011
"Gosh, I didn't realize your sister was a doctor. Please have her write a note with the diagnosis and treatment plan before you would like him to attend daycare next, as I can't provide care without it."
Angelwings36 04:50 PM 09-13-2011
How is this?

Hey ****,

I have decided that I cannot accept ******* into my care until I have a doctor’s note stating what *******’s rash is caused by. I wanted to say something to you when you were here today but at that point I was unsure on what I should do. There are two reasons for my decision:

1) Although you don’t think the rash he has is contagious because you and ****** have not gotten it, I do have children here with low immune systems that caught things much easier than others.
2) The liability risk I would be taking caring for a child who ‘may’ have an allergy to something that I am unaware of the source of goes through the roof. If ******* has a food related allergy I NEED to know what it is he is allergic to.

I know you said you already took him to the doctor and the rash may have been caused by an allergic reaction from orange juice or latex or that he may have eczema, but I need to have something on record myself especially if it is an allergy. The fact that the doctor was unaware of if it was an allergy or eczema leaves too much of a ‘risk’ window for me. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you but I have to look out for my daycare and my business as a whole.

Thanks.
daycare 04:58 PM 09-13-2011
this sounds good to me, but don't apoligize to her....your not inconveniencing her...She should want to take care of her child.

I might add in there that if he does have an allergy you never know how his body may respond the next time and it could be very dangerous for him. Also let her know that that you would hate to contribute to providing foods or materials that DCB is allergic to and the only way to know for sure it to have him tested by his doctor. While a mild rash could seem harmelss, it could end in something very serious.

When I was a child I had an allergic reaction to milk...First it was just a small rash, the next time I vomited until I ended up in the hosiptal for deyhdration. They chalked it up to stomach flu and sent me home after I was hydrated. The very next day I was taken by ambulance because I went into shock. I would not provide care without a note and plan of action...
Sorry I am babbling.....
Letter sounds good otherwise
Growing1atime 05:27 PM 09-13-2011
Do you have a health policy? I have a health policy that states that a child can not attend if there is a rash unless a doctor's note states it is not contagious.

Here is my little story: DCB comes on Friday, has a fever or 102 at nap time. Mom comes to get him. DCM texts me over the weekend dkb had a fever over the weekend but as of Sunday no more fever. DCB comes to DC on Monday, I notice a rash on his tummy, I tell dcd about it and show him. I tell him that the rash has to be gone by tomorrow or dcb can not attend. DCM drops baby off early the next morning with out a word and leaves while baby is still in car seat and she is on the blue tooth. Waves. I check baby as soon as he gets up. Rash is everywhere!!! I call dcm she is disturbed that she has to come get him. Tells me it is nothing but a heat rash, or something like that. I tell her to come and get dcb within the hour or the fees will start. ( I have a one hour pick up time, after that fees are five dollars every fifteen mins.) She picks him up, takes him to doctor. Baby has Roseloa. Very contagious. All of the babies in my daycare have now had Roseloa.

NO Rashes in Daycare!!!
nannyde 05:30 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
How is this?

Hey ****,

I have decided that I cannot accept ******* into my care until I have a doctor’s note stating what *******’s rash is caused by. I wanted to say something to you when you were here today but at that point I was unsure on what I should do. There are two reasons for my decision:

1) Although you don’t think the rash he has is contagious because you and ****** have not gotten it, I do have children here with low immune systems that caught things much easier than others.
2) The liability risk I would be taking caring for a child who ‘may’ have an allergy to something that I am unaware of the source of goes through the roof. If ******* has a food related allergy I NEED to know what it is he is allergic to.

I know you said you already took him to the doctor and the rash may have been caused by an allergic reaction from orange juice or latex or that he may have eczema, but I need to have something on record myself especially if it is an allergy. The fact that the doctor was unaware of if it was an allergy or eczema leaves too much of a ‘risk’ window for me. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you but I have to look out for my daycare and my business as a whole.

Thanks.
Nice Angel

I would leave out the sorry for inconvenience part but other than that.. NICE
Oneluckymom 08:47 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
"Gosh, I didn't realize your sister was a doctor. Please have her write a note with the diagnosis and treatment plan before you would like him to attend daycare next, as I can't provide care without it."
Love this.... Lol
cheerfuldom 08:11 AM 09-14-2011
i have "unexplained rashes" in my list of illnesses that keep a kid home from daycare, then i can easily refer to my contract and send him home till mom figures it out or it goes away
Angelwings36 09:29 AM 09-14-2011
I keep my list open ended...

I will provide childcare to children who are suffering from a minor cold. This includes a bit of a runny nose and a minor cough. Any other illnesses will not be permitted within our childcare home. This includes severe colds, flus of any kind, as well as any other contagious illnesses.

This includes symptoms such as:

o Extreme congestion; where a child is having a hard time eating and/or sleeping due to a stuffed up nose. Any kind of yellow or green mucus coming out of the child’s nose.
o Chronic coughing; where the child is coughing constantly or very frequently. When coughing causes the child to gag.
o Any FEVER whatsoever.
o Vomiting and/or nausea.
o Diarrhea
o Fatigue; changes in the child’s energy levels.
o Eye infections and/or throat infections.

Please keep in mind that this is not a full list and that I may refuse to provide childcare for a child even if the symptoms are different from the ones on this list.

If your child shows any signs of these symptoms please keep him/her home until the symptoms have completely cleared up.

I think the statement in red keeps me pretty safe to exclude for the rash.
caligirl 11:00 AM 09-14-2011
You know what I LOVE about this forum..........Is when I read stuff like this. It makes me realize that I'm not the only one dealing with all these things...... I've been a DCP for 26 years.......I love my job, love the children, but just as with every job, there are always issues we have to deal with. .......

I get a kick out of parents 'forgetting' to tell me when they drop off their child that they gave them Tylenol before bringing them.......hmmmm funny that 4 hrs after they are dropped off they have a fever......and when I call the mom to tell them I hear 'oh, well they were a little warm this morning so I gave him some Tylenol hoping that would make him better'.........ya, right mom...good try. Now come pick up your child.
Angelwings36 11:27 AM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
You know what I LOVE about this forum..........Is when I read stuff like this. It makes me realize that I'm not the only one dealing with all these things...... I've been a DCP for 26 years.......I love my job, love the children, but just as with every job, there are always issues we have to deal with. .......

I get a kick out of parents 'forgetting' to tell me when they drop off their child that they gave them Tylenol before bringing them.......hmmmm funny that 4 hrs after they are dropped off they have a fever......and when I call the mom to tell them I hear 'oh, well they were a little warm this morning so I gave him some Tylenol hoping that would make him better'.........ya, right mom...good try. Now come pick up your child.
Yep that erks me too! I have this statement in my contract about it:

Please note that I am aware of when a parent tries to mask a child’s fever with Tylenol in the morning to get them into daycare. This is completely unacceptable and can result in termination as it is a deliberate violation of my policies! Please be sure to follow my childcare policies!
Angelwings36 11:28 AM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:

Yep that erks me too! I have this statement in my contract about it:

Please note that I am aware of when a parent tries to mask a child’s fever with Tylenol in the morning to get them into daycare. This is completely unacceptable and can result in termination as it is a deliberate violation of my policies! Please be sure to follow my childcare policies!
cheerfuldom 03:59 PM 09-14-2011
I have similar wording in my contract about masking fevers. i have parents that use tylenol constantly. one was dosing a child every morning for weeks in hopes that this would help with a crying issue we were having. i put it stop to it as soon as i found out. people think tylenol is the end all for unwanted behavior and thats a whole other thread.
Tags:lie, parent lied, sick, sick policy
Reply Up